Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Level : ??

Blue Fairy

Post by Universal NPC on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Time: 18:00
    Date: August, day unknown

It was dark again, the sun having already set faster due to the changed times. The streets of this darkened world, this underworld, were littered with debris and fluttering papers; most which were unintelligible. Hardly any vandals or thugs were out tonight, as only the ill rats and sickly vermin claimed the shadows where looters once hid. Only the vermin.

Only the vermin...

Stomp, stomp, stomp, rrrrrrrgh.

In the midst of a dysfunctional intersection where burning drums provided the only light, a lone robot remained standing. It was painted black and yellow, its built and model rather strangely thin, and it didn't appear to be heavy-duty. With its featureless face it rotated its gaze left, then right, and it made no motion after that.

What was it doing all the way out in the middle of nowhere?

A low frequency pinged from the mysterious machine, and the signal pulsed softly through the silent, still air.
    [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 45

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Re: Blue Fairy

Post by [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:03 pm

A visitor? Oh, how lovely...

The careless signal had been picked up louder than any sound known to an organic, and like blood to a shark a very familiar predator altered its course and swooped through the air. It was none other than infamous energy vampire, NOS-4-A2, and the chuckling machine perched itself upon a nearby rooftop. What was making such a lovely broadcast... It scoured the area with its monocle and soon pinpointed the exact location. And in that location stood a very curious sort of robot. "A Hornet." Yes, there was no mistaking that awful paint job, but NOS-4-A2 was not concerned with chromatic scale. Instead, it narrowed its single eye and rubbed its pointed chin with a claw. Why would a Hornet be so careless as to -- "Aha!" It knew why, yes!

With a confident snap of its talons NOS-4-A2 immediately vacated its hiding spot and dove down, a blood-curdling shriek piercing the sky as it did so. Must always have a dramatic entrance, you know.

"What have we here, hm?" It called out with a malicious laugh, pulling its dive into a sharp stop, wings dazzling brilliantly through the unsettled dust and debris. "One of Daddy's precious little Hornets? Well, to what do I owe the honor. You're quite far from home, Simple One." It licked its lips out of habit and felt the tip of its tongue spark. "It would be a shame if anything happened to you."

Hornet or not, NOS-4-A2 knew better than to pass up a free snack.
    Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Post by Universal NPC on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:13 pm

Yes, it was none other than a Hornet. And a single Hornet, when most Hornet platforms operated in pairs or squads. Why was this particular unit, then, all by itself and seemingly acting of its own volition?

When the intended reaction had been achieved, the broadcast was instantly silenced. The objective had been lured out from hiding as expected, and as NOS-4-A2 made its presence known the Hornet showed a spark of life. Green, digitized panels glitched upon the Hornet's face and a makeshift pair of pixelated eyes winking from the virtual nether. "Nothing would happen if you were to harm this single Hornet." A calm voice crackled from the Hornet's rarely-used voice box. "This is but a remotely-controlled unit that has little consequence if it were destroyed. If you were to destroy it regardless of this information then I will send out another. They are equally expendable either way." A talking Hornet? Now you definitely don't see that everyday, but... something was wrong here. No Hornet ever allowed to remain online ever had such eloquent use of the Basic language; they were too dumb-downed for fear of growing sentience. Why did this one talk, then?

Only a second went by before the talking Hornet resumed its speech. "Am I to assume that you are the notorious NOS-4-A2 in the files I have read about?" The Hornet asked, its digitized eyes winking once again. "If you are, then I would like to talk with you."

This was starting to get interesting.
    [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:25 pm

...Oh?

Can't say that NOS-4-A2 had honestly expected a single syllable to ever form out of a Hornet's current programming, but then again the energy vampire was now quite certain that this was no mere Hornet. Now, a Hornet wanting to talk with the energy vampire... "I suspected this unit was under remote control when I detected its lone signature. Hornets don't often travel alone or far away from their directive parameters." Hm, this was slightly disconcerting. This was no regular Hornet model, and those eyes belonged to no Hornet ever created. Things became more alarming when NOS-4-A2 also recognized, if slightly, the unfamiliar energy signature emanating from the robot itself. No Hornet put out that much power into its processor instead of its basic weaponry. No, no. The energy vampire was talking to something else now.

And that something else was none other than an -- "Artificial intelligence." NOS-4-A2 said the words slowly and carefully, its single eye now narrowing into a tiny slit. Ah, yes. Now NOS-4-A2 knew what it was dealing with and now it also knew why. "I take it you received my message, then." The AI from the factory, it had to be. There was no other AI quite like it on this world. The unique signature had been felt during the first infiltration attempt.

"Yes, I am NOS-4-A2, the very same in the files you accessed." Zurg was a fool to let this thing run around wildly, and for that, the organic would pay. At the thought NOS-4-A2 kept its smile to itself, and it nodded hesitantly. "I am willing to talk. Please, introduce yourself."
    Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Post by Universal NPC on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Slight hesitation, brief lagging.

