Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Defeat is Not in Their Programming

Post by Zurg on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Time: 11:56pm
    Date: 3/25/11

"This way. Quickly. Quickly!" An irritated voice growled.

It was now beyond dark, the only source of lighting coming from the street lights and the world of Portal Breach was deathly silent. Not even a traveling vagrant or wayward immigrant kept to the sidewalks at the late hour. People were either fast asleep or too busy with their own personal lives, mired in their problems or worries. And his was one of them.

There came movement within the Business District, the sounds of marching feet and mechanized joints groaning. Who could make such an awful racket at this time of day before the eve of midnight? A certain mechanic was going to find out as a horned shadow cascaded over the door to Jo's chop shop, a heavy fist pounding boldly upon the frame.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

The noise was enough to startle a random alley cat but the world otherwise paid no attention. Was anyone even inside the shop at this hour? It remained to be seen...

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    [INACT.] P|20XY
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 1

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)

Re: Defeat is Not in Their Programming

Post by [INACT.] P|20XY on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:02 pm

What was that awful racket? And at this late hour?

Proxy finished cleaning and set the broom aside as he lumbered to the door, standing up on his back legs to spy through the peephole. Oh, it was him. And he brought company. Lots of company. Great. It wasn't like the robot could simply keep someone as important as the Evil Emperor out so Proxy unlatched the multiple locks and cautiously swung the door back.

"Can I help you at this very late and inconsiderate hour, Zurg-Emperor?" What did that man want this time.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:54 am

Finally.

Zurg shoved his way in, pushing Proxy aside and growled angrily to his Hornets. "Bring him in, quickly! Move it, you worthless piles of wires!" What was he snarling at during this time of night!? Whatever it was it was carried on a hovering dolly and covered in a white cloth, patches of fluids pooled around its features. Ick, looked like some kind of operating table with a dead body on board. What was it?

Proxy would find out later but for now, once the final Hornet entered, he gestured at it snappily to close the door. "Shut the door, shut the door!" He hissed. Turning to Proxy and perhaps noticing him for the first time during all this the Evil Emperor narrowed his glowing eyes and scowled.

"Where is Jo. I need her here at once!" He demanded.

Uh-oh.

[INACT.] P|20XY
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)

Post by [INACT.] P|20XY on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Well, look who was in a hurry. Disgruntled, Proxy waited to see what it was that his mindless, droning robots brought in. It seemed to be some sort of body, covered by a sheet. What was going on?

"Zurg-Emperor, what is the meaning of this?" Proxy demanded. If he was somehow involving Jo in his dirty business, then the robot would have none of it. "I'm not calling Creator-Josephine until I know what's going on."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:53 pm

For once the Evil Emperor didn't want to hear anything more and Zurg snarled at the questioning robot. "Don't question me!" He snapped, eyes glowing once more. With another hasty gesture he directed the Hornets to carry the stretcher around and away, over towards a bare table before whipping his horned head back at the indignant robot. "This is a matter of life and death, so are you going to get Jo in here or not!?"

The man didn't have time to play games! The clock was ticking!

[INACT.] P|20XY
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)

Post by [INACT.] P|20XY on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:59 pm

Proxy glared at Zurg, his single optic winking red for a moment s if mirroring Zurg's own glowing eyes, but he finally looked away, though he was seething underneath the calm and emotionless facade.

"Fine," he snapped. "I will call her, though it might take a while as she has probably gone to bed."

Not wanting to hear another word and resolving to tell Jo of his disapproval afterwards, he closed his optic and sparked for a moment when he touched the phone, tapping into an electrical current to contact Jo.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:02 pm

That's better. Zurg didn't waste another minute with the bumbling machine and he shoved his Hornets aside. "What are you fools standing at!? Get him on the table!" The Evil Emperor pushed one forward and pointed a cruel finger to the surface in question.

"NOW!"

Zurg is in your thread, breaking your 100 word posting count like a boss.

[INACT.] P|20XY
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)

Post by [INACT.] P|20XY on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:09 pm

It was not long before Proxy came into contact with Jo. She answered the call with a yawn and a hoarse "Hello?" probably rubbing her eyes on the other end of the line. It wasn't that late, but she had said earlier that day that she had wanted to go to bed early.

"it is I, Creator-Josephine. Zurg-Emperor is at the shop and requests your presence. It seems to be urgent. A matter of 'life and death', as he said." He sniffed disdainfully, a little bitter that he had not gotten the chance to scan whatever was under the sheet. He knew Jo would be displeased with him if he scanned Zurg or his things.

