Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Let's See This Freak Show Staff....

Post by Zurg on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:40 pm

And Jo would find that her journey into Planet Z's bowels was rather safe and uneventful. Not a deranged minion in sight, no rampant crazed experiments running about, and there weren't any overzealous robots out to zap her with their pikes. If anything, it was just a still, calm walk about the complex with only the soft humming of nearby machinery echoing throughout the level.

Upon entering, the mechanic would have noticed the big, bold lettering above her head as she passed the doors: ENGINEERING. Inside, she would find nothing but madness.

"Get those coils running!" Someone barked harshly. "We can't wait all day to funnel power into Sectors 3, 6, and 8! Move it, move it!"

The entire grid, as the chamber was called, was filled with massive transformers and consoles. Wires sparked overhead as power surged with a sudden ZAP! and the air was filled with prickly, unseen energy and static. No doubt Jo's hair would be sticking up on end and her skin feeling warm, her ears slightly buzzing. All around there were grubs in thick gear with tools around their waists and a few brain pods with goggles and antenna feeds rolled about this way and that.

The place was apparently running like a combat control center, with one braid pod in charge.

"Team Three!" It whacked an instrument upon its station. "There's a new malfunction down in Sector 7. Go down there and find out what's wrong."

A batch of stern-looking grubs in professional gear marched up and saluted. "We're on it. Estimated time is an hour."

The brain pod watched them be off and it brought its capsule down to spy Jo. Hmm? Who was this? A human? And a human girl? It quickly checked over its notes, scanning its eyes left and right. Huh, newcomer. Guest? That can't be right. Since when were humans allowed on Planet Z and given access to roam around? Fishy. Very.

"You. Girl." It rolled out of its station and approached her, a few grubs peering over their work to observe. "What's your function and number." It asked. The number on the back of the pod read 41.

((I'mma gain some moss!))

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:19 pm

The second Jo entered, it was like she had just walked into the middle of a traffic jam on Tradeworld after taking a turn from a small sidewalk. It was crazy in here! Steam hissed from trembling valves and the heat was like a blanket of pressure on her, loud sounds educed to low, but incessant hums.

A group of minions ran out, and the brain pod that looked like it was in charge focused its beady little eyes on her. "Who, me?" Jo looked around to make sure he was really talking to her. "I'm a mechanic and my name's Jo. I don't have a number; I'm me."

(( Moss to floss? XD ))
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:23 pm

No number and a real name? Oh, this was going well already.

"A mechanic? You? Hah, don't make me laugh." The brain pod shrugged as it threw a cable-like arm her way. "Humans aren't good at hard, intensive labour; don't get us started." Fellow grubs and brain pods nodded in silent agreement. "If they were, His Evilness would have kidnapped them and turned them into a suitable slave force. Why are you really here." It demanded, rolling closer.

Jo was just going to have to play a little hard ball with this one.

((No, more like moss to put in my salads. Mm.))

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Jo put her hands on her hips. "I'll have you know, Mr. Smarty Wheels, that I've been a mechanic for most of my life. I think I can tell the difference between pliers and pincers." A weak argument, but an argument nonetheless. If this pod needed more convincing she could prove she knew her stuff.

"I'm Jo and Zu--the Evil Emperor--invited me to Planet Z. He said I could explore the place a bit so here I am." It figured that she would have to step on a few toes--or wheels, in this case--until things had been cleared up with this one.

"What's your name--er, number." She asked, trying to spot the number on his chassis.

(( Delicious moss and fungi are delicious. ))
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:37 pm

Huh, this one had a real tongue on her. 41 liked.

"Invited, huh?" The brain pod didn't necessarily believe the story, but not like it cared anyway. So there was a human girl -- and a girl that boasted about knowing her stuff. Okay. 41 was going to see to that. "The name's 41, and I don't have time to chit-chat. You want to explore the place? Fine." It rolled away and typed something into a nearby console before winding its neck to spy her again.

"Make yourself useful and report to Sector 7. There's just been a malfunction in one of the air filtration units. Here, I'll let you through."

There was a deep click further down the chamber and a door slid upon, showcasing a dark and ominous corridor to follow down. "Go down the hall and take three lefts, then a right. A grub unit just went down that way so if you see them you're going the right way. And if you get lost, well." It shrugged.

"Not my moozle. Now get going. I don't got all day to let loiterers lounge around. Bad for business."

((Mmm, bleu cheese...))

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:02 pm

Air filtration? That shouldn't be too hard. But Jo wouldn't start getting cocky now. She made sure she had all her tools on her belt and nodded. "Alright, 41. I'll be on my way. I'll come back when the problem's been taken care of." With one last nod, she went through the doors.

The hallway was dark and Jo could barely see down it, but she made her way through it carefully by patting the wall beside her with one hand. When she'd reach gaps in the hallway, she'd turn left. She did this three times, just like 41 had instructed, then took a right for the last turn. She found it hard to see, but she didn't have anything on hand to see in the dark with--oh wait, she did!

She pulled out one of her tools out--the tools that Zurg had made her for her birthday--and switched one on. Her wrench began to emit a faint blue glow. It was just enough to see herself in the dark, but she walked on with it down the last hallway. Soon, she would find the grubs and the air filtration units. At least that was the plan.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:19 pm

When Jo left the grubs and 41 eyed each other. They all had the same thing on their mind. "She's a goner."

But Jo would prove them wrong, fortunately, as she found the previous engineering group without incident and while being clever. Not so hopeless, was she!? Hearing her approach from several meters away, the grubs shuffled to face her and winced at the glowing object in her hand.

