Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: By the Lake

Post by Zurg on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:20 am

"What do you mean, how did that get there. Your head is just riddled with hair, Jo." To emphasize he wiggled his entire hand (which wasn't very small to begin with) and he demonstrated how the mechanic's hair had just gobbled it up like it was what for dinner. Why, he could barely even see his knuckles peek through the unruly sort! "I repeat: you are covered in hair." Zurg didn't know whether to be disgusted or shocked, and that went double for her comment about rice cakes. Did she mean actual rice cakes, or...?

You know what, he didn't want to know. He had just focused on getting back his berries, which... didn't go over so well with the squealing woman. Now what?

Zurg had to listen to Jo rant this time, and he gave her this perplexed look. "Huh? I just wanted to get my berries. You were sitting on them, and since I'm not a Tangean I can't just ghost my hand through you! What, you expect me to move you like a stone and put you back as if you were some lawn ornament?" If anyone should be watching their hands, it was Jo! She was the one scrambling all over him and sticking her fingers, elbows, knees, face in just about everything of his. What about his feelings? His personal space? No one stopped to think about that, huh!?

But, he was going to be a good sport about it (this time), and things quickly settled down. Jo was appeased, finally, at the sugary sacrifice and he was left to stare at the land, watching the colours turn and the atmosphere alter the lower the sun scrolled to the horizon. Such a bright, vivid light a yellow star was... no wonder his eyes wept from time to time. Still, it did make a world absolutely beautiful to look at, colours normally dark and boring to him standing out and confident. Humans had it so well, and they didn't even know it. And speaking of humans, this human was using him like some sort of exotic, one-of-a-kind recliner. Oh, the irony. You know, Jo nibbling like that was very reminiscent of a squirrel or other type of vermin. Were humans related to vermin? It would explain so much, BUT, Zurg was going to be smart and keep the thought within that scheming head of his. For his sanity, you understand.

Instead of stirring the pot he yawned, growing lax again and leaned back into the trunk of the tree behind. Fire ants were still on his mind, don't think they weren't, but so long as he didn't disturb him then the relationship was mutual. And speaking of relationships, Zurg silently wrapped his arms around Jo and the motion was fluid. You know, it was humourous -- at least in his mind. Here he was, admiring a lake on some world he had once considered backwater with Jo. If he had never met Jo, you know what he would have done? He would have enslaved the lake population, drained the water, put the slaves to work in his new rock quarry and then built an army or whatever his evil mind could devise to crush Portal Breach. But, because he met Jo, you know what he had to make...

Sacrifices.

So, be glad that he met Jo and didn't enslave Lochlann, drained the lake, and used the minerals to produce something heinous.

Ahh, the world was always about sacrifices. And, what? Zurg drew out of the mental what-if, and had to rethink Jo's question several times. That... inquiry was oddly specific, and he wasn't sure if he could answer right away. Did she ask how bonds worked? Oh, he was the absolute last person to ask that question. Here came the awkward monster rearing its awful head, and the alien felt put on the spot. "Uhh... Would you... be surprised if I didn't really... know?" Just because he was an alien didn't mean he understood his people's ways entirely! Maybe he should explain a bit more. "I-I mean, ahem." Zurg cleared his throat and tried to think. Why did she want to know this right now? "I wasn't supposed to learn of it until I was of age, which... oh, is about another century from now. I only know of some offhand experience, but other than that... I'm afraid I really can't answer the question. It doesn't really have a defined answer."

When he put it like that, he really did seem kind of lame... What kind of alien didn't know about his own damn people!?

Zurg, naturally. Always Zurg. Oh, and Megamind.

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:28 am

Jo laughed helplessly. She was covered from head to toe in hair, she knew. Sometimes, shaving was such a chore. And it didn't help that she liked keeping her hair long, rain or shine. Looking at his fingers sticking up from between her curls, she couldn't resist pinching one of his fingers. "I get the message. I'm as hairy as my evolutionary ancestors." Now all she needed to do was imitate their jeering howl, and they were set. Oh, and walk around naked, but there was no way in the cosmos Jo would ever do that.

"You could have just asked me to move. 'Jo, you're sitting on my berries and I'm hungry. Please remove your fat behind from my lap so that I may feast on my meal.' I wouldn't have minded that." She even tried imitating his voice, but she sounded nowhere near as dual-toned as him.

But since he'd already gotten his berries and no harm had been done besides Jo getting heated up, they lapsed into a comfortable silence, gazing and admiring at the scenery while the mechanic reposed in the ruler's arms. And while Jo nibbled on her treat absent-mindedly, watching the small ripples in the lake and the sunlight that was starting to cast shadows across the area, Jo knew she was pleasantly content. She liked sitting here with Zurg, doing absolutely nothing. And she liked it even more when he wrapped his arms around her comfortably. Yay, he was the perfect heater for dropping temperatures! All natural too. Say, was that gas? Nah.

But she eventually did ask him a question, and he answered. Or tried to, the poor guy. Jo felt a little disappointed that he didn't really know, but it wasn't his fault. She threaded her fingers through his and squeezed his hand. "Well, it's okay if you don't really know. What about the little that you remember?" she asked. Maybe he knew, maybe he didn't, but hey, it wasn't like Jo absolutely had to know. It was mostly because she was curious to know more about his culture. She remembered him saying that relationships were very serious to him and his people after all. You only bonded once, for life. And it was such a sweet idea compared to humans and their sexual appetites. Ugh, so do not want.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Blah, all that hair! How did Jo live with herself? Then again, Zurg did like rifling his fingers through her long tresses whenever they weren't covered in sweat, oil, and grease. His hands were very sensitive to these sorts of things, you know. The hands of a god did not like being tainted by the impurities of a mortal! But the god did like having the mortal resting upon his chest, the two of them spending some quality alone time together. Just the closeness was good enough for him, and please! Jo walking around naked would do no one any good. Not even him, as he liked his eyes very much.

"Nah, that takes way too much time and effort, Jo." He chuckled. Say, that was a pretty good impression. Was she scowling as she spoke? Zurg felt impish and he pinched her nose lightly, wiggling it before the release. "I'd rather make you blush and secretly snicker at how rosy your cheeks get~!" Like beets, now that he thought about it. At least he didn't have that problem. Little Josie with her rosy cheeks~! Oh Cosmos, she'd probably sock it to him and hard. Maybe even bruise his cheeks a nice, solid black.

