Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Is there a mechanic in the house?

Post by Lawrence on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:12 am

Lawrence was a bit confused by Jo's gesture, he didn't have any hair that needed to be brushed out of his optics, after all. The thought that she wanted to comfort him got through regardless, and that was what allowed him to calmly slip into shutdown where otherwise he may have resisted. A faint sigh of relief escaped him as awareness faded, and after that, everything went dark.

---

Outside, roughly five hours had passed, but to Lawrence it initially seemed like no time had gone by at all. His Quantum Actuator quickly corrected this, though the feeling of lost time only bothered him briefly. His optics came online almost immediately after Jo powered him back up, his vision clear of static, and perhaps a bit sharper than he remembered. It took him a little while to reply to her, though; his OS needed to take note of all the repairs and reconfiguration, and he couldn't move or speak until that finished. Once it did, the butler blinked a few times, then sat up and stretched a bit. He felt a little stiff as quite a few of his parts had been replaced, but otherwise he felt a hundred percent better than he had earlier.

Lawrence's optics focused on Jo, his smile positively beaming. It wasn't a smirk, or a faint wisp of a smile either, this one was well and truly genuine. That happiness could also be heard in his voice, which was back to normal and free of static, his usual softly accented tone sounding loud and clear. Yes, the mechanic had been corny, but the butler couldn't help but go with the moment. "It's quite a revival indeed. The repairs were a complete success, I feel like myself again . . . I thank you so very much for this, Jo."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:52 am

He was smiling. That was a really good sign. And it looked like everything seemed to be in working order too. Jo had really outdone herself this time. Imagine if some of the things she'd needed to fix him up had been unavailable. It would have taken much longer and she might have had to break her promise about leaving his side. Orders didn't come overnight, you know.

But now that he was in perfect working order, Jo could do what she should have done from the start. "You're welcome Lawrence.~!"

And then she cuffed the back of his head with a wrench.

"Now what the galaxy do you think you were doing, facing Iblis like that!? You know that she and Prix are huge killing machines! Haven't you seen how Zippy comes out of their fights? She comes out with how many scars! You're lucky your scars and wounds can be patched up if they're not too extensive!"

She paused to take a deep breath and stopped pointing the wrench at him. Then she put it away and gave him a one-armed hug. "Don't worry me like that again! Cosmos.... you're worse than Proxy!"
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:04 pm

Lawrence flinched at the wrench whack, but before he could even yelp in protest, Jo started with her angry scolding. The robot was nearly cringing through most of that, and he expected her to go storming off afterward. The hug was completely out of left field, so were her words as she held him. He was a bit too shocked to do anything other than return her embrace as best he could, wrapping his right arm around her midsection.

He enjoyed the closeness for a few moments, then began to speak, hoping to explain himself. "You have my deepest apologies, Jo, you truly do. However, the duel wasn't about fighting just for the sake of it..." The butler's optics drifted shut as he trailed off, unpleasant memories flitting through his processor.

"Did you know I entered the Oni Island tournament shortly after my arrival here? I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't, I lost to Sygnus in the first round. You do know about the raid; the only reason I survived that was due to the Evil Emperor's intervention. I was overjoyed that he hired me on the spot, and that was a distraction for a while, but the damage had been done. I began to doubt my abilities, to the point where I wondered whether I was worthy to be His Evilness's minion, and any sort of conflict in the Sanctuary made me jumpy. Prixlezub and Iblis made things worse with their stalking. It was Iblis frightening me enough to crash that finally made my self-doubt more than I was willing to endure."

Lawrence pulled away from Jo a little, just enough that he could look her in the eye. "Have you ever had one of those moments, one where you finally stood up and thought 'Enough is enough, I'm tired of feeling this way'? That was why I challenged Iblis, to prove my worth to both myself and the rest of this world. I do realize I could have lost, but as I said hours ago, it had to be done."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:45 pm

(( Sorry it took me so long to reply! I was stumped.... and it turns out to be so small! DX ))

Jo nodded in understanding, though she did sigh in frustration. Lawrence had wanted to prove himself in battle; he felt that he was becoming useless, a liability, in his own inability to come to terms with the tasks he had to face. It was exactly what Proxy was doing now; trying to find his own path, his own independence, because of the losses he had sustained and his need and want to become stronger.

She looked him back in the eye, chewing on her lower lip. "Yeah," she said, her voice more hoarse than she imagined it would be. "Yeah, I've felt like that before." She gripped Lawrence's arms and gave him a reassuring squeeze. "Just promise me to be more careful next time, alright? You've got people who care for you and wouldn't want to see you get hurt."
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Jo obviously still didn't like it, but at least she understood, that was really all Lawrence could ask. He hadn't wanted to upset her, though, which was why his next words came so easily. For anyone else apart from Zurg, he doubted he could make this promise. "I'm in a dangerous line of work, Jo. However, I promise to try to be more careful. I know I rushed into that duel a bit too soon, I won't make the same mistake again."

Having said that, the butler tried to change the subject back to his repairs. "Now then, I do feel much better, but I suppose you'll want me to test things out before I leave. Do you need another scan, or would watching me move around suffice?"
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Oh, that Lawrence. Sometimes Jo just wanted to keep him safe and sound, but he was right. He worked for 'His Evilness' and that man demanded only the most loyal. Then how come the Evil Emperor had hired Warp Darkmatter? Jo had a point in this! "What's up with you boys and dangerous work..." She sighed, walking over to a beaten control box. "You make all the women worry and weep for you to return home in one piece!" She was being dramatic, of course, perhaps having learned one too many lessons from the Emperor of Soap Operas himself. Speaking of which, a new episode was one tonight....