"Turn that down." One grumbled, eyes barely peeking through their lids.

"Yeah, we don't want to alert whatever's down here." Another suggested.

When Jo would lower her makeshift light, she would realize that the grubs had found the downed air filtration unit. And the trouble that came with it. The entire thing was absolutely gutted. Completely and totally trashed. There were claw marks slashed clear across it and whatever it was that had caused this destruction had burrowed through the machine and tunneled directly into the ventilation system.

In short, the thing was still loose and the grubs had just been deciding what to do about the situation.

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:04 am

"Oh, right." She was about to switch the light off, but then she realized what they'd said. "There's something down here?" Was it a loose experiment like Zurg had told her to be wary of?

She raised the wrench and the glow was enough to allow her to see the gutted air filtration unit. It had large claw marks on it; whatever had trashed it had been big. And it was probably still nearby. She lowered her arm to hide the glow.

"What was big enough to do something like that?" she asked in a low whisper. Did they even know what to do? "What's the plan?"
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:07 am

"As if we know." The grubs shrugged. They hadn't the foggiest idea what had done this. They were only engineering grubs, for crying out loud! A brain pod from the science team would have a better idea.

The insectoid peons huddled closer to each other, a defensive position, and shivered. "We kinda just figured we'd... radio in for help." Hey, it sounded like a decent, safe plan. And it had the lowest death rate, too.

"U-Unless you have a better idea." One stated, the rest looking upward at Jo as if for sage advice.

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:13 am

"And if you did, who'd come down here and how long would it take?" she inquired almost dryly, trying to form a plan.

Crawl in after whatever had gotten in there, go get help, or maybe message Zurg on her PDA for a suggestion. But then again she didn't want to be a bother all the time. He probably had a lot of work to do.

Depending on whatever the grubs said, she'd react accordingly.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:33 am

"Well... she's got a point..." The grubs convened privately and whispered amongst themselves, murmuring. And it would be some time before any of them would speak again. In the meanwhile, however, something rattled noisily above and the grubs became deathly still. Their antennas twitched nervously, swiveling like little radar towers and they functioned as one, intense.

Silence, and then....

Grrrrrrrr....

They were not alone down here.

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:41 am

Jo chewed on her lower lip, but did the one thing she could think of. She grabbed the blaster at her hip and pulled it out. She drew a deep breath. She hoped she could recall those blaster lessons they'd had way back when she'd been training for Gamma-O.

"Stay here for ten minutes. If I'm not back by then, call for someone."

She killed her tool's light and stowed her wrench away. Gripping the blaster tightly in her hand, she carefully passed through the clawed-out entrance and ventured inside. She'd come here to fix the machine, not face an escaped experiment. But the grubs sure didn't look like they were up to the task.

She just hoped that whatever she did wouldn't summon Zurg again. She'd hate to disappoint him a second time this day.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:50 am

"No, don't!" The grubs tried to latch onto her pant leg and pull her back; five grubs against her was enough power to yank her out of the sinister air duct. When she was safe and back into full view they shivered and huddled closer to her. "

"We can't let you risk yourself!" One squeaked while another nodded vigourously.

"Yeah! His Evilness would never forgive us if something happened to you!"

While they may be cowards, they weren't fools. They would rather risk their lives and face a quick, violent death at the hands of a monster than a slow, agonizing torment at the hands of the Evil Emperor. It was a no brainer question! That said, grubs were also not very observant. While they had saved Jo's life, they had failed to notice a slimy tentacle slither their way. When one turned around to notice a shadow drape over the group, it was too late.

With a yell the grub fell onto its chest and the tentacle dragged it into the shaft by the ankle, the poor minion's wide, frightened eyes the last thing anyone saw.

"Grub-072!" The rest of the grub unit rushed to the duct's edge and they peered through, shouting and crying for their lost comrade.

"What do we do?!"

"Will 72 be okay!?"

"How will we explain this to His Evilness!?"

The grubs were lost in frantic chatter, none of them knowing rightfully what to do. As they suffered through limited shared intelligence by being near each other so, too, did they suffer from shared emotions. With all of them spooked and scared, none of them would be able to think straight. Seemed Jo would have to step up to the plate.

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:17 am

Well, there went that plan. Jo pretty much figured that Zurg had ordered them all to make sure nothing bad would happen to her. And on the other hand, it was probably a good thing they'd stopped her. She really had to think things through sometimes.

And just then, something grabbed one of the grubs and dragged it inside before they could do anything. It looked like a tentacle, but Jo had barely seen it before it dragged the poor grub away.

"Somebody has to go after him!" She tried to worm out of their grip. "Even if we wait and call for help if we don't do something now that little guy's gonna get it!" 72, right? Yeah, he was going to be monster food if they didn't move fast.

"I'm going in." She shrugged them off and climbed back in, blaster held high and ready, the only source of light the tiny glow in her pocket. "Call for help or something!"
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:30 am

Jo had spoken. The grubs, eying each other one last time, looked up at her and reached a silent verdict. "Two of us will go with you, while the other three will go get help." And to show, two grubs each took a side of Jo while the other three bunched together and waved.

"Good luck!"

"Be safe!" The trio offered their condolences and went off, running as fast as they could while the two remaining followed Jo into the shaft. "We're ready when you are."

The best they had were welding torches but their meager, but heated, flames would ward of monsters temporarily. Let's just hope the three of them could handle it...

Ahead was a dark, eerie ventilation shaft and a lone, low drone reverberated from within. It was only them and the monster, and if they listened carefully... they could hear a little cry of help far off.

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 am