Too bad she couldn't sock the information out of him, however. Zurg was at a near complete loss at the topic of bonding. Well, why would he know? He was really a young adult, pushing the teenager status for a human being. At best he knew offhand accounts from others, but... "It's... not as simple as the human concept of marriage, let's just put it like that." Oh, if only it were so mundane. Zurg had to think now, and he fidgeted to get the blood flow back into his lower legs, toes wiggling. It's for life, yes, and divorce is a completely alien topic to us. When we court, it's typically for about decades -- some even went to a century. You can see that this life change takes incredible amounts of time and effort. We're -- ah, I mean -- we weren't careless with our partners. This was the most serious bond you could achieve second to that of your government, or your world duty." What he had just stated were the mere technicalities. He didn't know the finer details. He had never bonded to know!

"I don't know what it's supposed to feel like or how it's even supposed to look like, but I have heard some say in the past that when you bond with another it's supposed to be the best feeling in the universe. Don't quote me on that, though." Don't, because others would say that eating was the best feeling, or having sex was the best feeling -- things like that. It all depended on the species and ultimately, the person. Personally, the best feeling in the universe for Zurg was knowing that he was safe and that those he cared about were safe. Security was always a big must-have for him.

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:31 am

Then he had to mess around with her hair when she'd recently showered and hadn't gone to work yet. It would be the only way for him to avoid the sweat, grease and oil. But good luck finding a day that Jo didn't work. Maybe on a holiday, and he'd have to try it sometime before noon before she had to leave for work. Then, and only, then, was he guaranteed to get the best feeling experience from her hair. Or really late in the evening after she'd showered again. Essentially, all he had to do was hang around Jo all day, and eventually, he'd get to feel her hair untainted. But Jo liked her personal space, so the idea of Zurg hovering over her shoulder like a shadow all day just waiting for the chance to run his hands through her hair looked a little weird in her head.

But he pinched her nose, claiming that he liked seeing her blush, which got her cheeks to flush again. Oh, cosmos, why did her body betray her so. "Oh, so you like seeing me go red. Now I wonder how you'd look like blushing. I might have to test it out sometime~" She could always try whispering into his horn again, but right now she was too comfortable resting against his chest in his lap to want to ruin the moment. So she continued to play with his fingers, listening curiously, nodding every now and then.

"I really like that idea -- of being faithful to one person and one person alone." As for courting for decades, if it was for years, that would be something for humans. Decades, humans would just wither away and die. They were lucky if they lived a century. The short timespan was possibly one of the reasons humans were so erratic and got easily swept off their feet. And yes, Jo did get the occasional twinge of an urge or two, but she wouldn't act upon them. She respected Zurg more than that.

"Human marriage isn't that simple, but it's not that complicated either. The man proposes to the girl, usually by giving her a ring, and that ring becomes the engagement ring. Then, their families usually plan the wedding -- actually, it's usually the bride's family that does most of the planning -- and then they get married with some sort of ceremony and wear fancy clothes -- the bride wears white, the groom black -- and exchange vows and rings. And that means they're married until death parts them. Usually. But you know how humans are. If they start arguing every day, or don't feel a spark anymore, that's that." Was it so painfully obvious that Jo's knowledge was minimized to what she'd seen in movies and heard from other people? She didn't have first-hand experience from her parents to judge on. They'd died too early, and they'd had a civil marriage due to a lack of funds.

Jo smiled and hugged Zurg's arm, smiling happily at that. "I like that more than what humans say on marriage. A lot of people say marriage is like a trap or cage and the end of freedom. I... never thought that, not when I looked at my parents. They didn't have a formal or official marriage, but they were really happy together." She sunk into his arms, thoughtful. "To me, marriage just makes things official. It's just a fancy way of two people making their union official. But it can be kind of romantic too. Wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone else... it sounds scary, but it also sounds comforting. You won't ever be alone, as long as you've got that one person you can depend and count on with you..."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:16 am

No, can't say that Zurg had the patience to shadow Jo all day, sighing at her antics and endless naivety. But after a shower, you say? That would be the best time to run his fingers through Jo's hair. Not to mention she would smell nice and her skin would the smoothest since it'd be free of dirt. Wouldn't you agree that baby-soft skin was better than oily, gritty skin? "Oh, you will never see me blush." And he said that with such a grin upon his face, eyes closed and smug. "My skin is too thick and I have that layer of blubber, remember? Just one of the many traits I have an advantage over compared to you." Of course, the disadvantage was having his horns be shameless tuning forks and when those tuning forks were struck the wrong way, watch out. Sometimes the unforeseen interaction made his toes curl, among other things.

"Eh, it's an honest concept but I find it a tad idealistic." Not that Zurg was saying go out and cheat with everything that had genitals, but he was being real here. Most people and species didn't court for decades and they didn't stay faithful to one spouse for their entire life. "Technically, our birth rates were so low it would have actually been more attractive to have multiple partners, but since natality rates weren't increasing even then, it was ultimately ruled that one partner is enough. That, and it's also to not contaminate a really limited gene pool since generations are so rare." No inbreeding, thank you. That was a crime where he came from!

Oh? Jo knew things about human marriage? He listened carefully and found some things rather strange. A ring? With a shiny rock? Gender differentiation for a unifying partnership? Social rules? Well, the last one he could relatively understand. All societies had societal rules. "You know, I never did understand that." He murmured. "What is the importance of having a ring around the fingers? Why two for one meaning? And how come the male proposes while the female takes care of the planning? For us, we didn't do rings but ink. The ink is really ceremonial than something to be flaunted about, and as for planning? Typically either both families plan it, or the community plans it if the bonding couple are prestigious enough. It depends on several factors. You know when I made the joke that while humans had four bases, we had over twenty? I wasn't kidding. Steps are important in the eyes of your peers and elders." Surely there had to be something more to human marriage besides rings and vows. No wonder they didn't last long from relationship to relationship! Maybe Jo was doing her best and didn't quite understand the concept, like him with bonding? Maybe.

