Portal Breach: The Collision of Worlds :: v.4.0

Drifting Aimlessly (tag: Zurg, those with permission)

Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Drifting Aimlessly (tag: Zurg, those with permission)

Post by Zurg on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:52 pm

"Hmm, same." Zurg agreed, nodding his head slightly with what Lawrence had said. Seemed they both related on something, even if it was small talk. The Evil Emperor enjoyed small talk; sometimes it was more meaningful than a serious conversation. To shoot the breeze, as they said. With a sigh the alien tipped his head back and gazed at the stars, his eyes drifting from wayward cluster to wayward cluster. "Relaxing is harder than it looks, isn't it? To people like us, who are brought into this existence to only serve, it's quite frustrating when those around you can't seem to understand why you never take a day off or why you pause to enjoy yourself. I suppose that's why I wander. I have to keep my feet moving and my body going, or I just settle and experience decay. I don't like the feeling of decay." And this world was very good at making one feel so useless and lost.

Bringing his gaze back down, the Evil Emperor instead chose to slightly glance over to Lawrence. "You don't have to remain at the factory, you know." He told the minion. "Unlike my other staff, I trust you enough. If you want to take the day off, then take the day off. There's hardly any reason to keep alert all the time, and SIR can handle the slack while you're away." How charitable of the despot. Why was he being so personable?

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 pm

At the mention of SIR, Lawrence fidgeted a little bit. Augh, the butler was here to help discuss your problems, Zurg, not his own! Even so, he couldn't rightly ignore it or he would break the flow of the conversation. Sighing a little, he spoke. "Actually, the problem seems to be the opposite. There's not all that much for me to do at the factory at this point; SIR is more than capable of handling everything by itself. All I have to do is run a few checks of things in the morning after coming online, then the rest of my day is free. I don't usually stay around for long afterward. SIR is always there, always watching . . . it makes me uncomfortable, to be honest."

The butler shook his head, trying not to think about it. "Work is the last thing we should be discussing, I think perhaps a subject change is in order..." Lawrence thought for a moment until he came up with something else. "Ah, have you seen Jo since our shopping trip last month? I've seen her a few times in the Sanctuary, but not for very long . . . I hope that new house of hers is still working out for her and Proxy."

Innocent words, but it was only after he spoke them that he realized that Zurg's problem might have something to do with Jo. Inwardly he hoped that wasn't the case, though fate just loved to screw with him at times like this.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Opposite? SIR? Perhaps he knew this and perhaps not, Zurg sighed and let his shoulders droop. "Ah, you're right. Work isn't something we should be focusing on when it's all we ever do." It's all they had ever known, too. Yes, a subject change would do some good. The Evil Emperor would have asked how Lawrence was, until the robot brought up a certain heart throb. Hearing about Jo always got the bitter alien to smile, and he did crack a teeny, longing grin. "Yes, actually." This was a highlight in Zurg's life. "She devised this wonderful scavenger hunt, allowing me to relieve some fond memories, and we ultimately had dinner and a dance. It was wonderful being by ourselves, not worrying about others. I really loved the intimacy." And her new house?

He tapped a tooth. "Apart from her leaving it a mess, she's doing fine with it. I help her around with small things, but other than that? Jo is enjoying herself. You should visit, Lawrence. I know she would like that." He couldn't speak for Proxy, of course, but the invitation was there. However, it didn't seem like Jo was the latest issue with the tyrant. In fact, discussing all things Jo-related only made him happier, if only for a little while.

What, then, was the problem? It didn't seem like Zurg was going to outright say, as he addressed the butler this time. "What about you, Lawrence? Find any meaning in your life?"

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:53 am

When Zurg mentioned visiting Jo, Lawrence nodded, smiling a bit. "I was thinking about asking her if I could stay for the night, actually. I will return to the factory in the morning, of course, but I just don't want to spend the night alone. There's plenty of room on that new couch of hers, I'm sure she won't mind letting me stay for a while."

As for the Evil Emperor's questions, well, those dampened the robot's mood just a little. That last one was particularly frustrating. "I'm faring relatively well, I suppose . . . I haven't hit a low as terrible as those few weeks after my last encounter with NOS-4-A2, so I'm thankful for that, at least. As for finding meaning, I'm afraid I haven't had much luck with that. It's difficult enough to begin with, and my programming certainly doesn't help. I'm not giving up, though."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:05 am

Trouble in life, eh? Weren't they all, weren't they all. A chuckle escaped from the Evil Emperor's broad chest, and he knew the feeling. "Can't seem to find your place in things, mm? Yes, yes. It's not a particularly good feeling, is it? Don't worry, Lawrence." He told the robot. "You'll find something or someone to set you straight. Who knows? Maybe you'll wake up one morning and realize... you don't want to serve a master anymore, or you long for companionship. I'm sure it happens, even to robots such as yourself. Perhaps it takes the right set of events." Some rather positive advice coming from a rather realistic man.

