Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Want You Gone

Post by Lawrence on Tue May 03, 2011 8:16 pm

Lawrence watched Proxy leave, almost glaring as the other robot passed. There would probably be very strong words between them at some point, but not with Jo watching. He didn't wish to upset her, and Proxy probably didn't either, but it was only a matter of time before they confronted each other. Hopefully she would be out of earshot when it finally did happen.

However, with her creation gone for a while, it seemed Jo wanted to take advantage of the situation. Lawrence didn't want to talk, he really didn't, but when she stared at him expectantly with those big brown eyes of hers, his defenses just sort of crumbled. The butler looked slightly away from her, fidgeting a bit. "Have I done something wrong, Jo? Perhaps I've offended His Evilness in some way without realizing it? I am still dreadfully unfamiliar with his culture... is being healed by anything other than medical science against his beliefs?"

Lawrence fidgeted a little more, but managed to look Jo in the eye this time. "Why couldn't he have SIR tell me the real reason? If it were just repairs, I would have been there overseeing them." He paused for a moment, hating to sound so self-pitying, but the words slipped out anyway. "Has His Evilness ever really needed me, Jo?"
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Tue May 03, 2011 9:37 pm

Jo leaned against the counter, bracing her hands against the edges, before sitting up on it, her feet dangling. She tilted her head to the side as she listened, frowning a bit before eventually sighing once Lawrence was finished, crossing her arms.

She could understand why Lawrence was feeling so self-conscious, doubting himself, but he didn't have to feel that way. Zurg had the habit of pushing people away when he was feeling insecure. Of course, Lawrence probably didn't know that and maybe the robot was wondering why Jo was trying not to dwell on the matter too much given how close she and Zurg were.

"As far as I know, there's nothing in his culture about how you're healed." She swung her feet back and forth, her heels thumping against the edge occasionally. "For what it's worth, I think he's pushing us away because we're the closest to him. You know, to protect us." From himself, maybe, she added silently. "And don't talk like that, Lawrence! Of course he needs you! He wouldn't even have you around if he didn't need you."

She jumped off the counter and gripped Lawrence's shoulders, making eye contact with him and even going so far as to lift his chin up. "Don't ever think Big Z doesn't care. He doesn't like showing it, but he cares most of all. Alright?" She squeezed his shoulders again, hoping that she could get him to understand and feel a little better.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Tue May 03, 2011 10:28 pm

To be honest, the thought that Zurg was trying to protect them had crossed Lawrence's processors, but he dismissed it. They were dealing with an Evil Emperor, after all, and that seemed a more heroic and selfless action than what he might be capable of. Jo seemed so sure of it, though, and with how close she was to Zurg, there was a good chance she was right.

Jo gripping his shoulders snapped Lawrence out of his melancholy, and the physical contact helped reassure him almost more than the words did. He smiled faintly and nodded. "All right. If you're this certain about it, I'm sure trying to protect us is most likely reason why. Thank you, Jo; I truly needed that."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Tue May 03, 2011 10:49 pm

Sure, Jo was probably making Zurg sound more noble than he ever wanted to be considered, but she knew he had an honorable streak about him. Despite the obvious villainous streak too. The one that threatened you at gun point? Yeah, that. You didn't have to be close to him to see it either, but then again, most people couldn't read Zurg well. Even Jo had trouble reading him sometimes. She bet he couldn't even read himself at times!

"Good." She smiled, patting Lawrence's back. "Now, let's see about that check-up. I trust Big Z's forces to repair you two, but I wanna see for myself just how good they are. Let's work out those kinks you've got!"

She led him into the hallway, but turned into the first workshop area instead of leading him downstairs into the basement. This area had large windows and was more spacious, with three working areas as well as shelf after shelf holding any appliance you could imagine. Don't think microwaves and kitchen utensils. Think motherboards, cooling units and most anything you could find in a car, bike, cruiser or robot.

"I know I've got that oil around here somewhere..." Jo began to look around, peering inside barrels and the like. She looked over a workbench, almost disappearing behind it, her lower body in the air. "What else is ailing you besides joints?" she asked, voice muffled.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed May 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Lawrence followed Jo, this time into an area of the shop he hadn't seen yet. He looked around the room, noting the large windows that would've let in lots of natural light if the skies weren't still grayed over. He eyed the shelves full of parts briefly, managing to see a few bits and pieces that could serve as replacements for some of his own internal parts.