While Jo was all snug as a bug in his arms, Zurg thought about what he viewed in terms of lifelong commitment. "I find it scary." He admitted openly. "I mean, you humans can just divorce and move on. Us? Once you bond, that's it. You can't take another bonded, even when your bonded dies. It really is til death do you part, as you said. Because of how strict it is, bonds are not taken lightly. Many fear a sour bond more than death, and for good reason. A life in a cage is a terrible way to live." Unless you were a prisoner in his dungeon, in which he allotted you exercise, meals, and lodging. How generous of him! "While our bonds are not something to be put on documents or paid for, they are acknowledged communally. You don't do anything until you bond, and you are expected to be chaste up to that point. Bastard children are severely frowned upon, as that mixes the bloodlines and is highly immoral in our society."

Talk about a super strict, rigid world. Half the human population would be exterminated overnight.

((Our nights just get later and later, don't they?))

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:17 am

Just because she was a little... naive didn't mean that she didn't know about danger. Cosmos, danger started with the capital letter Z. Uh-huh, you read that right. And maybe someday Zurg would be lucky enough to do that. Someday, far, far away. Jo was usually usually cold after she hopped out of the shower, after all. She would not object to a viable heating source, nosiree. "Ohhoho!" Jo pinched one of his cheeks with a sly grin of her own. "We'll have to see about that, Big Z," she promised with a little tap on his nose. "I bet I'll find a way to penetrate all that blubber and get you blushing like a little choir boy someday~"

Jo thought about that for a bit. She had wondered why they hadn't encouraged that practice with his people since birth rates were so low, but if it didn't make a difference regardless, then it was best to stay faithful to one partner. But it also begged the question of why Zurg's people had such low birth rates in the first place. You'd think that evolution would fit a species with a more viable and dependable way of surviving into the next generation. And if you think about it, if there was only ever one child to one union, their species wasn't flourishing -- it was only leading itself to genocide even faster.

"Big Z?" Jo asked, shifting a bit in his arms to get more comfortable. "Why did your people have such low birth rates in the first place? I mean, I know that the cycles of both partners need to match up, but it always struck me as odd that most couples only ever had one child. It sounds almost as if... your people didn't have a chance from the start to survive..."

Oh, and he got confused by the rings. It figured. Jo didn't know why they were so important herself, but she tried to reason it out in a way he'd understand. "Well, I guess the rings symbolize a promise. A promise that the two will stay faithful to each other, and that one day they will wed -- or bond, as you'd say. And maybe the rings are also there so single people know that the person is taken and they are not supposed to flirt or mess around with them. You wouldn't believe how many people bypass that, though," the mechanic added with a small snort. But wow, it seemed like bonding was really important for Zurg's people. "What was the ink used for?" She never thought they'd be into tattooing. She thought that was... a Sul thing? Zurg had mention that Suls were more freestyle than the rest of his people.

"I know there are some humans who follow even that. For them, it's a one-time deal. It can be sad, but I also think it's very noble. It's sad because they'll be alone forever, but it's also noble in a way because you know what what that person felt was real, and they won't settle for anything less than the one person they cared and loved for. But I also think that the one who passed away wouldn't want their loved one to mourn them forever. They'd want them to be happy, even if that means finding happiness in someone else's arms." Jo exhaled and scratched her head. "It actually sounds really complicated when you think about it that way! Neither prospect sounds that appealing... But as for bastard children, humans did that all the time. The just can't keep their legs closed." Did they never hear about contraception? Why did every couple have to go at it like bunnies? Sure, Jo probably wouldn't mind getting physical, but not all the time! That would be tiring and something she'd probably get bored of pretty quickly. There were loads more things you could do with other people. And there were other ways of getting rid of urges instead of acting upon them, thank you very much.

It just depended on the person, really. Jo had met some decent people, although they were few and far in between. And she'd never been the kind of person to enter a relationship without a good reason to. As for marriage, or bonding, she'd never really thought about those subjects either until now. It was interesting to hear about the different ways of going about it, but Jo herself had never pictured herself in that light before. She huffed and looked out at the lake. Everything just seemed more complicated than it should be.

(( It's a bad habit we need to break out of! ))
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:56 am

Hey, stop pinching his cheek and jerking the skin back and forth! Zurg just let out a small growl and narrowed his eyes, the alien finding Jo's choice of words strange. "Choir boy?" He snorted incredulously. "Are you trying to convert my heathen, alien soul or are you just a pedophile. I am technically a minor, you know." Eat it and weep, Jo. Take those implications and run with them. Blushing like a little child... As if! Zurg didn't do blushing! Like, ever! Stuttering and appearing flustered, yes. Blushing, no. Maybe a really deep purple hue, though... O-Only if he ever blushed, that was! (Which he does, naturally).

Boy, it must have been Ask Zurg about His Culture Day today, because Jo was more curious than usual. "And why do humans have such high birth rates?" A logical counter-question. "Simply put, the survival of your species relies on continuous births so that you don't die out. Your kind are fragile and short-lived compared to mine, Jo. Having children quickly is not within our biological best interests. We live for too long and we have cultivated our world to the point where it is stable. Er, in some areas. Because of that and over the countless generations, our natality rates just... plummeted. As for why bonded predominately had one child?" That, he had to think back upon. "I wouldn't be able to tell you from a clear-cut scientific viewpoint as that wasn't my specialty, but I can tell you that even though most bonded had one child, that was more than enough to keep us going. As I said, we live for far too long and there are hardly any natural predators at the poles. In a way, it balances itself out as nature always tends to manage." Stemming from a sociological and economic standpoint, it made sense to Zurg. Fewer people meant more resources, and more resources meant a more cooperative environment between factions; thus, making it easier to control and rule. While his kind's low birth rate was seen as a curse, it did bring with it several blessings. One just had to think of all the possible outcomes to understand what they were.

But he did understand why Jo had asked the question. As a human, she was probably used to seeing most human couples popping out children like it was bread in a toaster. That trait most likely spawned from the fact that humans, back in the day, had been the prey and not the predator from whatever primordial world they came from. Having children quickly replenished their ranks quickly and that was very beneficial in ensuring the species survived.