But once NOS-4-A2's name breached the conversation, the Evil Emperor withdrew into silent contemplation, his face slightly mournful. "Ah, yes. NOS-4-A2. I don't think you need to worry about the energy vampire. Something tells me that it will reap what its sown. Just you wait, Lawrence. Anyway..." The alien shook his head and fanned away those unneeded thoughts for the time being. He wanted to focus on better things, not bitter things. "Is there something you want to ask me? You seem to have questions on the mind, or... I could just be grasping at straws. I've been rather distant from people as of late. My deduction hasn't been at its best. Isolation does that to you, I'm afraid."

Speaking of that, Zurg randomly tapped his pointed talons upon the hardened table, producing a light rhythm that only he knew the meaning to. "Hmm, I wonder sometimes..." He randomly muttered.

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:29 am

Lawrence took the advice to 'heart', even though he really couldn't see himself not working for Zurg, at least as long as they were still trapped in this strange world. As for seeking companionship? Pfft, while he may have been somewhat attracted to his boss previously, that particular target was the definition of 'out of reach', and no one else even came close to striking his interest that way. "Anything is possible, I suppose, even if those examples are rather unlikely."

At the Evil Emperor's words about NOS-4-A2, the butler smirked to himself. Well, he certainly hoped the arrogant energy sucker became a victim of its own hubris, but didn't speak that aloud as Zurg changed the subject almost immediately. At first Lawrence really couldn't think of something to ask his master, not off the top of his processor anyway. He was lost in thought for a few moments when he remembered something that bothered him, something he was wondering about ever since it happened.

The butler glanced to Zurg, genuine curiosity in his expression. "This will likely seem rather random, but do you remember when you installed my latest upgrades months ago? When you turned to leave, you whispered something to me in your native tongue; I've never been able to puzzle out what it meant."

"X'iita."
    There had been a pause before Lawrence said it, as he tried to wrangle his voice modulator into reproducing it properly. It wasn't perfect, as nothing other than a X'rghthu could truly replicate that language, but it was very close. "Yes, that was the word, or perhaps it was a name. In either case, why did you whisper that to me? What meaning does it have?"
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:39 pm

"Yes... Anything is possible. Anything is possible." Never say never like Zurg had. Never say never. One day the robot may be lucky enough to find his true calling. One day.

Here, however, is where Lawrence took the conversation to a most interesting turn. In fact, it was one the Evil Emperor almost hadn't seen coming. Yes, Zurg did remember installing Lawrence's recent upgrades and he vaguely remembered saying something. It wasn't every day he was given a breather to speak naturally, but he did recall something faint. What Lawrence tried to sincerely reproduce with his inadequate speech processes certainly got the alien to burst into a fit of jovial laughter, though. "Ahahaha! Wait, wait! What did you call me!? Ahahahaaaa!" Apparently the butler had said the wrong thing!

But Zurg did settle down, wiping a weepy tear from his eye, and he tried to stop from chuckling. "Oh, that was rich... I always love it when you outsiders try to repeat our language. Gets me every time. You're too much, Lawrence." He hiccuped while trying to keep from grinning, even if it was hard on him. "You must mean the name X'iita (SHEE-tah), not the derogatory word x'iita (SHAY-tah). There's a great difference." Zurg just ended up making another gurgle of air, and snickered impishly as a result. Not that Lawrence would know the difference, and that's what made it so hilarious!

"I told you that because it's some fool's name, Lawrence! Well, a part of his name, but it's his name more or less. It is a fragment of the word x'iitatklghrr (SHEE-tahtkel-ghAR), which pretty much means mercy. Otherwise, x'iita in your first context means shameful, and that's a very big insult. You don't call someone x'iita unless you can handle lots and LOTS of angry, snarling mes." There, that's your meaning, Lawrence. But as for why? Zurg paused and ended up scratching a section of his neck, still looking up at the sky for no apparent reason. "Hmm... why did I tell you that. I normally don't tell people my name, so I'm trying to remember why. Maybe I was mourning who I once was? I don't know. I just know that's my name. What's your name mean, Lawrence?" The alien suddenly asked again, blurting. "We don't have a word for Lawrence. Surely you have a meaning, too."