"What?" she demanded, startled. Her voice sounded very awake then. "I'll be right there! Don't go anywhere!" And without waiting for Proxy to reply, she hung up.

Proxy sniffed, then turned back to Zurg. "She's on her way," he reported sullenly.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:24 pm

Surprisingly, it only took Jo ten minutes to get there. She suddenly burst through the front door without warning, flushed and breathless. Her hair was a tousled mess and her bootlaces loose and undone after just shoving them on her bare feet. She hadn't even changed out of her pajamas.

"I'm here!" she wheezed, looking around her. She saw Proxy fuming in one corner, and Zurg there, with his Hornets. They seeemed to be standing in front of something white, but they were standing in the way and she couldn't make out what it was. "What's going on?"
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:34 pm

That had got to be the fastest time Jo had ever arrived to anything, but now was not the time to compare! Zurg was hot on Jo's heels and the man shoved her in a cartoon fashion, forcing the mechanic towards the table with the covered mound. "No time to explain, woman!" The urgency in his voice was golden, and clearly genuine. When was the last time he called Jo woman? Thank you. Once Jo got close enough he left her side and shoved those addle-brained Hornets aside with a gruff elbowing. It was a good thing Proxy wasn't around for surely the Evil Emperor would have shoved his impressively deceptive weight!

"I need your help, Jo, you're my only hope! Look at this!" And that was no moonspeak.

Whish!

Zurg tore the cover off and BEHOLD, it was none other than the shutdown, lifeless body of the robot butler, Lawrence. All but his right arm was missing, the rest of his torn, crushed limbs held separately in a Hornet's hands, and the Evil Emperor pointed dramatically at the rent butler. "Lawrence is a mess! I can't have my best minion beaten to shreds like carnita meat!" That was Spanish for shredded pig, ladies. Zurg learned that very well from Los Portales. But back to the matter at hand! Lawrence, for the most part, seemed intact save for his limbs but no one could mistake all the battle damage he had received. It was clear that he had been in some kind of skirmish and after how long he promised to stay out of trouble? Yeah, dead butler was a dead butler once Jo got a good grip with reality. The Evil Emperor crossed his arms and shook his head. "You can rebuild him -- you have the technology! You did it before and you can do it again! I'll pay whatever it takes but fix my robot!"

And hopefully before Lawrence's cold body leaked to death. All that servo fluid was making a mess!

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:53 pm

Jo was pushed forwards and nearly did a double-take at being called that, but didn't get a chance to say anything else before Zurg ripped off the sheet. Jo's inarticulate scream of terror and shock was enough to indicate her distress at seeing Lawrence--oh, dear Lawrence!--in such a state.

After getting over her initial shock, she leaned in close and tried to take in how extensive the damage was. Could she repair him? Was it even possible? Or was Lawrence beyond any hope?

"I.... I don't know if I can!" She bit on her lower lip, wringing her hands together. Craters, even if repairing him would be impossible she would try her best and make the impossible possible. Or else she wasn't Jo Pistonne! "But I'll do everything I can to repair him!" She only hoped that his memory core hadn't been affected.

Oh, Lawrence, you promised not to get into any more fights....!
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:18 pm

Lawrence was lying there on the hover-dolly, his optics closed and looking for all the world to be dead. The plating that NOS-4-A2 had ripped from his right shoulder was still gone, a faint set of bite marks there. His left shoulder bore another bite from the energy sucker, the drill bits that served as NOS's fangs having torn a ragged set of gashes in the metal.

The socket where his left arm would've been was the only clean amputation, as the butler had detached that limb himself. Both of his leg sockets were another matter entirely, with ragged relays and sensor arrays hanging out, and fluid slowly leaking from what remained of his servos. Not even his right arm had been spared from damage, as it seemed to be badly dented and pulled out of place as well even if it was still attached.

Lawrence's chest was partially pried open, claw marks all over it. There was an utterly shredded coolant line in there somewhere, and coolant was leaking from this particular wound. His Quantum Actuator had escaped damage somehow and still had a faint inner light, though.