"So... you give each other shiny rocks embedded within precious, but useless while on your finger, metals." Yeeeeah, wasn't making much sense to Zurg, but what did he know? The important thing was that he understood why humans did it, so he wasn't as critical. "I can't say we had items of possession that symbolized how one was taken -- normally people knew and respected that. It was seen as common courtesy." And what was the ink for? "Ah, right. The ink is really something for traditional purposes, it's not for show or tell like a tattoo. Those are actually visible on the skin; bonding ink is ingrained within. Really, what I'm saying is, it's more of a rite of passage. Not everyone had to get the ink, you understand, but most folks did." Interestingly, his parents had undergone the ceremony but few had ever known about that.

However, while Zurg was rather passive in telling Jo of all this, there was one thing he would not budge. At Jo's mentioning of finding another after a partner's death, the alien shook his head adamantly. "Perhaps I wasn't clear." He spoke. "A bond cannot be replicated for any means. While that does sound strange and perhaps silly, to understand our society you must understand how we share are relationships -- and not just with partners. We have a bond with our partner, our family, our community, our government, our world, and the universe. There are six major bonds and three minor bonds; we treat each one with the utmost respect and diligence. Anyone who carelessly violates one is shamed upon." Just recalling is people's harsh ways got a chuckle out of him. "We're kind of... a little extreme, but that's how we were. The system worked for the most part, even if it wasn't malleable like a human society." In essence, if one's bonded died, while sad, the living partner was expected to live out the rest of their days faithful til the end -- just as the practice was intended. Hopefully Jo could now see why bonds were perhaps the strongest social contract, second only to one's loyalty to the government.

"And it's not like, say, your bonded dies while you're in your... 300s -- which is very sad -- and you have to live out the rest of your 500-something years alone." Zurg went on. "Typically and as the research had found, a bonded who outlives their partner will follow suit in about... oh, a century. Maybe a century and a half. Dying from a broken heart and longing does take a taxing toll, and few desire to live onward after that. We do not speak of those mourning the loss of their bonded lest we... hasten the process of the inevitable."

Complicated? Only a lot. Which brought Zurg back down to his original question that he had thought of before. "I know you're interested in knowing more about me -- craters, you and your blasted robot -- but... why this particular subject? I always thought you would be more interesting in knowing our vastly discriminatory practices against the Tiers. Oh, you would have a fit. Counting to nine has never been so tough."

((Which I am about to break right now. Good night, Jo!))

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:21 am

Jo made a face and gave his shoulder a jab with one of her fingers. “I’m not religious, remember? And besides, the term ‘choir boy’ is used for blushing innocents. I’m not above corrupting a minor, if you look at it that way.” Oho, and the mechanic bet that the look on his face upon hearing that would be priceless. Cue the grin and the innocent bat of her eyelashes. She meant nothing by it, nope.

“Yeah, but if the rates just plummeted like you said, how is that natural? And if it’s only one child to two people that’ll eventually strain a species even if it’s long-lived, won’t it?” It still sounded dubious to Jo, even though it made sense for them to have no need to worry about it if they weren’t preyed upon. Now humans, yeah, they bred like rabbits and had their cycles all year around. And it wasn’t like Jo was purposefully trying to find arguments to oppose Zurg; it just felt like there was something wrong with the overall picture. “It kind of feels like nature played a huge prank on your people, no offense.” Like low birth rates being the price for longevity.

She sighed and stretched for a moment like a cat, hearing her bones crack in satisfaction before settling back against Zurg. Then, she took his hand, comparing her fingers with his. Zurg’s fingers were longer and thicker, and much softer and cleaner than hers. “I think it’s the thought that counts. Kind of like you and your totems, don’t you think?” And the mechanic sure wouldn’t know if someone was taken just by looking at them, but maybe that was the difference between a closely-knot community and a place like Tradeworld where practically everyone was a stranger. Were Zurg’s people close to each other? That would be another reason why Zurg’s separation with them was hard on him.

But the ink part of the discussion sounded mighty interesting to the girl. It wasn’t visible? And it was some sort of rite of passage? Did that mean that Zurg would want to do it if it ever came down to it? Would it even work on someone who wasn’t of Zurg’s species?

Jo felt a little ashamed at having to be corrected, even if she was just bringing up an example of how humans she knew went about the loss of their loved ones. But through it, she was learning even more about his people and their customs. So, they had six “bonds” that they were expected to see through and never sever; one each to their lover, family, community, government, world and universe. Well, that sounded downright cheery. Zurg had pretty much broken them all! The confession on a lack of identity they had discussed a couple of weeks ago felt even starker in light of this information.

But at least Zurg seemed oblivious at the moment, still discussing the bond with a loved one. Jo nodded at each new bit of information, lacing her fingers through Zurg’s. “Some humans are like that too,” she said quietly, thinking back on an similar example with a classmate of hers. “One kid at school lost their father in a shooting — he was in the wrong place at the wrong time — and their mother died a few days afterwards from grief. Just a few days!” She shook her head, sinking in Zurg’s lap. “He took it pretty hard and kind of got mixed up with the wrong crowd after that, but that’s another story. Some people just can’t continue living whn they lose their partners. Others, they either try to move on or ruin their lives. I also had an alcoholic living next door to me who lost his girlfriend in an accident who was determined to drink himself to death. It took him a while, but his liver finally gave out.” This was turning into a rather depressing topic. The mechanic cleared her throat. “For us humans it just depends. For your kind, it’s inevitable, it seems.”

And oh cosmos, he’d finally caught on to her. It took him long enough, but Jo had been hoping to avoid having to explain. She felt her cheeks go red again, but desperately grasped on to his other topic changer. “Oh, tell me about those practices! I don’t know anything about the Tier!” But she knew that Zurg wouldn’t let her change the subject anyway. And, well, where was the harm in telling him?

“Well,” she began, threading her fingers through his for the umpteenth time again. “I was wondering for, you know, uh... um... us.” Her voice had gone so quiet, you’d only be able to hear her if your hearing was impeccable. But then her voice rose as she hastened to explain herself. “I-I mean, it’s not like anything has to happen soon or has to happen or even will, uh, ever happen, but I was like, uh, you know, just wondering so we could plan ahead or — no, I mean so we could figure out — gah, no, I mean — blast it! I’m not good at explaining things, am I?” she ended meekly, laughing at herself. Oh, craters, that had probably sounded terrible, like a fruit basket case, only worse.

