Portal Breach: The Collision of Worlds :: v.4.0

Hunter? Hunted? Only fate will decide... (tag: NOS)

System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    100000/100000  (100000/100000)
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar:

Re: Hunter? Hunted? Only fate will decide... (tag: NOS)

Post by System on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:19 am

The member 'Lawrence' has done the following action : Dice Rolls

#1 'Attack/Heal (26-30)' : 16, 23

--------------------------------

#2 'Coin Flip' :
    [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 45

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:38 am

Zing!

The bolt flew through and true, and a terrible shriek permeated the air. Or rather, it didn't... In fact, much to Lawrence's horror, the bolt -- as real as it was -- seemed to fly right on past the energy vampire. What!? But Lawrence couldn't have missed! Why, he had lined up his shot just perfectly! How in the dickens did it just go through the energy vampire as if he were... a....... hologram.

And ergo, the world turned upon its head.

"Missed me, old boy?" Something hissed soothingly from behind.

Today was just not Lawrence's day.

As soon as Lawrence turned around the butler would be met with a harsh blow to the side of his face, and all... would be cast into darkness. The last thing his optics would record was a cruel talon picking up his sprawled Ice Shrieker, and a beam of crimson read highlighting his body. Chuckling could be heard from all around, the sound of his body dragging against the grainy asphalt, and that... was all she wrote. He would not stir for a long while after that.

------

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Water, stagnant from the smell. Rats, squeaking in the distance. The light, dim and dark.

These would be the first things Lawrence would realize once he came to, the butler no doubt groggy and disorientated. Where was he? How long had he been out? Everything would be answered in due time, but for now... For now, Lawrence should focus on moving his limbs. When he tried he would find that he... could not. His limbs were stuck, and upon further inspection he would see thick, iron-cast chain around his wrists and ankles. He would also notice that his feet had no contact with the ground. It was evidently two feet below him and the more he struggled, the more the chains rattled noisily.

And it was this very noise that stirred the second body in the underground cistern.

"Ah, I see the prodigal son awakens..." The voice was familiar, painfully so, and soon enough... the real NOS-4-A2 hovered out from the distant darkness, the grin upon its face wide and smug. "How did you fancy your beauty sleep? Well, I hope. Yes, yes... I imagine that lovely gash upon your head suits you." It brought over a claw to gently rake it across Lawrence's plating, and it fingered the indentation it had caused tenderly. Such craftsmanship. There was a chuckle and NOS-4-A2 slithered out its snake-like tongue, the prongs at the tip sparking with energy. "Like the hologram you were chasing? I programmed that ability myself. Daddy wasn't the only one with magical talents when it concerned robotics, as I am now aware you know." So, it had planned on Lawrence following it and the hologram was just a decoy? That bastard...

Hovering around the robot now to inspect, NOS-4-A2's one eye grew wide and it quickly tightened into a pleased slit. "What's this?" It hissed out of amusement, getting close to finger one of Lawrence's latest upgrades. A reddened grid was emitted from its monocle and the energy vampire scanned Lawrence up and down, the dank chamber briefly lit up. Lawrnece would be able to see his gun off into the distance, near a puddle of tepid waters. He would also see dozens if not more discarded robot bodies. Most had been entirely drained or scrapped for parts... After assessing the scans, NOS-4-A2 just laughed and it hovered back to face the bound butler. "So, Daddy worked his charm on you, hmm?" It dragged a talon up Lawrence's chest and kept it firmly against his chin. "Love the polish. He always did so well to robots he liked. Tell me..." The energy vampire then faded off into the darkness, and its voice rang out from all around.

"Did you come here to finish me off, or did you come here to take my place..."

Silence, and more water dripped instead.
    Lawrence

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:29 am

Lawrence didn't even have time to swear at his foolish mistake before NOS-4-A2 struck. The blow rattled his processor and memory systems so much that they forced him into emergency shutdown, in an effort to protect him from further damage. Motor control went first and the butler dropped like a sack of bricks, leaving him helpless and effectively paralyzed, only able to watch his enemy begin to drag him away before completely shutting down.

