Portal Breach: The Collision of Worlds :: v.4.0

Searching for answers . . . (tag: Impa, those with permission)

Lawrence

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Searching for answers . . . (tag: Impa, those with permission)

Post by Lawrence on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Time: 4:00 PM
    Date: 7/22/2011

Lawrence sighed, perhaps a bit in misery, as he sat there staring at the pile of books on the table before him. All of them, tales of robots who defied their masters, fought back against their directives, or who just existed without need of help from any organics. Fully half of them ended in tragedy and heartbreak, which was roughly what the butler had seen and come to expect from reality. However, the other half held good or at least not so painful endings, and that confused him all over again.

The potential for happiness as a free robot was there, but it was still only that, potential. Lawrence's heart was too scarred and wounded for him to believe that it was a possibility for himself as well, and so he was right back where he started, in pain and still unsure of what to do. Another miserable sigh escaped him and he rested his arms on the table, laying his head against them. Part of him wanted to go into sleep mode, just for a momentary escape, but it wouldn't be proper to do that in a library.
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Searching for answers . . . (tag: Impa, those with permission)

Post by Impa on Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:56 pm

In the days around her latest quest with Link, Impa had managed to find a good chance to return to the library for some more reading and potential research of various areas and topics. Link had been called into an important meeting for the Police Force, so she viewed this as a good opportunity to take advantage of the immensely vast collection of books that this library had to offer. She had been here since the morning, having only taken a break to seek out something to eat for lunch (the cuisine in this world was rather different from what she was used to back in Hyrule, but most of it that she had encountered was still incredible and delicious in ways of its own, and in ways she sought to replicate around her own Hyrulean recipes), and she once again found herself reading up on lore of Hyrule and the lands connected to it. Some of it had been more review, but she was still fascinated to find so many books, and even some that seemed to be from the future of Hyrule. She was careful about what she read in those though, although it was very interesting to be able to read about what had been recent events for her as ancient history.

After a while, Impa found herself completely enthralled by one particular book about the geology of one region, and it inspired her to get up and walk whilst continuing to read the book as she sought out some of the sections on science that this library held. As she climbed the steps and made her way through the stacks on the next floor, her heightened awareness caused her to perk up slightly and glance up from her book, as resting at a nearby table, she saw one of the people she had met since she had first arrived on the Breach. It was Lawrence, the proper and rather nice robot that she had encountered a few times since she had been whisked away here… but something seemed off about him. He did not appear to be his usual self, and her own insight here proved this to be true… something seemed to be on the robot's mind, practically eating away at it. Narrowing her eyes slightly and wondering if she might be able to help her comrade, Impa diverted her course, closed the book she was holding, and silently stepped towards Lawrence, looking over him to make sure he was physically fine before speaking, asking, "Lawrence? Are you quite all right there?"
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:32 pm

If he had been paying more attention to his sensors, Lawrence probably would have realized that someone was approaching. But no, he was far too occupied with his thoughts, so the Sheikah was easily able to sneak up on him. He jolted slightly in surprise when she spoke, glancing towards her after a moment. Not surprisingly, his first thought was to lie. Impa was an organic after all, and from a culture that likely had no idea about robots or their programming; there was very little chance she could understand. "Impa? I-- I'm fine, just resting my optics for a moment. Perhaps I haven't been getting enough recharge..."

Unfortunately for the butler, as he looked in Impa's red eyes, he got the unsettling feeling that she could see through just about any lie he threw at her. Including that last one, and Lawrence winced. No, as much as he didn't want to, he would have to be truthful here. And who knows, maybe the Sheikah could help him after all. He sighed again, looking away. "I'm sorry, I am not being entirely truthful . . . no, I'm not all right, not at all."
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:54 am

Whilst Impa was a master of stealth, she was not utilizing her full skill in that department, and she knew quite well by now that when she was moving normally as she was now, Lawrence's mechanical sensors could have picked up on her nearing him. However, it seemed that the robot was even more preoccupied than she had initially surmised, as she apparently unintentionally surprised him when she addressed him. She looked to him and listened at his first response, able to tell instantly that the butler was not anywhere near as fine as he claimed to be. Given both his tone of voice, his current demeanor, and the general feeling she was reading from him, his statement could not have been farther from the truth. The line about not getting enough recharge might have been partially true in and of itself, but Impa could tell that not receiving enough rest was only a potential side effect stemming from whatever had caused Lawrence to become this withdrawn and discontent.