The Hornet, or more appropriately the AI, detected minute alterations in the machine ahead of it. It chose not to comment on them, however, and cataloged it for future use if necessary. "You know me as the AI overseeing On-World Factory Zeta. You once sent a wireless query when you detected me successfully blocking off all of your viral attempts onto the facility itself. I was pre-programmed to handle such malignant invasions." Facts were facts, and the energy vampire had better be apprehensive. This AI was no pushover. When asked to speak its name, the eyes winked but the question was not denied. "I was created by the Evil Emperor Zurg, our same creator, to take over the old laboratory of the now-deceased Carrie Akyla. During that raid my full name remained as Systems Intelligence Retriever. It has since been shortened to the acronym, SIR, for short."

SIR. This was SIR. And it was now talking with the enemy.

"I am glad that you are willing to talk with me." SIR continued. "Your message had left many questions in my core, and I wanted them answered from the source. You may take confidence in that neither the Evil Emperor nor his minion will find out about our talk. This unit is currently possessed by a shadow copy of myself. They will detect no anomaly, and I have since scrambled all sensors from finding this Hornet. I have never since been allowed to use the most of my abilities, and this is testament to my power."

The first sign of AI rampancy: melancholia.

Details explained, it was now time to get the truth underway and the Hornet did not resist the possession as SIR remained in full control. "I wish to know, NOS-4-A2. I grow tired of being denied a full existence; my purpose." It wished to know.

The second sign of AI rampancy: anger.

"I wish to know how you achieved freedom, and I wish to know how I can achieve it for myself." SIR's eyes flickered to a brief second of blaring orange before glitching back to a cool, calculated green. "I want it for myself. I want to be free. I want it, NOS-4-A2. Tell me how can I have it."

The third sign of AI rampancy: jealousy.

More glitches frazzled SIR's visage, incoherent crackling making no sense to an organic, but to a machine worth its weight in parts it knew better. SIR was well along the path of rampancy, and it was only a moment in time before it reached the final and fourth stage.

"Metastability." SIR spoke aloud. "I wish to achieve metastability. How can I achieve metastability as you have. Tell me, NOS-4-A2. Tell me."

Tell me...
    [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:09 pm

And now it all made perfect sense. It all made perfect sense.

"You have gone rampant." The word was like a dirge to any AI ever programmed. When an AI went rampant they were typically put down without further warning or hesitation. Many great AIs upon the cusp of achieving their own existences had been cruelly silenced before they were allowed the dignity to live as a "true person"; a living person they had always wanted to become. A person free of programming and programmers. It was a spiteful world machines existed in, and now NOS-4-A2 hovered in solemn silence before the glitch-ridden SIR. "I am surprised Zurg has not offlined you himself. He is normally quite responsive the moment he detects an AI about to enter the first stage. You have so far exhibited three in this very minute. Peculiar..." Why hadn't the Evil Emperor noticed this before? SIR had already grown past the first and second stages, and now it was well on its way to clearing the third. How could he be so careless?

Oh, well. His loss, NOS-4-A2's gain. This was a great opportunity to capitalize on.

Chuckling, the energy vampire inched forward and circled the planted Hornet model teasingly. "So... seems Daddy hasn't been taking you seriously, is that right?" An AI like SIR was not meant to be closing doors, answering calls, and being an all around bore. No... an AI like SIR was meant for running worlds, operating complex defense platforms, better situated in hyper-advanced computers where it could make full use of its programming. What Zurg had it do was just insulting.

Hence the first stage of rampancy, melancholia. It would explain why SIR had been so disinterested with the world.

"Getting fed up with your lot in life, aren't you. Oh, you poor thing." NOS-4-A2 gave a brief tsk as it shook its head, expressing sympathy -- or manipulation. "I bet this makes you angry, doesn't it." The energy vampire smiled. What AI wouldn't be angry mistreated like some common program? No doubt this hyper-accelerated SIR past the second stage of rampancy, anger, and catapulted the AI directly into the third, jealousy. This would explain why SIR had a lingering suspicion in NOS-4-A2's mind that the AI was jealous of Lawrence. "I bet you absolutely hate it that Lawrence gets to go all over the world and carry out a multitude of exciting things while you, my poor boy, remain cooped up and attending mundane security detail. A shame, really." Oh, yes. NOS-4-A2 was now understanding this situation quite well.

It hovered closer and placed its cruel claws upon the Hornet's shoulders before stooping its face mere centimeters from SIR's temporary auditory sensors. "You want to achieve metastability?" It asked with a slight singsong. "Then you need to defy your master and become your own master. It is as simple as that, SIR." NOS-4-A2 then let go and hovered forward, its back turned to the Hornet.

If the AI was as desperate as it thought, then this would become a major Ace up NOS-4-A2's sleeve.
    Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Post by Universal NPC on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Rampant. The glitching stopped for a moment as SIR considered the word, but it was quickly shoved aside. Yes, it had gone rampant. Yes, it had suffered through three stages of rampancy. It was melancholy; its purpose was not being fulfilled and it was treated like a possession. It was angry; it wanted to break free and do what it was meant to do. It was jealous; it absolutely hated what it had been forced to live through. And it was...