How embarrassing...

(( Posted this right before work because it was full of sleepy typos to post last night! See you later~ ))
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Corrupting a minor? That... was lower than Zurg was ever willing to go if he comprehended exactly what she meant. Jo, you lecher! She was breaking over eighteen galactic laws, and that was pretty hardcore. The first being, It is illegal to associate with the forces of evil (read: Evil Emperor Zurg). Those politicians and their silly laws.

"Oh, of course we were strained. But again, there are different ways of looking at this, Jo. Purebred children were harder to conceive than mixed children. If my people had wanted to promote a positive growth then they would have mixed the races, but because they were grossly proud of their roots they refused. Salvation, if you will, was always within our grasp. We just chose not to reach for it." The Devil was in the details, and Zurg knew that exceptionally well. He otherwise wasn't bothered that Jo was asking her questions, though, and he answered most as faithfully as he could. Anyone else, and he would have told them to mind their own business before he ionized them into sub-atomic particles. Don't think he wouldn't if he had a foul mood that day.

No one was a better stretching chair than Zurg, and the alien didn't seem disturbed about Jo's bones popping against his torso. So long as it wasn't her neck, of course. That always unnerved him. He spotted her comparing and contrasting their hands, which was like placing night and day side-by-side to analyze. Her fingers were just so short and delicate! Not to mention dirtier, but that can be overlooked. Why, he could just clench his fingers around the entirety of her hand and snap it off -- he wasn't going to do that. But he did close his fingers around hers gently and held her hand. Talk about hands that could grip the surface area of your face. "Ahhhh, the totems... Those were a xul thing, to be honest. The others didn't participate in what they considered backwards and childish mannerisms. They were apparently too good for creating tokens of affection or experience." Maybe Jo didn't quite understand, but when someone was taken it was expected that everyone knew because bonding was such a great, big deal for the community. It wasn't common like marriage, or as common in a more correct sense. In about the course of a century, in a community of say fifty, about 10% was predicted to bond during the course of a hundred years. That meant around six people in total. See how rare it was?

"I don't know how else to explain it. When you're ready to bond, you bond. There's no practical approach to the process, and to rationalize it into sterilized thinking algorithms won't get you anywhere. It just... happens." Not the best account, but it was his account and as a minor to his people it was typical. Was it a chemical in the brain? The use of pheromones? Time of the seasons? What? It had never been proven, and it would never be. Maybe it was in the water? Who knows.

Zurg nodded as Jo gave a brief recount of some examples, and they sounded about on the same path. "That is most unfortunate when your bond is severed through external means. You cannot do anything about it except to move on, and even that is a feat in of itself. Most would not harm others or take it out upon their remained attachments, but a select few found it suitable to make the lives of others miserable. These individuals who bring about harm to their world are what is commonly feared about a soured bond. I hate to admit it, but not all of them work. For whatever reason, some just do not." Imagine living your life with someone incompatible and stuck until the last breath is drawn out of you. Sounds like you and the taxman, right? No escape. "Of course, not everyone was like that. Some lived for a very long time and did great things without their bonded at their side, and some... committed acts of great evil, like me. It just depends on the person. There is no determination for these sorts of things."

And nah-uh. That subject change wasn't working on him this time. This time, he was going to be like Drakken and be an absolute bur in Jo's side. Fortunately for Zurg, he hearing was impeccable. Unfortunately for Jo, his hearing was impeccable. Talks about them? Oho. The alien could only chuckle at Jo's floundering and he rested the palm of his hand upon her forehead, urging her to be still and calm. "Slow down, slow down. You're letting your anxiety take the best of you." When she had settled down, he removed his hand from her forehead and instead wrapped it around her waist again. "My advice is that you let it take its natural course, Jo. Could be tomorrow, could be in another year. Until then, we should just enjoy what we have together. There's no sense in stressing over something that is otherwise harmless." Now, was that to say that Zurg wasn't nervous? Yeah, he was pretty... nervous. Unlike Jo, however, he was a rather good faker and an even better diplomat when he wanted to be.

Guess he had to keep his breathing steady and just stare out at the lake. Oh, it would be getting dark soon. The sun was already painting the sky with oranges and reds, dusk about to be upon them. Perhaps they should head for the village before all of the light is extinguished? The moon won't be up for another few hours.

((And I posted this as soon as I woke up, because... I'm a bear.))

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Don't be surprised by her innocent look and demeanor. This mechanic has done her fair share of breaking the law -- not like that of course, but just enough to give pause for. Jo was True Neutral for a reason; she wasn't very lawful and she wasn't that chaotic, either. She'd had to do a few things she hadn't really liked in order to survive. But besides, most of those laws didn't exist any more in Portal Breach, so you couldn't say that Jo had broken them or was breaking them, now could you? She would fraternize with evil all she wanted to. But don't ever ask her to dress like a villain. That was where the mechanic would put her foot down.

"Ohhhh." Now that made better sense. Not like what Zurg had said before hadn't, but now Jo understood that the solution had been within their grasp, but his people just hadn't desired to take it. What was it with some people being so stubborn? It was like a plague sometimes, something that infected their thoughts and took advantage of their actions. And if only it was reserved to one species, but no; it was a failing a lot of individuals had. But Jo didn't want to think about that now, not when she and Zurg spent so little time together in such closeness. And speaking of closeness, Zurg wrapped his hand around hers while she was examining their fingers, and the mechanic realized just how large his hand really was compared to hers. About twice her hand could fit in his, and that was when comparing their height!

But upon hearing that the nuls and suls shunned the token tradition, Jo's brow furrowed. "It's not childish or backwards to gift someone you care about with something to show your affection!"And no, she probably didn't, but in a tightly-knit community it made a lot of sense. But the talk about bonding again got her to settle down. "Kind of like falling in love, huh?" she reasoned thoughtfully. "It just... happens sometimes."

However, the girl couldn't help but offer a wry grin to Zurg. She elbowed him gently, then said, "Sour, eh? Sounds a lot like you. And let's not get started on the evil acts. Those you do plenty of." Oh, Zurg. Jo liked hearing more about your culture and getting to understand you and your elusive ways better, but must you always undermine yourself like this? "But why enter a sour bond in the first place? I mean, if you guys are so big on bonding and being happy with your lovers, and court them for decades on end, the chances of entering a sour bonding must be pretty minimal."