At Jo's question, Lawrence ran a self-diagnostic. After a few seconds the report came back showing not much of anything wrong other than the aforementioned stiff joints, and even that was more of a comfort issue than a real problem. He did have to wonder why he still felt sort of tired, though. His battery was fully charged, so that wasn't the cause. "Well, other than that, I still feel a bit drained from last night. I'm unsure if there's really anything to be done about that, though; my battery is reading 100 percent."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Thu May 05, 2011 5:01 am

"Drained?" Jo poked her head beneath the desk, upper body hanging upside down. "What, do something kinky last night~?" she teased. She knew he meant it differently, but hey, she'd go to any lengths to get him to grin again. But she soon righted herself, producing a small container with a nozzle. "Found the oil! Now I'll just fix those stiff joints for you."

Humming, she began to apply some oil on his elbows. "And no, this isn't a gas pump," she was quick to add. "It may look like one, but some robots on Tradeworld loved drinking out of these things. They had to survive somehow!"
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Thu May 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Lawrence blinked in confusion a bit before realizing Jo was just trying to lighten the mood some more. He managed a chuckle as he thought about it a bit more. "Well, if that fits your definition of 'kinky'..."

He held still as the mechanic applied some oil on his elbow joints, and sighed faintly in relief. "Ahh, that feels much better already." The mention of Tradeworld caught Lawrence's interest, and he found himself wanting to know more. "Tradeworld . . . that's where you are from, correct? From what I've heard, your universe wasn't the nicest place for sentient robots in general, and I take it Tradeworld was even more so?"
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Thu May 05, 2011 11:46 pm

"Oh, you so don't want to see my definition of kinky, my little metal friend..." The expression on Jo's face was priceless, but she wasn't about to let Lawrence see that one any time soon. Nope, not this time.

Pleased now that the butler's joints were well lubricated, the mechanic dusted her hands with a few slaps and felt, at long last, content. Ahhhh, the shop. Her place, her rules. No Hornets, no SIR, and especially no agitated Proxy lying around, ready to pounce. Her mood soured a bit, however, when Lawrence mentioned Tradeworld, her home. "Ah, Tradeworld. Right." Not one of her more delicate subjects at the moment.

With a sigh to herself Jo found a seat and plopped in it, not caring if it wasn't ladylike. Who cared. "Eh, you could say it was home, I guess." She shrugged, appearing aloof and rather disinterested. Oh, she had stories to tell him. Loads. "It was the best at times, and the worst of times, you feel me? Had the good and the bad." Guess who also had been browsing the local library, too? A Tale of Two Cities had a certain charm about it. "And I guess you could say that, Lawrence; that my galaxy didn't treat robots very well. They certainly weren't like you, that's for sure. You've seen the Hornets. Real lousy models. Junk. I don't even know why Big Z has them around except to be laser fodder. Who knows. I can't pick his brain like a Tangean."

Whoa, wrong tangent. She didn't want to think about him at the moment. Maybe later, before she went to sleep.

Dangling a leg over the other, Jo lounged back and stared upwards at the ceiling, appearing lost in her own thoughts. "Tradeworld, Tradeworld... They say home is where the heart is, but... it's not there. And it's not here. Kinda funny, this feeling. Portal Breach does that to you, I guess. Wouldn't you say, Lawrence? Portal Breach..." One of the biggest mysteries of the universe if she'd ever seen one.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Fri May 06, 2011 9:51 pm

Home is where the heart is? Oh, Lawrence certainly knew where Jo's heart was, right beside a certain Evil Emperor. Given the circumstances, he didn't put that thought into words. They both needed to keep their minds off of Zurg, at least for a little while.

He probably shouldn't have asked about Tradeworld, but since she was kind enough to tell him more, it was only fair that he spoke of his own universe. No place there had ever really felt like home to him, though. "I know exactly how you feel, Jo, though most of it is directed at my home galaxy. I was constructed in the Gadgetron factories on Kalebo III, though I wasn't there for long. The only reason I listed Kerwan as my homeworld was due to the fact I often ended up working in the capital city of Metropolis, though I wasn't always there. I've never really been in one place long enough to consider it 'home'."

Lawrence sighed a little as he realized something. "Perhaps that's why being sent away from the Factory bothers me so much... after all this time, I've finally found a place that could be home, only to be forced to leave. I'm sure after all this is over I will be allowed to return, but it still bothers me."

Last edited by Lawrence on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sat May 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Jo's feet swished back and as she stared at the ceiling, mulling over what Lawrence was saying. "I think home is more of a sense of self than a place. Like, the place you're most comfortable at. Doesn't have to be about a place or location at all." She did miss Tradeworld, sometimes, but if she had a choice...