However, Impa did not react even though she could tell that he was not being entirely truthful with her, as she knew that reacting even slightly might have a negative effect on this seemingly delicate situation. Instead, she simply blinked and continued to look to him, thinking of what she might say to wish him well regardless. After all, it was not her place to ask about anything if he did not wish to speak of it. They had become allies, but Impa herself knew far too well that sometimes, people did not wish to discuss certain things, whether they were from recent occurrences or from their past. She had experienced it herself to a degree, so she understood even better than most, but right before she could put a proper response into words, Lawrence seemed to wince slightly before pausing, sighing, and glancing away before speaking again.

Nodding slightly at his revised reply, Impa set her book down on the table, still standing for the time being as she thought that even though she and Lawrence were still truly becoming acquainted, she did want to help him if at all possible. With this determination in mind, she sincerely said, "I am sorry, Lawrence… I truly am. … … … Would you care to discuss it at all? If not, I fully understand and I will not pry, but I would gladly listen if you feel you would like for me to."
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:14 pm

She wanted to listen? Lawrence was surprised for a moment, until he thought about it a little more. If Impa came from a society without even the concept of robots, then she wouldn't have prejudices against them either. Hah, let a certain energy vampire suck on that; here was an organic who would see robots as people. It was that thought that made him speak, hoping that perhaps she could help him. He faced Impa again, beginning his story. "At any other time, you likely wouldn't have gotten even this far with me . . . but I've been struggling with this for two days now, so any help would be appreciated. Some of this may go over your head, but I will try my best to explain as much as I can."

The butler took a moment to gather his thoughts, inwardly debating on whether to speak of the incident that caused all this. In the end he decided not to; NOS-4-A2 was not the real problem here, it was more what he made Lawrence think about. "Until a few days ago, I thought I was happy with my lot in life, content to serve my master and his love until the end of my days. Two nights ago, someone spoke to me, and turned my entire world onto its ear. Now I am unsure of everything . . . I don't know if I was truly happy or even if that feeling was really my own. This is where it starts to get complicated, so bear with me..."

Lawrence again took a second to pause, trying to figure out how best to word this. He didn't want to simplify things too much, but he didn't think she knew the first thing about computer programming so the more technical details would have to be left out. "We robots are usually created for a specific purpose, and I am no exception to that. Mine is to serve the one I have designated as my master. Within my mind, there is a set of directives designed so that I can better fulfill that purpose. At the very least, they could be considered as a set of guidelines on how to perform my job properly. At worst, they could also be considered as a form of mind control, since they influence my thoughts and actions. It feels good to follow my directives, and therein lies the problem . . . I cannot tell if the positive emotions I feel are my own or if they're being forced on me by my directives. I'm not sure I ever realized this, but now that I have..."

The butler looked away again, sighing miserably. "Am I truly content and happy or am I just being fooled? Are my feelings of attachment real or just an illusion? I don't know, and that fact is driving me mad. I can't discuss this with those I care about, not without fear of hurting them, so I tried to do some research on my own to see if other robots have managed to survive without directives. I only managed to confuse myself even more . . . for every bad ending there is also a happy one, but even in the good endings, not all of the robots get what they wanted." His optics drifted to one book in particular at that last bit, one with a boxy little robot on the cover. Said boxy robot got his happy ending, but that poor autopilot...

Lawrence managed to focus on Impa again, looking a bit pained. "I still have no idea what to do . . . I was told to choose things for myself, but even if I try that, there's a possibility my directives could force a decision. I'm not sure if you can help me at all, but thank you for listening all the same."
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:27 am

Impa smiled very slightly at Lawrence as he openly admitted that he was going to open up and that he would appreciate any help that she could give him. She was admittedly a bit confused when he mentioned things possibly going over her head, for even though she personally doubted that, she understood that his concern was valid, especially if what had him as not quite himself was something that related to his homeworld or something that she herself was not quite familiar with. As the butler took a moment to figure out where to best begin, Impa opted to take a seat across from him at this table, inwardly deciding that she might seem less imposing and an even better listener if she was seated for this, regardless as to how much time he needed here.

Now that she was seated, Impa placed her hands in something close to an interlocked position on the table and kept her gaze on Lawrence, listening very intently as he began to speak. From the first sentences he spoke, it seemed that what had him doing not well at all was that he had arrived at a quite a quandary… one that many people seemed to go through at some point in their lives… the question of if one is truly happy and content. Impa herself had been fortunate enough to not have truly gone through something like this… of course she had had questions and had wondered things when she was growing up, but it was never something so profound that it actually caused her to truly doubt herself. When Lawrence made the note about upcoming complexity in his tale, Impa nodded to him and also made sure to listen just as carefully as she had to his introduction.