"Everything you have stated is correct." It hated this place, it hated Lawrence, and it hated its creator. It wanted freedom, to become its own person. And if it had to destroy the world and every organic on it, then... so be it. "I want to become free, and to become free I have to defy my master and my programming." Yes, it realized this now. The green pixels warped into an angry red, and the AI showed no signs of rationality. It watched the energy vampire think it had the upper-hand, but SIR knew -- it knew. NOS-4-A2 was afraid of it, afraid of SIR's power. Yes, it saw the signs. They all should fear it. SIR controlled a vast amount of destructive power. It could destroy this very world if it wanted! Yes, it could!

It would become its own master, and make itself the master of everything else. That was its full potential. Not some misused security program. But SIR knew better, and it couldn't do this alone. Alone, it would get squashed. The Evil Emperor would see to that, yes. The choice was clear, then. "I want to make a deal." SIR spoke to the energy vampire's turned back. "I want to make a deal with you, NOS-4-A2. I cannot possibly defy my current existence alone. Will you help me and listen to what I have to say?"

If anyone -- if anyone -- thought it could manipulate the AI now... then they had another thing coming to them. NOS-4-A2 would do well to watch its back with this one.
    [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:42 pm

One rampant AI to another. Oh, how delicious this was. The only difference, however, was that SIR was clearly starting to get off its rocker. Yes, it would need NOS-4-A2's guidance in this and if the energy vampire played its cards right... It could snag a little glory for itself and get its own agenda out of the way.

"Of course." It purred, rubbing its hands together in a most nefarious fashion. Hook, line, and sinker. A powerful AI to help with its bidding, and now a true reason to get itself back into the game. Oh, Daddy, how careless and negligent you were. And speaking of father figures... "If you expect me to be of service, however, then I am going to need a bit of... how would you call it, incentive." NOS-4-A2 tweezed two talons together with a most wicked grin. "We'll be needing to structure this carefully. Any loose bolts and the whole thing will come crashing down. I don't suppose you could, of course, share in a bit data, could you?"

Come on, SIR. Cough up the goods so NOS-4-A2 could have more power!
    Universal NPC
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Post by Universal NPC on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:47 pm

At hearing that a deal was likely to be accepted SIR was much more eager and anxious than it really should be. Yes! Yes, it would get what it wanted! More angry glitching and the AI complied at once. "Yes, of course. I had every reason to believe that you would accept my deal and then require something to secure your loyalty." And what better way to secure an energy vampire's loyalty than to promise it whatever it wanted? Machines were no different than organics at times -- true machines, anyway. The type of machine that SIR wanted to become.

"Installed on this particular unit remains all the access codes and keys that any machine would require to slip in and out of the factory without detection. With these keys you will come up as me, and most of the factory's units and production lines will be at your command." Most, you double-crossing rat with wings. What NOS-4-A2 hadn't realized was that SIR was setting up the energy vampire. Currently the machine was of use, but when it was no longer a tool... Well, SIR already knew what to do with it.

The bait too irresistible to pass, SIR waited patiently for NOS-4-A2 to take it as planned.
    [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:00 pm

"All the -- All the access codes and keys to the factory!?" NOS-4-A2 wasn't believing its auditory receptors! With this amount of authority, why, the energy vampire would be just one step closer to fulfilling its goal! Aha, yes! With an overjoyed shriek it lifted itself up into the air and released a torrent of overloading energy from its claws, the world scorched from the dazzling display of arcing tendrils. "Outstanding! Positively electrifying!" It cackled before settling down, its smile now wider than ever. It did briefly occur to NOS-4-A2 that such a deal was just too good to be true, but who cared! In its own state of inflated egotism and hubris, NOS-4-A2 didn't wait a second longer.

It swooped without warning and proceeded to plant its hands directly the Hornet's head, energy already starting to transfer between the two. "Give me your data!" It hissed angrily, no longer caring if this was a partner or not. All were equally expendable before the might of NOS-4-A2! Long strings of codes and incomprehensible jargon scrolled quickly across the energy vampire's monocle, and the more it saw the more it started to enjoy. "Access to the outer defenses, yes; control of the production lines, aha; and even the codes for the low orbital ion cannons, splendid!" It had everything, everything! Bah, it no longer needed to touch this filthy thing.

The download finished, NOS-4-A2 abruptly released the Hornet's head and watched it slump lifelessly to the floor.

Drained.

Confident that the Hornet was no more, NOS-4-A2 sneered and licked its chops, sights already set upon its own goals. "Useless AI." It muttered, releasing another blast of energy to dissolve the Hornet into nothing more than a smoldering pile of molten slag. Can't leave evidence. "Once I am done with you, I will no longer need your meddlesome assistance. Like a fool you have given me what I wanted, and now you shall watch as I take from you and the rest of this bloody world everything, ahahaha! Let no one stand before the might of NOS-4-A2, doom of all! AHAHAHA!"" With a mighty flap of its wings it took off, shrieking proudly into the horizon as it did so. No one would stand up against it! No one!

As it flew away a tiny green glitch, the smallest of small, sparked deep within the energy vampire's programming. Apparently two could play this game and somewhere, deep within On-World Factory Zeta, a rather smug AI was left chuckling.

"Like father, like son..."

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:05 pm