"I don't think a scan will be necessary, but let's make sure your optics work." Jo stated over her shoulder before going back to the box, flipping a few switches. Suddenly the lighting dimmed and flickered as something extended downwards. What was that? It looked like a piece of railing with crudely fastened light fixtures. There were about five and each winked slightly as their soft, white light illuminated the room. "Okay, this is a diagnostics test. I'd like for you to look at each one and tell me how you feel zooming in and out at each fixture. Each time you do it correctly it will turn green. Ready, Lawrence? Why don't you start with the one at the upper-right corner and work your way around, ending with the center."

This oddly felt like a video game where the main character fixed their camera angle...
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:40 am

Yes, it looked a little crude, but the testing device seemed functional enough, so Lawrence had nothing to really complain about. "All right, I'm trying the first one now."

With that, the butler focused his optics on the first light in the upper right corner. He did as Jo told him, zooming in and back out on his target. His optics seemed to be functional for this first test, but something about the focusing speed seemed off somehow. The light turned green, though, and Lawrence blinked a bit in confusion. "You altered my reaction times a bit, didn't you?"

Next, he looked to the next light in the sequence, the one immediately below the first one. Again, Lawrence zoomed his optics in and out, this time getting a handle on what was so different. This light turned green as well, and the butler smiled a bit. "Oh, I understand now; you recalibrated my relay system. It will take me a few tries to get used to, but that's something I was meaning to have done back in my home universe. Not only should this help with targeting and such, this should make my movements a bit less disconcerting to those who aren't fond of robots."

Now that he was aware of the alteration, Lawrence made use of it. He did the test on the remaining three lights in record time, smirking slightly when he finished. "Well, I think my optics are in working order. Would you like me to test anything else?"
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Jo couldn't help but conceal her smirk from Lawrence, feigning innocence. "Maaaaaybe~! Okay, so I did." The mechanic shrugged with a now apparent smile. "I noticed a brief lag in some tested reaction times so I tweaked it up a bit. I figured a sharpshooter like you needs all the precision he can get!" And to hopefully avoid more damage whenever the robot butler got into a fight! Jo would just hate to see him hurt again.

Once Lawrence had finished the sight test Jo flipped another switch and the testing stand retracted back into the ceiling. "Nope, I think you're se--Oh! Yes, there is one more thing I'd like for you to try out." She then walked to the farthest side of the room and waved. "When you're ready, try walking to me. Get a feel for the new servos in your legs to make sure the tension and release is to your liking!" Hopefully he would get out the stiffness and find his mobility much more satisfactory now that his joints had been replaced.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:35 pm

Now this was the part Lawrence hadn't exactly been looking forward to. Yes, his legs had been fully repaired, with his right leg replaced entirely, but it was kind of hard to forget how damaged they were. He slowly slid off the worktable, bracing himself against it as he tried to put weight on his legs. When they didn't immediately collapse underneath him, he managed to relax a bit.

After taking a moment to make sure all the relays and such were working, it was finally the moment of truth. Lawrence let go of the worktable and cautiously took his first step forward. Sure enough, Jo had been quite thorough with her repairs, and the robot butler's legs held him up easily. Now feeling more confident, he started to walk towards the mechanic as she asked. It took him a few steps to feel entirely used to the new servos, and once he did they actually felt more comfortable than the old ones.

Lawrence crossed the room with ease and was soon standing before Jo, smiling a bit as he spoke. "Well, it seems those are as good as new, if not slightly better. They're adjusted perfectly right now, I wouldn't want the tension any higher or lower."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:08 pm

"Perfect!" Jo clapped, pleased that the robot had encountered no problems with walking. She had really outdone herself this time. But then again, it was only the best for Lawrence. She followed the same procedure with all her customers. She wouldn't feel right if she tried to cut corners, or repaired things shoddily. Some mechanics did that, but that wouldn't do for Jo. It wasn't the Pistonne way!

"Well, Lawrence! I'm glad you like it!" She slapped his back, then looped her arm around his shoulders. "But if I see you in another match again and all my hard work repairing you gone to waste, you won't have to worry about your opponent turning you into scrap!" she mock-threatened. Not that she ever expected him to come back to her all mangled up, but a fair warning never hurt anyone.

She began to climb up the stairs. "I'll have to round up the price for your repairs, but you don't need to worry about a thing. Big Z pays you, so Big Z'll have to pay~!" The way she said it sounded like there was more at stake than just money and she chuckled to herself, rubbing her hands together.

"Anything else I should know about?" She turned to face Lawrence in the hallway. "You're feeling alright, aren't you?" She wouldn't want anything she had repaired to be more of a hindrance than a help! That would make repairing him a rather shoddy excuse!
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:33 pm

Lawrence looked a touch uneasy at Jo's mock threat, knowing very well that the Evil Emperor could have him doing some rather dangerous things, but he allowed her to lead him upstairs anyway.

When she asked if he was feeling all right, he nodded. "Yes, as stated before, I feel much better now. If anything happens I'll come back here right away, but I'm fairly sure I would know it now if anything felt off. Thank you again for repairing me, Jo; I'll see you later."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:33 am

"Alright, agreed." Grinning suddenly, she gave the robot a punch in the arm. "See you later, Lawrence! And try not to get into too much trouble next time." She gave him a noogie, then winked.

"Now on your way before a particular Evil Emperor starts looking for you... what'll I tell him if he finds out I've been taking up all your time, huh?" She slapped his rump and laughed, pushing him forwards gently. "See you tomorrow!"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 am