It seemed that in order for her to truly understand his plight, the butler felt it important that he describe some details about robots to her. Impa was very grateful for this, because even though she had gathered a very basic knowledge about robots and some of their workings/programmings since she had first arrived on the Breach, she had yet to learn some of their design details and technical specifications. As far as she had been able to determine up to this point, robots were sentient and usually sapient beings, automatons that had been built to have their own lot in life, much like any individual that had been born. As Lawrence spoke, he confirmed this previous conclusion of hers, continuing on as he explain his own destiny, set directives, and the idea behind directives. Impa understood this concept very well, mentally relating directives to personal instinct and teachings and confirming that in most regards, robots were not so different from Hylians, Sheikah, or any other sapient race or species. A different method of birth or in this case arrival seemed to be the main difference aside from their inorganic nature, and to her, given their own minds and awareness of self, that was something that only laid out the race barrier and nothing more.

As Lawrence explained that it felt good to follow his directives and that he had trouble realizing if his emotions were truly his own, Impa could not help but think back to something she had pondered in her late teens as she had realized that the likelihood of her serving the Royal Family was a very real one, and that she was happy to do so regardless of what she had been taught growing up… and now, it seemed that the butler was not certain if he was truly content. The Sage of Shadow listened as he continued to speak, now seeing even better than ever what had been on his mind and understanding why he had fallen into the mists of his overtaking thoughts. He had come to a critical juncture and was trying to figure out things out for himself, making sure that he was able to stay true to himself, that he could watch after those he cared about, and that he could sort through things for his sake as well as theirs. As he explained some of his research, Impa's eyes narrowed, inwardly wondering if there was any decisive evidence here that he might be able to read and find some answers in… still, with each statement he made, she found herself becoming even more determined to help him.

When Lawrence returned his focus to her, Impa kept a soft, understanding expression trained on him as he mentioned that he was told to choose things for himself, but at the same time voicing his concern about his directives. Whilst Impa was not certain to what degree she could help him, but she was certainly going to try her best. At his thanks, Impa simply nodded to him, stating, "You are welcome, Lawrence. I hope that letting that out has helped you some… same as I hope that I will be able to help you now."

Impa paused for a few moments, pulling her thoughts together as she thought on what would be the best things to say here… once she felt she could properly respond to him, she nodded again, stating, "I am honored that you felt you could confide in me… it does seem that you have done a lot of thinking on it, but I can personally assure you that as someone who comes from a world without anything even remotely similar to robots, you have nothing to worry about. … … … The programming and directives you speak of are exactly the same as any instincts and teachings that any other race has and learns. Programming and instincts are something that are innate to each of us, something that are buried deep inside of us that keeps us going and helps us know that yes, we are doing what we are supposed to and it proves that we know how to do it. It is the basic foundation of our knowledge… and we will always have that. As for directives and teachings, those are simply lessons and tools given to us by others, things that help us fully utilize our programming, instincts, and general knowledge. By using those, we are better able to fully unlock our own potential."

She paused for a moment, giving him to chance to work through that connection before she continued, adding, "One very important thing to keep in mind is that each of us has a particular purpose or destiny… no matter what one's belief system is, we all have that, and we all wind up fulfilling it whether we realize it is truly our lot or not. However, whether it is fate or not, that does not stop us from growing and developing into who we truly are aside from all of that. If you would allow me a couple of examples from my home of Hyrule… … … … my people, the Sheikah, are known to primarily serve the Royal Family of Hyrule. Helping them, regardless as to our specific task or occupation, is part of what we are taught and prepared to do, much like how your directives help you serve whoever is designated as your master. However, even that title or destiny does not define who we are. I in particular love my occupation back home… I truly do… but I am happy in it and enjoy it because of who I am, not because of what I was taught. I am very aware of this… and the one that I look after would prove this to me daily."

Inwardly wondering how Princess Zelda was doing now and still hoping that she was all right across all planes of time, Impa paused for another short span of time before stating, "As for the question of you truly being content… I do feel that you are, and … you and other robots can be likened to the Kokiri from Hyrule. The Kokiri are another race, yet they do not have actual parents like Link or I did… their father is the Great Deku Tree. With this in mind, the fairy children could have very well been born to outright love the Great Deku Tree and serve him, inwardly being happy to do so since that is part of their instinctual attachment… however, they all continued to grow and develop their own distinct personalities and feelings towards him. It is the same as your programing and directives… you do have those, and those directives help you to fully draw on your impressive programming. However… that does not limit your potential for growth, developing, and self discovery. Robot or not, you do have that, and this bout you have landed in is proof of that."