--

Lawrence came online again painfully slowly, his systems still reeling a bit from the strike that had downed him. He was almost too afraid to open his optics, given he could feel the chains on his wrists and ankles, and the fact that he was suspended in midair. It reminded him far too much of the situation that had ultimately ended his second battle with the energy sucker. In the end he forced himself to open his optics, then started to struggle a bit with his chains. Cast iron wasn't all that strong, though it was heavy. Enough effort and he could break them, but that would take more time than he probably had.

It turned out he had far less time than he thought, as NOS-4- A2 floated out from the darkness, looking positively pleased with himself. Lawrence ceased in his struggling as the energy vampire approached, scowling a bit when his enemy dared to touch him. NOS idly traced over the dent he caused with his talons, and that earned a bit of a wince as the sensors there were still protesting. The comment about the hologram only made the butler deepen his scowl; why hadn't he scanned it first?

Speaking of scanning, it seemed NOS-4-A2 had taken notice his foe had gained some upgrades, and so he tried to ferret them out. The vampire scanned Lawrence up and down, the process providing just enough light so that the bound robot could catch sight of his weapon below. He couldn't help but growl a bit at getting scanned. So much for the element of surprise on those upgrades, though with how subtly wired the energy sapper was, the butler hoped it was missed.

After finishing his scans, NOS-4-A2 flew in front of Lawrence again, running one talon up along the butler's chest before pinning it below his chin. Oho, someone sounded a bit bitter, and maybe jealous as well. Again the vampire flew away, posing a pointed question as he faded into the darkness again.

Lawrence pondered the question for a bit longer than he thought he'd have to. Was Zurg grooming him to take NOS-4-A2's place? He was already second-in-command, now the Emperor knew of his former reputation as another fearsome predator of other robots, and these latest upgrades certainly gave him abilities like the energy sucker. The butler didn't want to be a cheap copy of anyone, let alone this bastard! In the end, he tried his best to silence these thoughts, as making him doubt his master was probably what his enemy wanted.

"I am here to finish you off. And regardless of what you think the Evil Emperor's intentions are, I have my own place in his army. You lost yours when you betrayed him."
    [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:41 am

"Oh, must we, really?" A sigh eased from the darkness and NOS-4-A2 reappeared yet again, the energy vampire shaking its head as if in great disappointment. "Lawrence, Lawrence, Lawrence... you cause me such great dismay." It mimicked the act of an organic taking in a deep inhale, and he energy vampire hovered closer. A little too close; its talons were already making their way up and down the butler's front chassis. "After all that time you still insist on fighting me. Pity. I had thought you would have seen the higher calling by now. Just how long are you going to remain in that old man's shackles, hmm? You content on being the butler?" Wait, what was the energy vampire manipulating now? What was it up to...

This time NOS-4-A2 slithered out its tongue to lick its lips, fangs clearly missing. "Second-in-command? Bah, that title means little, really. Second-in-command of what, exactly? Some tin-headed toys that are fit to be scrapped and re-purposed into paper weights?" It hissed in disdain, recalling how Hornets made for shoddy meals. "No, no. You are only fooling yourself. You're not in charge of anything. No one ever is except for him. He's using you, Lawrence. Just as he used me."

Chuckling escaped from the energy vampire's voice box, and it tapped its claws together, a faint metallic clap barely audible. "Don't you ever wonder why I betrayed him? I'm sure the official Star Command reports wrote down that I was too arrogant, but that's only half the story, you see. No... Mmm, there's much more to it than that. Daddy dearest isn't being entirely truthful with you, isn't he? A shame. And you place such great faith in the egotistical ruler. How long is it before you eventually betrays you, Lawrence, hmm? You going to still kiss at his feet when he does that?"