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Oh, har-har. The fact that Lawrence's voice modulator had picked that moment to glitch a little bit had to be the most hilarious thing ever. The robot rolled his optics at that, but listened to Zurg's explanation without glaring at him too much. When the Evil Emperor seemed to be finished, the butler spoke again, this time pronouncing the name perfectly. Given it was his master's real name or part of it, rarely told to anyone, something so special deserved to be said properly. "Well, I certainly don't believe X'iita is the name of a fool..."

Zurg suddenly asking about Lawrence's name caught him by surprise, and he blinked in confusion for a second. "My name, Your Evilness?" It took him a moment to look up the relevant information in his memory banks, mainly because it wasn't something he thought about very often. "Oh, it's a rather boring name, really. It's derived from the name of an ancient city on Marcadia, which in turn was derived from the plants that grew in and around that city. There were a few Cazar heroes and saints that also shared my name . . . I always found that part a bit ironic, considering my line of work."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:49 pm

"Eh..." Zurg shrugged and held out his palms, shaking them in a little gesture. "I never really liked the name. Parents thought it was funny. You know what my nickname was growing up around the same time Basic was picked up via radio waves? X'iit (...shit). I'm not kidding." There was a shudder and the alien wished those skeletons in his closet away. "I prefer Zurg much better. It's rather unique, you know." And the best part was, it didn't sound like you were snorting up a booger. Anyway, enough about him.

Hearing where Lawrence's name came from struck Zurg's curiosity nerve. "Oh?" He ended in an upturned note. "My, my... Your name is associated with noble intentions, Lawrence. That's certainly not boring. What are the Cazar and this city, Marcadia? I don't really know much about your galaxy. I just know that they design robots who look like rather dapper penguins." Har har har, right back at you.

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:54 am

Lawrence winced in sympathy at the nickname but didn't comment on it when he saw Zurg shudder. Some skeletons in the closet were best not dwelt upon. As for the actual names, he felt both were rather unique in their own ways.

Then the Evil Emperor focused the conversation on his minion once again, and that earned a bit of a confused blink before Lawrence realized he hadn't quite given enough information. "Ah; apologies, Your Evilness. I seem to have left a few things out. The planet was Marcadia, the ancient city was called Laurentum, and the very old name where my own had its origins was Laurentius. Literally translated that name only meant 'from Laurentum'."

He paused for a moment, retrieving his datapad from his internal storage. "As for the Cazar, they were the only sentients native to Marcadia, a race of bipedal feline organics with a natural aptitude for politics and governing. Their planet eventually became the seat of Solana's galactic government." Lawrence tapped a few buttons on his datapad, bringing up a hologram of a female Cazar. "This is Captain Sasha Phyronix, a descendant of the commander I served. Her resemblance to her great-grandmother Anna is rather uncanny, though. That made things rather interesting when Nefarious decided to make his move against Solana, and the young captain here was assigned to hunt us down. Especially given a certain promise I made years before . . ."

Lawrence glanced up at the stars as his master was doing earlier, his mind drifting in remembrance of the woman he served, and her great-granddaughter who he ended up standing against.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Ohh... Lawrence meant 'from Laurentum'. Zurg could admire that, and he waited patiently for Lawrence to finish explaining his name's origins. "So. Your name comes from a bunch of proper-sounding Carries, from the gist of it." There was no effort to hide the snark there. And upon seeing the hologram of a Cazar, he snorted a bit and was proven only correct. "A Cazar, hmm? And a Captain at that. Seems you and this Nefarious fellow were wanted scums of the universe. I barely remember him. He was very loud and... inept at times. Had this peculiar tendency to snap into a soap opera broadcast whenever agitated." Not that Lawrence wanted to recall older, more asinine bosses so Zurg left it at that.

What he did pick up, however, was how Lawrence reacted at the end of his explanations. "A promise, huh. Yes, I can understand that very well, very well. It's why I don't make them too often and without much deliberation. You don't have to divulge further, Lawrence. It's personal, I reckon." And since Zurg, himself, was a very private being then he would not be hypocritical to someone else he held in high regards.

"Well..." He began again, moving the topic away so the robot wouldn't feel uncomfortable. "Looks like our names have more in common than we'd think, Lawrence. Your name means 'from Laurentum', and Zurg, or rather, X'rg (SH-rgh), means 'child of X'rghthung'. I'd say that's pretty close enough." And who said language barriers were what kept people apart these days?

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Lawrence wouldn't have minded going into details, really, but when Zurg started to change the subject, he switched his datapad off and it disappeared back into his storage. He did add one detail, however. "I did manage to keep my promise, if that's worth anything. Sasha survived the conflict and will have some interesting war stories to tell her children, should she have any."

