65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: By the Lake

Post by Zurg on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:30 am

Meanwhile, back in Saneville...

By the time Jo handled the situation (and with tact, no less), Zurg had already came back inside, his face rather... stoic. He flashed his eyes once at the clerks, letting them glow for a second, and he returned his narrowed gaze back to the mechanic. "They smell worse than you, you know that?" Flattering. Upon further inspection of her companion, Jo would be able to see that the alien had what appeared to be... wood shavings sprinkled around his poncho? What had he been doing, exactly? She would have to ask later. Now, Zurg was just ready to get the night over with and try to remain calm.

He noticed that Jo had the keys, which was hopefully a blessing. "Alright, let's go. I can only take masochism so much in one day." Flattering and honest. And off they went, Jo leading the way. But, of course, not before Zurg paused and issued one last hiss at the two youngsters. "If I was your father, I'd smack the HUMAN out of you!" And he growled that in his best deep, gurgling tone of voice possible. If only he could bare his teeth.

Thank the Cosmos it didn't take much time to find the room, Zurg still mumbling, and upon entering it at last... the first thing he did, naturally, was sniff. Was that... "Hm, smells rather nice. Floral. I bet that's to mask the pheromones from this room's last batch." Inside it was just as cozy and warm as the front desk, perhaps even more so. Soft carpet, soothing beige walls, low ceiling, and of course the bed Jo wanted. As for the couch? Zurg looked around, almost in mild despair. "There's no couch." He closed the door and spun around in a circle, still baffled and repeating. "There's no couch." At least there were pretty pictures of idealistic landscapes along with hand-carved wooden features. It was a really nice room, but -- "There's no couch!" Yes, Zurg was unhappy.

Oh, well. He grumbled again and rested his things upon the floor, finding a corner to his liking. From there, he took out the blanket they had used earlier in the day and he spread it out. This will be his mat. As for pillows and covers? He removed his poncho overhead and furled it up into a sloppy roll, placing it down at one end of the blanket. There, a pillow. Blanket? Working on it. He next took out all the towels from the swim.

When Zurg was stubborn, he was stubborn. At least he was resourceful, though. The man knew how to adapt fairly quickly to his environment.

So, with makeshift mat, pillow, and blanket on hand, he lied down and faced away from the rest of the room. Actually, he was facing the wall. This was going to develop sharp cricks in his back, he knew it. Argh! "Well... I guess it could be worse." Zurg admitted, not bothering to turn around while speaking. "There could be cockroaches and used... things lying around." With another sigh his body deflated and the alien tried to close his eyes and shut off the noise lingering in his mind. "Don't worry about the other half, Jo. I'll pay it tomorrow."

What a day, what a day, what a day...

((Okay, this doesn't have to be the last post, but it is for me. Bedtime. Night, Jo!))

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:45 pm

"I'll take that as a compliment," she decided, although she had to wonder if he'd still find the smell annoying if it ever came down to them doing anything. But she frowned when she saw him up close. "Are those... wood shavings? How'd you get that on your clothes?" Did he run into the bushes or something? But why wood shavings and not leaves? Pretty weird.

Oh craters, he just had to hiss at them, didn't he? Jo quickly pushed Zurg forwards, apologizing with, "He's just not used to, uh... people!" hoping they didn't try to poison his breakfast tomorrow. Good thing he didn't set anything on fire!

Soon, they were out of sight, climbing the stairs, and found their room somewhere on the second floor, towards the end of the inn. Good, at least it was far, far away from the front desk and the two lovebirds.

Their room was small, but it smelled nice. There was a closet, a queen-sized bed, and a bathroom complete with a shower and bathtub. There was even a small desk in one corner with a light, and a television set hanging in the top corner above the desk. And yes, as Zurg had repeated several times, there was no couch. But that bed looked so inviting... Jo dropped her bag and jacket on the floor and flopped face-first on the bed, sighing as she felt her weary bones sink into the soft mattress and comforter. She rolled over on to her back, the bed creaking beneath her, and sighed again. Yes, this was perfect for her aching lower back. Absolutely perfect.

Not really wanting to get up, the mechanic forced herself to sit up just in time to see Zurg adding the last finishing touches to a makeshift bed he made out of their towels and the old quilt they had used at the lake. He even used his poncho for a pillow. Cosmos, he was unbelievably stubborn! There were spare pillows and blankets he could use in the closet. Jo didn't know for sure, but that was usually how inns ran.

"Big Z, I'm not worried about the other half." She slid off of the soft bed and crawled over to him, sitting down beside him with her back to his back, stretching her legs out before her. "I'm worried about you. Sure you don't sleep much, but are you sure you want to sleep on the floor? It's not right if I sleep in the bed and you're left on the floor..."