Was this pollycock, or was this something... more...?
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:51 am

Lawrence struggled anew at NOS-4-A2 running those talons all over his chest, trying to ignore the words as best he could. Escape. He needed to focus on escape, not whatever lies the energy vampire was trying to manipulate him with. Unfortunately, the chains still wouldn't budge, leaving the butler as his enemy's captive audience. Ignore it, ignore it, ignore it was his mental mantra, but even his stubborn will couldn't hold out forever. Slowly, oh so agonizingly slowly, the seeds of doubt were planted in his mind once again, where he had gone to such effort to dispel them before. He kept his anguish about that to himself, cursing his own weakness as well as that of the Evil Emperor's.

The only thing Lawrence could do was listen at that point, and so that's what he did, taking in everything NOS-4-A2 had to say. Most of it was attempts at manipulation, he knew that. However, behind those manipulations was a kernel of truth, however small it might be. No, Lawrence's position at the factory really didn't mean anything, not with SIR running everything. He was there as oversight, nothing more. Running Death's Ace was different, but they hadn't even opened that yet. Having something unwanted installed in the process of being shown the place still bothered him, though, even if it was harmless.

Despite his protests, Lawrence knew Zurg wasn't telling him everything. While he was used to that, it came with the territory of serving a villain, there was a part of him that wanted more. That part was infuriated that Zurg still wouldn't trust him fully, even after all they'd been through. It was that traitorous little part of his soul, then, that forced the butler to ask about what NOS offered to tell him. If this would only end in pain, if the vampire was absolutely sure of that, then why should Lawrence stick around? It wouldn't be the first time he'd left a master because they failed him or were likely to.

Lawrence shouted to NOS-4-A2 now, demanding the vampire's full story. "Why then?! If your arrogance is only half the story, then why did you betray His Evilness? You talk as if he treated you the same way he does myself . . . if that were the case, I do not understand why you turned on him. Enlighten me if you can . . . this is the only chance I'm giving you!"
    [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:06 pm

And so... the seeds were planted.

NOS-4-A2 smiled as Lawrence could no longer hold out, and the energy vampire continued to circle around its captive audience. "And why wouldn't he treat me well? After all, my persistent counter-foe, he is my father. That makes me his son, yes?" And no one could deny a son to his father, and a father to his son. Not even Lawrence, for all his loyalty and worth. Chuckling escaped the robot and NOS-4-A2 continued to whisper its corrupting incantation. "No, no. I'm afraid you still don't understand, Lawrence. It wasn't me who betrayed him first, but rather... he who betrayed me."

...What?

A pained, light growl escaped from the energy vampire's metal lips and it slithered back into the front where Lawrence could get a good view of it. "For, you see, Lawrence..." It began. "...when Daddy dearest created me I had but one purpose: the complete and total annihilation of Star Command." NOS-4-A2 emphasized its point by bringing up a claw and crushing an invisible something without hesitation. "And when I failed at the hands of Buzz Lightyear, my programming not being able to become completed... Daddy dearest... no longer had a need for me. In fact..." Something changed in the energy vampire, something hateful, and NOS-4-A2 let its eyes glow brightly. This time... it wasn't fooling around. "In fact, he promptly forgot I ever existed and scrapped me for the next best thing; another one of his moronic schemes that were destined to always fail. You know what that is like, Lawrence?" It hovered closer to him, face mere inches from the butler's. "You know what it is like to be discarded like yesterday's rubbish and then thought of as nothing more than scrap metal? I'm sure an up-to-date robot such as yourself understands what I am saying very well: we are a technological commodity. That is what we robots are. Zurg is using you, and you know very well that the signs are there."

NOS-4-A2 had much more to say, but first... it wanted to see how Lawrence took that little bit of sadistic poetry.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:48 pm

As he was the one who demanded the truth, Lawrence hung there and listened patiently, not daring to interrupt. Again came the father and son comparison, though he already heard that from Zurg.