But Lawrence was still down in the dumps, even though he was opening up a little, so Jo decided to give him a life lesson that had served her well. "Well, Lawrence, sometimes ya gotta take what you're served. Can't be helped." She sat up, stretching. "Life dishes out some bad ones to you, but you know how the expression goes. When life gives you bunzels, all you can do is make bunzel muffins." Maybe it was cold of her to be comparing her own misfortunes to bunzels, of all things, but if you didn't look at life with a sense of humor life would be pretty depressing.

Speaking of which, where the cosmos was Proxy with that burrito...?
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sun May 08, 2011 12:24 am

Lawrence listened intently to Jo's words and tried to take them to heart, but doing that was difficult at best. There was a ring of truth there, though, especially to the 'home is a feeling' statement. He got himself to accept that part at least. "Yes, you're probably right. I do feel quite comfortable at the Factory, but even more so when I am with you and His Evilness, no matter where we might be. We don't even have to be doing anything important, it could just be the three of us lazing about the Sanctuary and I would be happy." He paused for a moment, shaking his head. "I really should stop mentioning him, he's probably the last thing you want to hear about right now...

As for accepting what was given to him by the universe, that was a little harder, especially when sometimes it still felt like there was something he could do about it. For Jo, Lawrence would try, though. "I'm not sure I can promise anything, but as I've said I'll try to make the most of things. Staying with you for a while should be interesting at the very least."
    [INACT.] Zeb Brooks
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 1

Post by [INACT.] Zeb Brooks on Sun May 08, 2011 12:33 am

Zeb returned from his lunch break, wiping the grease of a burger off his hands and onto his already stained pants as he walked inside the shop. Looking up, he noticed a robot and Miss Jo. Not exactly what he had been expecting! "Hey, Miss Jo. Hello, Lawrence" He ran a hand through his shaggier than usual hair, trying to make it more presentable in front of the customer. Not like it would help, he looked a bit messy with oil stained clothes, stained hands and a stubbly face. Never killed to try.

He leaned against a wall, waiting to be told if he was needed or wanted, or if he should just get back to working on things.

((Can't remember if he's met Lawrence...gunna go with he has, though.))
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sun May 08, 2011 1:04 am

"See?" She gave Lawrence's arm a light punch. "It's not the place that matters, but the people."

And as for Lawrence mentioning Zurg, as much as Jo felt uncomfortable hearing about the subject and recalling recent events that were still fresh in her mind, the mechanic simply waved a lazy arm. "I'll get over it. I'm alright. It's Big Z I'm worried about. But... I know that whatever he's up to, he's doing the right thing." That was all Jo really had to go by and hope for. Hope... such a fickle thing was hope. She was too jaded to put much stock in hope.

"Hey there, Zeb!" Jo got up to greet her fellow mechanic. "Sorry about the unexpected little leave. We had an unscheduled trip to another dimension. Long story. I'm sure glad I've got someone to count on like you to keep the shop working when I go AWOL!" She wrapped an arm around his shoulders and messed his hair up. It looked better messy. "No need to care about appearances with Lawrence! He's family. And I take it you two already know each other, so I'll leave out the introductions. Lawrence is gonna stay with us for a few days. Maybe we could show him the ropes around the place, hmm? What do you think, Zeb?"

And just like that, Jo skipped back to her seat and plopped into it again, looking from one to the other with a great big smile on her face while trying to mask her hunger. Craters, Proxy, that had better be an amazing burrito you're taking this long to get!
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sun May 08, 2011 2:06 am

Thankfully, the subject change Lawrence had been wanting arrived in the form of Zeb returning from his lunch break. He allowed Zeb and Jo to finish speaking, as was only polite, before bowing slightly to the older mechanic. "Yes, we have met. And that's an excellent idea, Jo. Regardless of my appearance, I am quite skilled at mechanical repair . . . I could be very useful around here indeed."

And really, aside from companionship that was all he needed, a chance to serve and to be useful. Being able to work during all of this would make things a lot easier to bear. The butler glanced to Jo expectantly, hoping she would allow him to help.
    [INACT.] Zeb Brooks
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 1

Post by [INACT.] Zeb Brooks on Sun May 08, 2011 12:01 pm

Another dimension? Zeb blinked a few times, but didn't acquire any further. This place seemed more and more like a strange sci-fi film on some days. "That was actually something I wanted to discuss, but given the current circumstances, I think it can wait." he glanced towards the door. Yeah, it was best he stayed in the city for now.

Back to the current topic of discussion, he gave Lawrence a quick look over before nodding. "That would be fine, is there anything you'd like to see first, Lawrence?" He shoved his hands in his pockets, waiting quite patiently for an answer from the robot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:11 am