(( Yeah, I totally crashed too. But here's your post~! ))
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Yes, those were indeed wood shavings. Jo wouldn't tell right away, but come the morning and when the sun rose up? Dozens of folks would find that their mailboxes had been trashed and utterly scattered into pieces upon the road, their confidential material littered for all to see. Oh, how impish and mean-spirited! "Hehehe..." Was how Zurg summed it up. Nope, Zurg was definitely not a people person.

And he liked it that way.

Jo didn't like it that he slept on the floor though, which he had predicted. It was only one night! He could survive for one night. "I've been sleeping on the floor longer than you've been alive." And probably way longer than that. That Jo. Why couldn't she just enjoy her damn bed and go to sleep? Instead, she was pestering him and subtly pleading that he rethink his decision. Well, his decision still stood. Jo could sleep on the bed because of her back, and he could sleep on the floor because he honestly didn't mind. His people didn't use beds, remember? Zurg just crossed his arms, eyes still closed.

"Jo, we've already discussed this. The bed is for you." And it wasn't that he was spiteful or anything, but he did say he wasn't going to bend this one rule. It was bad enough he had bent so many already. In a way, that subconsciously made him uneasy. He reached over with a hand and softly patted the mechanic. "Go to bed, Jo. I'll be fine. Just try to get some rest as we've got a long walk ahead of us tomorrow morning."

Please, Jo, just go back to bed? He really wasn't bothered sleeping on the floor, and he was starting to lull off already.

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:20 pm

Oh, how deliciously evil. It was a terrible thing to do... but even Jo had to admit that it was a hilarious idea! Just wait until tomorrow to see her reaction. She'd wonder how all the mailboxes had been destroyed, see Zurg smug, and put two and two together, ohohoho.

Well, he did have a point there. Didn't his people used to sleep on mats all the time? Jo huffed, her bangs fluttering. He really was an old fart, wasn't he? Older than her grandfather's grandfather's grandfather. And that was pretty darn old. But it seemed like he wasn't going to budge on this one. Jo could recognize that tone in his voice. It wasn't just stubbornness, it was being as immovable as a mountain. She still felt bad about it, but he patted her arm reassuringly, and it did put her at ease her.

"Okay, okay, but let me get you some proper blankets and a pillow at least." She got up and went over to the closet, and sure enough there were more blankets there, but no pillows. Jo grabbed one of them, wrapping it around in her arms, went over to her bed to grab one of the pillows, then moseyed over to Zurg. "Here you go, so you're not that uncomfortable." She helped him set everything up, and once he was as snug as a bug in a rug, she leaned over to give him a kiss. The way he was lying on one side, though, the kiss came out slanted on his cheek. "Goodnight, Big Z. Sleep well."

She got up and went to the bathroom, debating on whether she should take a shower now or when she woke up. She decided in the end to do it tomorrow so she could sleep easier, and changed into a t-shirt and sweats. Emerging from the bathroom, she went over to the bed, huddled underneath the covers, then bid Zurg one last goodnight before switching the light off.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Hey, he was sensitive about his age. In his years, he was a young man! But yes, when Zurg put his hard head to something he really became an unmovable object. Oh, if only Jo wielded the unstoppable force. Cultural taboos, Jo, cultural taboos. He couldn't follow everything about his people so allow him to cling at whatever was left. It was all he really had anymore.

But any resistance he had to Jo's different view stopped right at the point of helping him sleep better. He thanked her for the blanket, although he would only get hot later in the night. It was the thought that counted, and he was able to cover everything but his bare feet. Good, he liked his feet uncovered and able to feel the coolness in the air. The pillow was a very nice touch, but it muffled half of his hearing completely. Pillows just weren't designed for horns, you know. "Thank you, Jo. Good night." Aw, she gave him a kiss. Now he wanted a bedtime story. He had a little smile and squeezed her hands once before letting Jo go off to do her own thing.

Apparently she thought of taking a shower but decided against it, instead heading for bed and crashing. There was a slight creak, and all was still. Soon Jo's breathing patterns became more eased, relaxed -- the mechanic was now fast asleep, and Zurg? Well... He rolled back and forth, not really soothed enough to sleep, and he merely sat up quietly before wandering around the room. Why he did this was anyone's guess, but at last he took up a chair and moved it over towards the window, setting it down as gently as he could.

And then, he sat. He sat and leaned forward, elbows upon his knees, as he simply watched the world go by... his mind wandering where his body could not.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:41 am