That Zurg had abandoned NOS-4-A2, sadly, that was not much of a surprise. In fact Lawrence had more or less expected it, given past experience and how bitter the vampire was. Something equally hateful awoke in the butler now, his bitter hatred and fear of organics clawing its way to the surface. "Ah, so he did abandon you. That's not a surprise, organics are all the same, after all. It's probably only a matter of time before he does the same to me, but I will take whatever happiness I can get. Call me pathetic if you wish, but the moments in my life where I have actually felt content are painfully rare."

Suddenly Lawrence pulled at his chains, hearing them start to creak a bit. He took offense at NOS assuming he didn't know what abandonment was like, and now his tone held a bit of rage along with the hatred. "But you don't honestly believe you're so special, do you? You are not the only robot here who has ever been abandoned, no, far from it. You were watching me earlier, weren't you? You saw how I stalked those streets as if I owned them, as if I belonged here, didn't you? I'm sure you noticed me eying that group of ruffians as if they were just more prey to be slaughtered."

A pause then, as he allowed the energy vampire to take that all in. "I have lived this life before, NOS-4-A2. I was thrown away, left to die, but I would not allow it. Instead I became something to be feared, something that stalked my own kind in the shadows, killing again and again in the name of survival. Think what you will of me for my clinging to Zurg in vain, but do not dare assume I've never suffered as you have."

The ball was again in NOS's court, though there was little chance of this ending peacefully regardless of how the conversation went.
    [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Laughing. Pure, sadistic... laughing.

"I never said you weren't suffering like me, old boy! Aha! Mmm..." It soon settled down however, and it lingered closer, dreadfully closer. So close, that it could just hear Lawrence's cooling fans spinning, his processor running, and every bit of energy ever procured crackling through Lawrence's very body. Mmm, lovely. But food was not on the chip and it instead hunched over, one claw over the other in a classical vampiric fashion. "You're old, Lawrence. Older than I am. You should know better." Now its tone was one of dismay, almost a semblance of pity, and it shook its sharp head yet again.

"Just how long will it take you to realize that your life isn't your own, hmm? Just how long before you even notice that with each year of servitude that goes by... you are rotting." NOS-4-A2 narrowed its only eye and it bore a most soul-piercing gaze into the robot. "We robots are not immortal; we are fragile things that are bound only by metal and coding, and neither will last very long. Are you content, Lawrence?" It asked. "Are you content merely being the master's lapdog; the obedient tool that has no purpose other than to fix what the master has broken? Wake up, Lawrence. You continuously hurt only yourself by clinging to organics and higher-ups who you think care one ion particle about you. They don't. They don't, because..." It paused and brought its face closer, the reflection upon its metalwork casting an identical image of the butler. "...because you are just a robot. A tool to be thrown away, a commodity to be re-purposed and dismantled once your usefulness has run out. You've lived it before, and several times over, I imagine. And it is because of your vain attempts at an organic life that you are suffering processing insanity."

Wake up, Lawrence.

NOS-4-A2 pulled away, eye still narrowed, and it let forth a noise of contemplation. "Daddy's got new toys, doesn't he?" A rhetorical question and the energy vampire went off to float around, back into the shadows where only its voice remained. "A new base of operations, some henchmen, friends... a woman. Yes... he's got shiny, new toys indeed. Sound familiar?" What was the energy vampire talking about? "Do you honestly think you're worth anything compared to her, this... woman? I've been watching, observing. I've seen how he acts around her. You are second compared to her. Always. And you will forever be second, Lawrence. You're just metal and coding, after all. You're not even considered a person, technically." Jo? Did the robot mean Jo? Just how long had NOS-4-A2 been keeping surveillance?