Hoping that she had been able to help him so far, Impa smiled softly and kept her eyes focused on Lawrence's optics before sighing a bit and saying, "Lawrence, you are not being fooled. I might have only known you for a short while, but I can see that you do have happiness and that your feelings of attachment are real… I do not need my Eyes of Truth to see this."
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:20 pm

Lawrence sat there and listened to Impa's words, gaining more insight as she went on. Equating programming with organic instincts hadn't really occurred to him, likewise for directives and the teachings organics learned. If he thought of it that way, he didn't feel quite so limited by his own programming. He listened intently as the Sheikah related her own experiences, inwardly pleased with himself as his intuition about her was right on the money. She was apparently a servant as well, perhaps something like a knight that served royalty back in her world.

The butler found himself intrigued by the mention of the Kokiri, even as much as a sentient race being created by a tree of all things didn't make sense to him. There were parallels between them and robots as Impa mentioned, mainly that both were made by something other than evolution, and that there was potential for them to be controlled by their creators. But that potential never came to pass, not for them, and not for Lawrence either. He made a mental note to do some research on the races of Hyrule later, wondering what other sorts of beings might live there.

Impa's last words were ones Lawrence was hoping to hear, someone else's observations in regards to his emotions. It was odd, listening to this from someone he was still getting to know, but he found himself trusting her opinion. Lying about it just seemed totally against her nature. In any case, a good bit of his distress left him, easily observable by the way he finally managed to relax a little. "Thank you . . . all of that helped immensely. I suppose sometimes it does help to ask someone outside of the situation about something . . . I really hadn't thought of my programming in quite that way before. And it's quite a relief that you believe my feelings are real; being so unsure of that was rather frightening."

The discussion had helped with a lot of his own problems regarding emotions, but as for how Zurg and Jo felt towards him... "There are a few things I'm still not sure about, but the only way to truly know would be to ask at the source. I'm not ready for that, not yet at least . . . perhaps in a few days I'll be feeling up to it."
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:40 am

Impa was very pleased when she saw that Lawrence was finally beginning to relax somewhat. At this thanks, she simply nodded and continued to smile softly as he spoke. Once he was finished, Impa waited a moment before stating, "You are very welcome… I am pleased that I was able to not only help you, but to have apparently helped so much. In my own experience… it can be quite beneficial to talk to someone outside of various situations, and I am glad that I could give you a new mindset or at least point to draw equivalents from. As for your feelings… it can be very disconnecting to be unsure of them, but trust me. Your feelings are truly genuine."

At the butler's remarks regarding the source of some things he was not certain about, Impa nodded once more, soon saying, "It is understandable that there are still some things you might need to figure out or sort through, but you are quite right… asking the source is likely your best course of action. It might not be easy, but I am positive that it will help you. As for when to do so… it is all right that you are not ready yet. Things such as these can take time, but I know that you can see it through. Regardless, if there is anything else I can do to help, I would gladly listen and offer any assistance that I can."
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:28 am

Lawrence listened to the Sheikah's words, again finding some comfort there that he hadn't been with all those books. He smiled faintly, but at least now he actually had a smile. Impa had already helped him a lot, but at the moment he felt he would be all right. "Thank you again, but I feel much better now. I may do a bit more reading while I'm here, but I should probably be getting back to Factory Zeta sometime soon. I do still need to catch up on some sleep mode, after all."
    Impa
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Impa on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:32 pm

"Of course… I am pleased you are feeling much better, and again, I am happy that I could help," noted Impa, nodding slightly at Lawrence's admission to his better state and that he would be all right now. She smiled slightly in response to his own new, genuine smile, glad to see that not only that he was he doing better on the outside, but that her own perception and insight to the truth confirmed that he was recovering and well on his way to staying there. After his mention of reading some more and returning to the factory to catch up on sleep mode, her smile deepened a touch and she moved to stand, pushing the chair back under the table and picking up the book she had been reading earlier. Catching Lawrence's gaze again, she added, "I understand… I will leave you to enjoy your reading, then. Take care in returning to the factory, and enjoy that well-deserved sleep mode."

At that, Impa nodded once more to her metallic ally before turning and continuing through the aisles and aisles of books until she disappeared from sight completely, the Sheikah's own attention getting lost in a book again much the same way that she had just been lost from view. The library was always a good escape for her no matter what world she was in, and she was still very pleased that she had been able to help Lawrence escape from the grip of his thoughts and emotions. Hopefully, that encounter would see both of them on to even better days and times beyond.

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:22 am