On the subject change, the butler's expression turned thoughtful. "We have much in common indeed, Your Evilness, and not just the meanings of our names. Certain motivations, our devotion to duty, having only a handful of people that we truly care about and will defend ferociously, and our tendency to hide it when something might be wrong, among other things." That thoughtful expression turned a bit more pointed, Lawrence giving Zurg his full attention. "I am enjoying the small talk, but there was something bothering you at the start of this. I would very much like to know what it is, though if you're still not feeling up to it, we can continue to talk of other subjects. As stated earlier, whatever you have to say, I will listen."

His words were not forceful in any way, just a gentle nudge to try and get the Emperor to open up a bit more. If it didn't work, Lawrence wouldn't press the issue. Inwardly he hoped it would work; he was still worried about his master and wanted to help, but he could only do that if Zurg would let him.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Ah, figures the robot would draw back to that. Lawrence was a smart lad; always was even before he met the Evil Emperor. How strange that the butler sought to walk alongside the tattered edges of acceptable society... Maybe they both had a great deal to learn about, after all. That would have to wait for another opportunity, however. Now, Lawrence wanted to know something that had been plaguing the alien for some length of time.

"You want to know what ails me." Who didn't want to know what ailed the alien. Whereas Zurg had been perfectly robust and healthy merely a week ago, he was now pallid and exhausted indefinitely. Why? What had brought about this sudden and silent change? Finally he spoke, but the words would be far from comforting. "You are in terrible danger, Lawrence. And not only you... No..." The Evil Emperor shook his head, gazing ahead with those glassed eyes. "You, and everyone on this miserable world are in grave, terrible danger. I could not stop it. It struck too fast. It has already set its sights upon Portal Breach, Lawrence."

Here the Evil Emperor turned, and he slowly dropped his gaze upon the robot. "If you are wise, you will flee before it does. I came back to this world to take one last look upon it and to warn those I care for. The rest... It is inevitable."

...Well, this certainly wasn't any good news.

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:53 am

That had been the absolute last thing Lawrence was expecting, and his optics widened slightly in shock. He recovered quickly enough though, especially given the bad feeling inspired by Zurg's last few sentences. "This entire planet is in danger? I believe you, you would not be so stressed otherwise. I would like to know where exactly I am supposed to flee to, however; if this is anything like the Dark business, then given enough time eventually no point in the entire gamma will be safe. Not only that, I for one would rather fight than roll over and die . . . most of the others on this world would agree with me, I know it. If we were to notify everyone, I'm sure they would help deal with the problem; that seems to be the way this place works. Yes, working with the side of good goes against my nature, but if Nefarious could handle working with three of his enemies, I'm certainly not going to be outdone..."

The butler's optics narrowed, then, and he reached over and grasped Zurg's hand. Lawrence wisely kept his left arm, the one with his off switch, well away from the Evil Emperor, however. "If I did not know better, it would seem you're planning to go off and face this danger alone, even when you know it's futile. Just like when you tried and failed to protect Jo, Proxy, and I from your madness when Dark was still skulking about." His grip tightened a bit. "I stood against what was effectively a god of darkness in order to save you once, I will stand against whatever this is as well . . ."

Inwardly, Lawrence braced himself for Zurg's reaction, as it could range anywhere from being ordered to run or all the way to an attack meant to disable him.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Lawrence could have never been more wrong. When normally the Evil Emperor's typical response to anyone touching him would have been a snarl and a death threat, the alien barely gave the robot a flinch. It was like he didn't even resist Lawrence's physical and verbal assertion. In fact, he hadn't. "I am afraid I do not intend to fight what is about to come, Lawrence. Please understand." Was Zurg literally saying that he would not stand up against whatever this was, this mysterious entity that he would not tell the minion for whatever odd reason? "I have lost something precious to me, and I cannot attend two crucial matters at once. Either I take care of her, or I let her die. And me, with her. I have no choice. I must abandon Portal Breach." And so, too, abandon everyone on Portal Breach.

The frail hand Lawrence had gripped so tightly now came alive, previously limp, metal fingers overpowering the butler's hold within moments. Now Zurg was holding the robot's hand tightly, and the alien brought Lawrence closer. "I cannot tell you what it is, because I don't know what it is. Not anymore. If you decide to fight, as I predicted, then you fight against not a god, but yourselves. The madness that had gripped us all when Dark walked the world was an excuse for myself; an excuse to set things in motion. Now that pendulum swings back, and the fate of everyone hangs on all of your shoulders. Fight, or die; the outcome will remain the same, Lawrence. You have been warned, and that is all I can do." And alas, the tyrant let Lawrence free from his hold, the boundaries of master and minion clearly set once again.

Was this what Lawrence had been expecting?

Current date/time is Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:42 am