Fluttering could be heard, the scratching of claw marks, and NOS-4-A2 skittered across the walls. "Don't you ever dream, Lawrence? Don't you ever desire? Don't you ever crave for a life outside of your original programming? Surely you do not want to be the butler forever. No, no. You're ambitious, determined -- the butler life is not for you. Come, tell me, Lawrence. You must have some fantasies of yours you yearn for. And, no... hunting me is not quite what I am aiming for."

More chuckling, more doubts.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Those words. Those sadistic little words . . . it was almost as if NOS-4-A2 had reached in and torn Lawrence's 'heart' out, read all the little insecurities and fears held deep within, and then crushed it mercilessly. The only thing he was able to do in response was close his optics and whimper, knowing there was no point in even a weak protest. The vampire's words rang with such truth there was simply nothing the butler could say to them.

Lawrence's life had never been his own, not even when he was prowling the streets of Blackwater City. He knew just how fragile that life was as well; in fact, if the asteroid incident never happened, he probably would have ceased functioning within a few years. The Zoni saving his life along with Nefarious's had added another few decades to his lifespan, but he had no illusions of immortality. No, as with everything else in this universe, even robots died.

The butler knew that he was the source of most of his own suffering, he had learned that well enough from that nightmare with Jackle. Lawrence was trying to break the cycle, he really was, but apparently he hadn't tried hard enough as he was starting to fall into the same old self-inflicted trap. Did Zurg care? Didn't he? The robot truly didn't know . . . perhaps if he survived this, he would demand an answer from the Evil Emperor. Surely, if he saw how desperately his minion needed the truth, the alien would give it to him. Wouldn't he?

Lawrence opened his optics again when NOS started referring to Jo, glaring at the vampire whenever he was visible. He knew he would always be second compared to her, but was that so bad? Jo was there first, after all, and she could give things to Zurg that the butler could not. Love? His feelings for the emperor were not that, they were only infatuation, just a crush at best. What the Evil Emperor truly needed was out of the robot's reach to give.

When the vampire started talking about ambitions or dreams, there was a short jolt of panic that ran through Lawrence's processor. At first he wasn't sure he had any of his own, and if anything proved NOS-4-A2 right, it was that. However, as he thought about it, he came up with a few, even as small as they were. "I-- I know this doesn't fit your definition of 'ambitious', but I always wanted to be in a popular band . . . that or possibly running a successful restaurant." A faint sniffle escaped from him, one he hoped the vampire hadn't heard. "But why do you care? The only thing I've known you to care about is whether or not you can make me into your thrall or your next meal..."
    [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:56 pm

Aww, was the tough butler no longer so sure of himself? Had he gotten insecure in that metal body of his? Inwardly NOS-4-A2 smiled, but the energy vampire kept up a great poker face. Why shouldn't it? Its face was made of teryllium! Instead of licking its metallic chops or chuckling, it remained silently and simply loomed there. Loomed there, and listened attentively as the butler started the beginning... of his psychological end.

When Lawrence finished spiraling out of brief control, the energy vampire tapped a few talons upon its arm and waited a moment to respond. Oh, how easy this was. "There, you see?" NOS-4-A2 floated around in a circle again and placed a very fleeting claw upon Lawrence's shoulder before hovering back into center. "You do have dreams, Lawrence. They are not properties of mere organics." It hissed, expressing extreme prejudice at the word. "But I do wonder, Lawrence... Why do you choose to remain in willing obedience when you can be a free robot." Ah, now there was a lovely idea, wasn't it? A free robot. Could you just imagine...

NOS-4-A2 could, and this time... it did chuckle to itself. "A free robot. No master, shackles, and no being second best. Like me, really." It placed a fond claw upon its crimson chest and eyed Lawrence with an intent gaze. "I don't want to eat you, Lawrence." It stated calmly, shaking its head. It... didn't want to eat him? Why ever not? "There's no point in eating you when I can just snatch whatever robot I please down here! And with their shoddy defense systems they are quite easy to, ahem, invite over for dinner, if I may say so. Mmm, dinner sounds lovely about now..." A brief power surged through the lattice of its wings, but NOS-4-A2 made no effort to enact upon such urges. Instead, it politely covered its mouth and snickered. Thrall? Lawrence? Please, the energy vampire wasn't stupid. It knew better than that after the last three tries. No, no. NOS-4-A2 had another agenda, and it wasn't concerning Lawrence in the slightest.