She pretty much did still at his hand upon her forehead. She found the gesture a little odd, but comforting. She remembered he'd placed his hand on her forehead similarly when she had been telling him about Atomos Quantum for the first time, and she had felt deeply touched by it. She settled back down in his arms, sighing as she placed her hands upon his. She felt so safe right now. So safe and content and perfect. "I'm not anxious," she defended. "Just a little nervous at the idea..." But he didn't shun it. So... that was a good thing. They would let things run their natural course. Of course there was no need to get into anything too fast. She nodded, twisting around in his arms to kiss his cheek in thanks. "We've got all the time in the world," she agreed, resting her cheek against his chest.

She noticed the sun slowly starting to set, but wanted to stay a little while longer. It might be dangerous to wait for the sun to set before going to Lochlann, but come to think of it, had Zurg and her ever experienced a sunset? She couldn't recall. She curled her toes in the blanket to get her feet a little warmer. "Do you want to head for Lochlann when the sun's nearly set?" she asked.

(( You're lucky you're getting even this! Work's a little packed today! See you later~ ))
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:04 am

Oh, Zurg wasn't surprised at all. If anything, he was surprised at how easy Jo broke the law. What a vile, vile temptress she was. And no, it wasn't technically against the law to hang out with the forces of evil, but you never know... Zurg was going to get Jo to wear a dashing dress and she was going to like it! Just... nothing like his colour scheme. That was his colour scheme, so copyright will be forced! He vaguely wondered how the mechanic would take to sipping a little distilled evil. She would probably wrench a few bolts off, if you got my drift. On second thought, no. No distilled evil for Jo.

Women and distilled evil just do not mix.

Jo's huffing got a slight chuckle out of him, and the alien was otherwise very passive. "You must understand, Jo. Xuls were backwards, even I will admit. But, the principle is the same. The races just had different ways of expressing their feelings, that's all." And apparently the mechanic had to nudge him about being evil, which finally prompted a snort from him. "And me being sour has kept me alive all this time. Can't be naive and expect the universe to be kind just because you are." It was the honest truth! Being nice only allowed people to walk over you and get ahead in life. Zurg wasn't about to be used and abused, thank you. He was going to do that to you, instead. He was a tad cynical and fatalistic like that. And yes, that sadly undermined him wherever he went. That wily Zurg.

The mentioning of how come sour bonds happened got him to think once again, and this time... the alien actually had to consider the possible variables. "Well, how should I put this..." He began, shifting his back against the tree. "Despite all the time it takes to see if you are suitable for one another, I suppose it's very similar to why human marriages also fail. Just because you spend time with your hopeful partner and think it will match doesn't mean that it necessarily will 100% of the time. There is still a slim risk of it failing. But even though it is a shot in the dark, the fear is quite strong. Failure means a lifelong existence of misery, and the shame that follows is even worse than the actual relationship." Which also meant that Zurg had the same fear as well. What if a bond didn't work? What if something happened? It got him thinking about the future, if there was one, and somehow... his eyes fell to the back of Jo's head. Unease tickled in the back of his mind, the alien coming up with worst case scenarios, and his nervousness slightly showed at last.

It came in the form of silence, which was a very hard habit to break. What if... being with Jo didn't work? Unlike him, Jo could leave and find another path in life. Him? He'd be... stuck and left to wander aimlessly. It was just like how his people left him, wasn't it? Wasn't it... One didn't have to be a psychiatrist to realize that Zurg had abandonment issues. Whether it was conscious or subconscious, he did.

A kiss to the cheek was all it took to snap him out of it, thankfully, and the alien blinked away the mental fog. "Eh? Oh... Right, nervous. Right..." That made two of them. That made two of them...

His anxiety (it was funny since he had told Jo that she was anxious) was setting with the sun, and while he didn't think to pack up just yet, Jo put him on the right thought. Things came out during the night, and he'd rather not have to carry Jo like a cub upon his back because she couldn't see very well in the dark. And put the packs on top of that, too. But he just felt so comfortable...! Jo on his chest, arms around her waist, the sunlight actually not burning his eyes and the air cool enough to the point he wasn't melting; why should he leave? Oh, right. Because bears and wild animals would find Jo a tasty snack. Can't have that!

"As soon as the sun touches the mountains we should get packing." Sounded like a feasible plan. "The walk back will take some time and we have to take that into account for time. The sooner we reach civilization the better. Don't want you getting snatched up by mountain lions~!" And... whatever else this planet had hidden up its sleeves.

Hey, it was Portal Breach! You never knew!

((Bye, Jo! *several hours later*))

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:19 am

A very vile, vile temptress. But only when she wanted to be. And she'd tried distilled evil once but by chance on that outing with Morgana and Calamity. Neither the outing nor the distilled evil were experiences she wanted to repeat. She couldn't even remember how she'd acted when on distilled evil. And that was probably a good thing.

"Yeah, but a little effort goes a long way. If you make an effort to be nice sometimes, good things can come out of it. Like you and me, for example," she offered with a small chuckle and another gentle prod to the chest. "Didn't we start getting along much better when you were nicer to me? Even though you don't really do nice... But I keep telling you, you look great when you smile! Being a sour puss all the time pulls a big number on your disposition," she added, watching the sky turn orange and purple and red and various shades and hues along those colors. For a moment, the mechanic didn't want to leave this spot. Couldn't they stay here a little longer?

And ah, yes. That made sense. Jo nodded in understanding and decided to repeat a bit of advice she'd heard once. "A lot of people find out after living together that they might be incompatible. I think moving in together can help a relationship. If you can put up with the other person's habits at home, you're set." And didn't Zurg already put up with her messy, lazy lifestyle at home? Yeah, they were set. Unless... all that really did bug him, and that's why he cleaned it. Well, he'd say so if it really bothered him, wouldn't he? He never seemed furious or serious whenever he told her she ought to clean up...