It certainly looked like the worst had come to pass for the poor butler, but if Jo checked carefully, she would find his battery still had a small charge remaining. Likewise, the most important parts of him, the chips, processors, and storage that held his mind, had escaped damage as they were easily the most heavily shielded things in there. There was hope indeed, but only if the mechanic also saw that hope.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:26 pm

With a ravaged body like that the Evil Emperor only had one thing to say. "....Ew." The man slightly turned his face away in unsure disgust and held up a pinkie to his teeth before glancing at the mechanic. She was probably having a miniature seizure just looking at the poor butler. He should really cheer her up. "Well, think of it this way, Jo." Now, mind you, the tyrant wasn't one to look to for rainbows and butterflies to bear with him here. The man was doing his best! With a smile he patted the mechanic on the back and fondly placed a hand upon her shoulder a second after. "At least he's still alive! Somehow. Maybe. Well, I guess if you could call that being alive. Where was I going with this? It doesn't matter!" He suddenly barked with a scowl. "The moment is lost and I need my robot back online! How soon can you do it." Schedules!

A little insensitive much? But if Jo knew better, this was just Zurg trying to cope. Deep down the man was secretly disturbed, but would he say? Of course not! He was the Big Bad; they don't discuss their latest thoughts and insecurities. That, and of course he was partially responsible for Lawrence's state. Who sent him off on a suicide mission after all? Jo didn't need to know that, and that was something on a need-to-know basis! Privy information and whatnot.

But knowing Proxy, that little nosy cretin was going to somehow grasp one of Zurg's vitals and give it a good, long, hard twist. It was due.

[INACT.] P|20XY
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)

Post by [INACT.] P|20XY on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:38 am

Proxy was actually stunned to see Lawrence in such a state of disrepair. He almost regretted being so rude to Zurg before. Almost. It was worth being a nuisance to the Evil Emperor, but now was not the time to gloat. Now was the time for action.

Jo spread her hands. "Definitely gonna take all night. Maybe well into the morning too." And to think that her physical weariness was suddenly catching up with her again. She felt exhausted, disoriented. How would she be able to concentrate and keep herself from falling asleep before she was finished with Lawrence's repairs? Oh, the blasted butler! When she finished repairing him, there would be words.

"Proxy, could you scan him a second? I need to know just how extensive the damage is."

Nodding, Proxy left his corner and approached them, trying not to let Lawrence's state affect him. His single eye winked and the blue light flickered over Lawrence's body, scanning it. "Overall damage 73.6%. There is a coolant leek, loss of sensors and extensive damage in the remaining limb and torn sockets. Memory chips and processors are still intact. His internal battery still has a small charge remaining and the Quantum Actuator is also intact."

Jo snorted, laughing nervously. "Not much, huh?"

Proxy blinked in confusion for a moment, but let it slide. "I will prepare the machines downstairs and help however I can."

"Please do that, Proxy. I'll go get my tools. I think I left them in the other room. And transport Lawrence downstairs, where he can be closest to my machines and we can get him repaired even faster."

Jo touched Zurg's hand for a moment and squeezed it, understanding everything that had been unsaid. She then disappeared into the hallway, already calculating just what needed repairing and how long it would take. She wasn't sure whether she had all the resources on hand, but she knew that Zurg would be able to get her anything she needed.

Proxy turned back to Zurg for a moment. "You had something to do with this. I know it." Proxy wouldn't be fooled for a second. "Once he is intact, you will have some explaining to do." And then he too disappeared down the hallway and down the stairs to prepare the machines to produce Lawrence's new limbs. It would take some time, but it was a necessary evil.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:55 am

And of course, Proxy did know who had been behind it all and the Evil Emperor became distant, eyes emotionless. "Of course I had something to do with it." He mumbled as the robot left, eyes trailing him. "I had everything to do with it."

Not bothering to explain the overlord cast a look at the still Lawrence and clenched his hands; if ever so briefly. It wasn't often he had made erroneous decisions like this, and this one had cost him dearly. Or almost dearly. Resources and money could be replenished, a good minion could not. How could Lawrence have lost to the energy vampire? It was slighted so that he wouldn't! Was NOS-4-A2 stronger than the Evil Emperor last recalled? Had he made a calculation error and foolhardily endangered his best and brightest minion to date?

It was a moment of both musing and fuming, the Evil Emperor relenting and having himself a seat out in the main lobby of the shop. "Whatever you say, my keeper, whatever you say." There was a hollowed, despondent tone to those words and Zurg thought nothing more of anything. He merely withdrew his latest holo-paper and snapped it on, reading the front page and cooling it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:46 pm