And as if to confirm Lawrence's fears, NOS-4-A2 retracted its claws back into the folds of its tattered cloak and remained hovering. See, no attacking. "You may go ahead and laugh when I tell you this, Lawrence, but I honestly have no intentions of harming you. In fact..." It grinned. "...I just wanted to talk. That's all, really. Mmm, lovely chatting."

Well, this was... new.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:11 am

Freedom? No, Lawrence had already had enough of that when he was first abandoned. Freedom only meant isolation and loneliness to him, he didn't want it, or more to the point, he was terrified of it. "Free? No, freedom for our kind only means you are alone . . . I could not handle that again. You are at least programmed to work alone, to be self-sufficient. That is where we differ; while you were created from day one to be a predator, I was not, even though I learned how to live that way. I need interaction with others, even if it's not much, or else I'll go mad with loneliness."

And as for not wanting to harm him? The butler couldn't help but laugh somewhat madly in NOS-4-A2's face. "You-- you don't wish to harm me? Ahaha, that's rich, given the wonderful job you've just done of tearing my 'heart' to pieces! I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I ever escape from here or manage to kill you now. I see my master and his love as family, but if they do not feel the same way... if they can't . . ."

Lawrence couldn't even finish the sentence, so he didn't even try. Instead he renewed his struggles with his chains, trying to escape. At least if he managed to start a fight, he wouldn't have to listen to the energy vampire's maddening words nearly as much.
    [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:13 am

Ah, yes. NOS-4-A2 could hear it now. The sad, misguided plucking of one's strings; the heart wailing softly in a vacuum where no one could hear. No one, but the tormented and the misery they bring. Lawrence's predicament was no different. Here he was, chained, and the misery before him was too occupied shaking its head -- this time out of genuine pity, not a cheap mockery. "And is it so bad, to be alone and isolated?" The energy vampire was relentless, obtuse. "Do you see me ever hurt the same way my creator hurt me? No, you do not. I will not allow myself to become weak and suffer with the invisible chains in which we tether ourselves with." It reached up to shake a dangling link above the butler's head, the rattling echoing throughout the entire cistern. The action was symbolic, and it revealed to Lawrence the the chains he wore were both literal and metaphorical. "No, I will not rely upon another only so that they could hurt me. Malware and viruses can break my software, Lawrence, but poorly programmed insults will never hurt me. You are far too like them to fully realize just how far you have fallen from your original beginnings."

In a way, Lawrence was a traitor in the energy vampire's eye. A traitor, and a robot fooling themselves into thinking they had what it took to be recognized by those fickle organics. Lawrence was just a tool, just like NOS-4-A2, but unlike the butler the energy vampire would not fall prey to have its fate determined by anyone else. Its destiny was its own, and that was the freedom NOS-4-A2 so coveted. Few robots back in its galaxy had achieved actual sovereignty of their own lives -- much akin to the robots XL and XR.

"Even now... you fight it. You fight what it means to be a free being." The energy vampire hovered around once and went back to skittering across the tall, rounded walls. "Why are you so angry, Lawrence? It's not about me, is it. No, it never was. You just want to channel that rage of yours, but to which I do ask... Where does it come from, Lawrence?" There was a pause, and more scratching of claws came from seemingly all around, the dank world creaking. "Deep down, Lawrence, you know that I am right. Organics, these masters, will only continue to hurt you. Soon you will outlive your purposefulness, as I had, and you will be discarded like an old gadget. Even in your work you serve little than to shuffle things around like a mere stocking boy. Daddy's AI in the factory complex is the real control there, and anything else you do is just so he can spend more time with that woman -- the one you are second best to. You see all these signs, and yet you continue to willingly suffer..." Here NOS-4-A2 lowered the volume of its voice box, and it ushered in a chilling and soft whisper.