She noticed that Zurg had gone quiet and squeezed his hand in reassurance. Sometimes, love wasn't enough, was it? But you could still overcome the obstacles. They could overcome them. They would overcome them. Somehow... although Jo had to admit that sometimes even those small steps were hard. She would support Zurg for as long as she could, but she wouldn't lie. Sometimes it was taxing. And other times, she just felt downright confused at how he acted. "Are you nervous or anxious?" she asked, crossing her legs. Her feet were getting cold, but a topic change might help. Why was she still asking him about this?

"I don't think I want to catch any mountain lions, but I don't want to get up just yet!" She stretched again lazily. "Cosmos, how did the day pass by so quickly? Maybe we napped longer than we thought..." Did they still have time to go down to Lochlann and see how the small town was like? Jo remembered Zeb saying he wanted to live there, but in the end he'd decided to try his luck in another Gamma. That was... depressing, in a way.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:10 pm

Not remembering how she acted when on distilled evil? That sounded a lot like Zurg when it came to accidentally inhaling neon gas. Funny thing, neon gas...

Being nice... sounded like a disease to Zurg, and he tried not to make a face at Jo's prodding. "And what incentive is there for me being nice?" He asked. "You don't get high levels of respect if you're nice; people tend to walk all over you if you're nice; and evil doesn't do well if you're nice. I'd rather be mean and nasty, getting what I want done, than be nice and be seen as the community hovercycle." No one was riding him to advance their own goals if he could help it. Besides, what did being nice ever do for him besides establish working relationships with people? People, might he had, that made his life complicated and otherwise provided very intrusive distractions. Acquaintances, friends, a community, and Jo -- each one added their own chaotic element into his life of carefully-constructed order and if he wasn't careful... it could all come crashing down.

Ah, and here was the paranoid that manifested itself deep within the Evil Emperor's personality. One must always remain hyper-vigilant against life and its conniving ways to ruin all of your hard work. It came from dealing with the criminal element of the galaxy's seedy underbelly. A very hard habit to break, you understand. Zurg made a slight disgruntled noise at being told that his smiles, of all things, were great on him.

"We don't smile." He explained to her flatly. "It's a learned trait from watching other species communicate. Emotions are discerned from tone of voice, not facial features." And that was because many of his kind had chosen to cover their faces depending on their province. This would also explain why Zurg looked awfully silly when he tried to smile, and he absolutely did not consider them great. Why Jo liked them was beyond his current comprehension, but so long as she liked them... Eh, he'd smile just for her, then. Note: a mischievous grin or smirk was not a genuine smile, coming from him. Those were much more common and much more... evil.

And, oh! Moving in!? The brief mental image of cleaning up all the time got Zurg's eyes to stare off into the distance as if he had encountered an eldtritch abomination from some chaotic plane of existence. You know, something covered in slimy tentacles and many eyes that spoke in tickling whispers to make you insane. Cleaning all the time had the same effect on him. Not that he wouldn't mind cleaning up after Jo and helping her around, but she had to learn and apply what she learned so that he could be allowed some rest. If he had to change a few principles of himself, then so did she. Learning how to fold clothes, put them away, and vacuum shouldn't be too hard for the mechanic if Zurg could forgo some torture practices and keep his scheming reserved to only three days out of the week. It would make him happier, at least.

Remember, he was not the community hovercycle, Jo!

"Yes, but if you look carefully, Jo, you can't put up with habits all the time." He had done some reading on why human marriages failed, and both sides (or even one side) not offering to better themselves and keeping it that way was a common factor. "Like a soap opera, the same thing repeated over and over gets old very fast. Patience, unlike the universe, is not infinite." And that went doubly true for him. If you want proof, you should see some of Zurg's welfare practices that he had employed at the time of his rule. Let's just say that he wasn't all for holding your hand if you could help better yourself but simply chose not to. Always a proponent of generous, but firm, love. Not all habits were made equal, the same went for people's coping mechanisms.

Are you nervous or anxious?

Now there was a million unibuck question, and Zurg was caught red-handed. If he could be red-faced then he would be that, too. Well, it wouldn't do to stutter and appear like a little choir boy, would it? "Yes, I... suppose you could say that." Considering there were a lot of factors to worry over, most on Zurg's end, he thought about a lot of scenarios and problematic issues. For one, who could count out Zurg's lack of mood control? Well, to be honest, it wasn't that he couldn't control himself -- it was more that he didn't bother to. He had gotten so used to the Evil Emperor mentality that, alas, his moods suited him just fine and got him what he wanted to achieve. Sadly, the logic there was proving to be a slight hindrance thanks to Portal Breach, but Zurg was trying his hardest in adapting. And two, c'mon. Zurg was evil and Jo... well, Jo was just Jo. Who was surprised here? He liked to torture, control, dominate, and humiliate others while she... didn't. Kind of made pastime hobby discussions hard, you know?

"I guess... I just think too much and force myself to see things from multiple angles." The paranoid, remember? He must always be in control of his surroundings and be on top of any dangers or threats. It kept him alive, after all, and living, you must agree, was the most important desire of everything.

Of course, right now his survival instincts were telling him to get up, and get up he did. Zurg rolled Jo over like a log and he stood up, prodding her with a foot before packing their things neatly. "Come on, Jo. Up, up. Can't expect to survive out here in the wilderness if you're napping where the bears, cougars, and generally anything with teeth and claws can get you." Can't expect him to be on high alert and protect them both just in case if his mind was distracted, as well. And, as we all can agree, Jo was very distracting for him. While he was making sure that no garbage or traces of contamination were around he also sensed that Jo still wanted to do some sightseeing. The lake town, right? "If you hurry up and help me, you'll have more time to see Lochlann with the last of daylight before night falls. More time for you to better appreciate the world around, no?" How was that for incentive?

But they better make haste, as whenever the sun set and the light began to dim, Zurg's eyes started to get that reflective sheen like a common house cat would. And that was quite spooky...

((Blarrrgh, school. Anyway, it's up to you, Jo, if you'd like to cut it off here or have them RP going into town. LINK, YOU ARE NOT COMING.))

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:55 am

Maybe the distilled evil had made her really angry and really emotional. The mechanic truly didn't remember clearly; all she remembered was that she'd been hating every second of that forced outing with both Morgana and her daughter. Thank the cosmos Zurg had come to the rescue!

And there he went again. He'd probably say he was being painfully realistic, but Jo had another word for that -- stubborn. But it was his opinion, and she would respect that, even though she would put in her last two unibucks. "Well, you don't have to be sickeningly sweet and nice all the time, but showing some understanding can go a long way. And trust me, no one wants to be the community hovercycle!" she added, laughing.

"Like you've said countless times before. But I still think they make you look rather dashing~" She even pinched one of his cheeks for good measure, giving him a quick peck on the nose. She kind of liked his smirks too, but no, for the mechanic, it was the genuine smiles that he rarely displayed that she liked the most.

And the prospect of him cleaning after her all the time, although ideal in theory, was not something Jo wanted to subject Zurg to. She figured he found that bad habit of hers as annoying as she found some of his bad habits, like eating just about anything, be it a keychain or a bug. Like, gross! At least she wasn't kissing his mouth any time soon. No, the mechanic could easily fold and vacuum... if she had nothing better to do. But she was trying! That ought to count for some brownie points.

Can't put up with habits all the time, eh? That was a sad truth. Some people could learn to live with them and accept them as part of the other person, but others let the little things that annoyed them just pile up and up until there would be a final straw. That wasn't healthy; there needed to be communication and a willingness to cane in between a couple in order for a relationship to work out. No relationship could thrive on give, give give or take, take, take.

Ah, yes. As nervous as the mechanic was, Zurg was undoubtedly double or triple that. He had the tendency to examine an issue from every single angle. Jo didn't do that; although she would think long and hard about something that needed her attention and try to come up with multiple scenarios on it, she would fail to think of every possibility. Something or other would always elude her grasp. But it usually never reached that point. Usually.

She laid a hand on his arm, letting her fingertips caress him affectionately. "My suggestion? To stop thinking about an issue and attacking it from all angles. Just... appreciate what you have. Thinking too much on things can drive you crazy." And that stood true for them all.

Zurg rolled over her as he got up, and she laughed and pushed him away playfully. "Craters, Big Z, you're heavy! Get your fat butt off of me already!"

But she quickly began to help him gather their things. She wanted to see a bit of Lochlann before they had to go, and as distracting as Jo was to Zurg, Zurg was as distracting to her. Why, even now, as he was stooping over something, she had the sudden urge to pinch him, just to see his reaction. But she pushed that thought aside and simply settled for admiring his rear before looping her bag over her shoulders.

"Ready!" she announced, even saluting with a grin. "Private Pistonne, reporting for duty!"

Oh, the fun he could pull with that now...

(( I'd like for us to RP them going into town a bit, if you don't mind! It would give us a chance to see Lochlann! ))
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Of course he was stubborn! It was his way or the spaceway! Well, normally. Jo knew how to put the boot to his bruuka, and he typically yielded.

Typically.

"Nothing good comes from being understanding either, when you can just wipe them out with a good batch of devolution gas." Too much effort, too much time! Being evil was much more profitable and not to mention fun, too. Besides, can you see Zurg actually asking people things out of nicety? Yeah, didn't think so. When he wanted to be nice, then he will be nice. Otherwise, fat chance and don't press your luck. Then Jo had to go and pinch his cheek, wiggling it like an elderly lady would dotingly do to a little boy. "Nnnngh..." Which... was like sticking your finger near a horse's mouth. Careful, Jo, or Zurg may think your little digit was a tasty carrot and simply bite it off.

Yes, please! Don't force him to slave around and clean! Even his royal OCD would fade out in time. Plus, it wasn't like he stuck things in his mouth often. Well, okay. There was the simple fact that he smelled a lot of things through inhalation or ingestion, but he would admit (albeit stubbornly) that he had a peculiar habit of ingesting strange things. Ship keys, license plates, plastics, rocks, flowers, insects, and sometimes... KY jelly. Hey, that last one he was innocent on, alright? He thought it was a new kind of jelly that tingled the throat, not... you know. Zurg was special like that. And yes, it counted for brownie points but Zurg can't eat brownies so what then? He'll just give them to Lawrence.

Fine. Her touch was soothing, but not by much. Oh, forget it. She got him to settle down, but he was still thinking at all angles. It's what he did! Can't expect to live long in the evil profession if you didn't have great insight. And that went double for reality outside of the evil profession. "While you can afford to take things as they are, I have to consider every and all facts." Zurg huffed, as if he had a great responsibility. Considering Jo is a potential target to get to him, and that enemies could harm Lawrence and Red's children... yes, he did tend to worry about the extremes. They happen, you know. Zurg would rather prevent harm before it happened, and so would any other rational being. "If I don't make sure everything is safe and accounted for, then who will?" He had already failed before, and he could never live through another shortcoming if anything happened. He just... couldn't.

But he wisely kept that thought to himself and instead let Jo do her... thing. Whatever it was. Hey, he wasn't fat! He watched his girlish figure and did stretches every morning! And she better not pinch him unless she wanted an unpleasant surprise to the face. Eggs this morning, you are warned.

"Private Pistonne?" That was a new one. He glanced at her with a humoured narrowing of his eyes, her and her salute. "Yes, well, Private Pistonne better stop oogling the General of All Things, otherwise she's going to get a court-martial." Meaning, thrown into the lake. "Oh, and for calling him fat. You do not do this."

Naturally he wasn't really going to toss her conniving hide into the water, not at this hour, but she better not press it. He'll stick her up in a tree like a mother bear and then leave her there, laughing and poking fun. Yeah, that'd be hilarious come to think of it. He may or may not have let out a little grin at the mental image, and once he was ready with pack on his back, it was time to go. With a hand holding hers, he led the way and kept his pace steady so she didn't have to pace beside him. Jo had such short legs for a woman. Such short, short crab legs. "We'll reach the town before the sun fully sets." Zurg told her, avoiding patches of wet sand so their feet wouldn't get damp again. Ugh, sand in the toes. Do not want. "Once we're there, though, what are we going to do? Dinner? I don't know what they serve here, and I'm not a big tourist..." That's one thing he didn't do: tourism. Why should he when he had planned on conquering the entire galaxy and turning it into one big resource for him?

Maybe Jo had some fun ideas, and he could tag along.

((Yay, school draining...))

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:59 am