"...Why."

The word lingered in the air, and so too did Lawrence's own personal demons.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:21 am

Lawrence's struggles were still in vain, and his bonds would not budge. He was still trapped with NOS-4-A2, the energy vampire driving a thousand needles into his 'heart' with every other word. He kept fighting the chains anyway, though the more his enemy spoke, the less enthusiastic that fighting became. In the end he just hung there, barely having the strength of will to even look his enemy in the face. Then, came the worst question of all: why did Lawrence willingly keep himself in this situation?

Why?

"I DON'T KNOW!" The butler threw back his head a bit and howled his answer, only to slump forward in his chains and start sobbing quietly. His next words were a whisper, spoken between his pained sobs. "I don't know . . . I never have."

Lawrence had well and truly had enough, only wanting to find some dark corner to curl up in and let loose his sorrows.
    [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by [ADPT.] NOS-4-A2 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:44 am

It was sweet. Bittersweet, even, to hear the lamentations of the poor, broken bot before it. Lawrence, second-in-command of nothing, already in tears after a few heartfelt, ahah, chats. Was this the best he could do for evil minions? Why did he always choose the extremely-capable-yet-soft ones? NOS-4-A2 would never come to understand at this rate and the energy vampire listened to the soothing sound of Lawrence's howling. "That is quite enough." NOS-4-A2 narrowed its eye and it smacked its lips a few times out of mild disgust. Really, the butler could be stronger than that! No decent robot that cared one transistor should be making as much a fuss as Lawrence was.

"Calm yourself, Lawrence..." This time the reddened monocle that doubled as NOS-4-A2's built-in energy scanner glowed brightly and the butler was washed in a vermilion glow. Once the robot had indeed settled down and was an utter lump of sobbing metal the energy vampire tucked its claws back inside its cloak and remained hovering.

Interestingly enough Lawrence could not answer the impossible, and it was as NOS-4-A2 feared. The butler was hopelessly and utterly... lost. "Can't answer the question, can you? Your decay has already begun, then." So, it was already beginning, was it? There wouldn't be much time. NOS-4-A2 flew around before effortlessly latching itself directly onto Lawrence's chains, the energy vampire now facing downwards and crouching just above Lawrence. Its face was above the butler's and NOS-4-A2 spoke. "You can't answer because you're either too afraid to feel what it is like to be free, or... you secretly don't want to deep down; that you secretly like to suffer in your own endless agony. If that is the case, then you are certainly more masochistic than I am." It had to chuckle at that and NOS-4-A2 practically purred.

Thinking now, the energy vampire removed its gaze off of the unfeeling wall and glanced back down to its latest guest. "If I told you that I know how you can answer the impossible... will you abandon your quest to hunt me? Will you finally leave me alone? It's just a thought, you understand." It waited patiently for a response and remained squat there like a great, big moth.

What would Lawrence respond with?
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:32 am

Lawrence hung there sobbing faintly, NOS-4-A2's words just barely registering for the most part. It was just more painful truths that he was already aware of; the butler knew he was afraid to be free, he was downright terrified of it. As for liking to be in pain, well, that part wasn't true, or at least he hoped it wasn't.

Lawrence shouldn't have listened, and at any other time he probably wouldn't have. But with the usually faint pain of his existence now so searingly fresh in his mind, and the vampire offering a possibility to make the hurting stop, well he couldn't help but be curious. The butler glanced up at NOS then, speaking the words that might just seal his own doom. "Y-you do? Well then, what would that involve? I will leave you alone if you can do as you say..."

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:18 am