Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Let's See This Freak Show Staff....

Post by Zurg on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:25 am

Huh, like genocide. While the Evil Emperor was verse in the ways of philosophy and critical thinking, he had indeed flirted with the notion of genocide regarding this matter and then some. It just so happened, however, that the issue was not commonly brought up -- or even capturing of his attention. A difficult landmine to overcome in all sense of the word. If he did not sympathize with Jo he risked losing some standing with her, and if he did not sympathize with the brain pods he risked losing his minions' standings as well. Another diplomatic approach was in store, then. His job was suddenly becoming more stressful as of late.

With an understanding sigh Zurg tried to explain himself. "Jo, you know this is an evil fortress where atrocities are committed on a daily basis." An easy introduction. "With that logic it's natural certain actions are perceived heinous within the outside world. But here, however, my staff is allowed to work without impunity and prejudice. The brain pods and I have agreed that they are allowed to dabble in the more unethical studies in order to further my goals as well as broaden their scientific freedoms. If I go back upon this contract I will not only seem to be a dishonest overlord but a biased one, as well." At this he paused, hoping she would understand where he was getting at.

"I can't express favourtism every time something finds itself bothersome to you. I've got an evil empire to run, Jo, and as much as I want to make sure that you aren't troubled I have my own limitations." Here came the part where he tried his hand, yet again, at a compromise. Craters, he was getting rusty at these. "That said... I am open to suggestions. If you think the experiment can find a better fate other than re-purposing then I won't disregard what you have to say. But make it quick." Zurg gestured to the timecom on the overhead monitors, the seconds ticking.

"Cleansing is done on the hour by the hour." And by judging from the clock, she only had twenty minutes to state her claim.

The Evil Emperor sat upon his throne and waited patiently as if he were ruling on a subject.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:41 am

Jo chewed on her lower lip again, this time disregarding the horrible taste. She understood, she really did. She didn't like it, but she understood his arguments. It wasn't like she wanted him to change whatever didn't suit her. No, she didn't want favoritism to be shown to her and it wasn't her place to tell him how to run things. But the situation wasn't about her, it was about this poor creature that was going to be sentenced to death merely because it was different.

She glanced at the clock, then back to Zurg, trying to think up of alternatives for the beast's fate. They had to be good and they had to be legitimate. No, it couldn't be trained to do menial errands. Letting it loose on Planet Z sounded like a recipe for disaster. So did letting it loose on another planet. Would it even know how to survive in the wilderness? What did it even eat? How could it see to its needs? How could anyone else?

And then it clicked and she suddenly smiled, wondering why it hadn't come to her in the first place. "Furbanna could take it! Buzz's girlfriend! She's an animal expert, isn't she? And I think last I heard, she and Buzz were trying to catalog all of Portal Breach's animals. I bet she'd jump at the opportunity to take any failed experiments off of the brain pods's hands and give them a new home!"

She clasped her hands together--wait, slime, bad idea--then looked up at Zurg expectantly, waiting for an answer. She hoped he'd like the idea. And if not.... Jo didn't know what to do after that.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:01 am

And there you had it: Jo had come up with a suitable purpose for a creature with none. This was what he truly loved about Jo (beside her spirit, of course): her good heart. Much better than his, at least. Whereas he saw things with a pinch of salt, always being the more cold and dry; she saw things with a pinch of sugar, looking for the good through the bad and trying to work with it. How in the galaxy did they ever hook up, you ask...

"Dr. Furbanna..." The Evil Emperor took a few seconds to tap his metallic talons on his armrests, but he ultimately drew his answer. The zoologist could certainly take the experiment, sure, but would she find it adhering to her doctrine? Dr. Furbanna, while a famous animal advocate, would no doubt find such an artificially-created monster sub-par to her profession -- she may not even accept it! And if she didn't accept it, then the creature would be back to square one: paste. "Yes, I suppose the scientist could have a use for the beast, but I do wonder...." The Evil Emperor was going to state his concerns.

"What guarantee is there for her to accept something created in a lab, not in the natural animal kingdom? It is the only one of its kind, it cannot reproduce, and it is doomed to die; alone and broken, at some point. How do you know that keeping it from being cleansed is the humane--as you called it--thing to do?" The parallels in what he said were astounding, and he knew them very well.

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:15 am

"There is no guarantee that she'll take it," Jo said slowly, having known the alternative, "but in the end isn't it better to have at least tried? She might not want it, but she might be able to keep it for a time until she can teach it how to survive in the wilderness on its own." The chances were still slim, but to just do nothing and leave it to its faith was unthinkable. No, Jo had to at least try to fight for its fate since it couldn't fight for itself.

And as for the second part of his inquiry, which Jo understood the parallels of as if she were seeing them right in front of her, she thought of an answer to that too. "Even though it's the only one of its kind and might very well be doomed to live a broken life all alone, isn't it fairer and kinder to at least give it a chance to find that out for itself? It might not end up alone in the end, even if it won't have someone who looks like it by its side. If we kill it now we'll be taking away all chances of it ever being happy and living instead of offering it some chance to achieve happiness."

She fell silent, glancing at the clock again, and awaited what Zurg had to say.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:22 am

"Fairness and kindness are not things I make a habit to swim in." Was Zurg's quick reply, but Jo had spoken her case. Even without any legal training she spoke common sense, and that was good enough for him.

But there was a catch, as with most of deals the Evil Emperor had his fingers in. Reaching into an armrest he drew out a long distance communicator and turned it on with a click, throwing it to the mechanic for her to catch. "Call Dr. Furbanna." He instructed. "If she wants to take the beast, she may. But if not..." His eyes casually glanced to the ticking clock, which was now at ten minutes.

She already knew the rest of the sentence.

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:34 am

"Oh! Right now? Uh, okay, yeah, stupid question." She caught the phone with her slimed hands and it slipped and clattered to the floor. She stooped down to pick it up, then realized she didn't have her number. Oh craters. But she looked through Zurg's directory and spied that a few people were on speed dial, Dr. Ozma Furbanna included. How convenient.

She pressed a button and carefully brought the receiver to her ear, hoping that she would pick it up--and fast, she hoped, as she glanced back up at the clock. Time was ticking.
    [ADPT.] Ozma Furbanna
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 2

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    70/70  (70/70)
    Stamina Bar:
    12/12  (12/12)

Post by [ADPT.] Ozma Furbanna on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:46 am

A tone ringed in Jo's ear before a complicated string of dials and beeps clicked and beeped, and suddenly... a voice.

"H-Hello? Who is this." Whoever was on the line did not sound happy at all, and it sounded like they had been asleep prior to the call. "Do you know what time it is?"

Something stirred from the other end of the line. "Auuugh, who is it, Ozma? I thought we didn't get telemarketers out here..." A man?

Jo should be relieved that this was Ozma's line, but that still didn't make the other woman happy. If anything, she was downright irate at being woken up in the middle of the night. She had work tomorrow! "Hmph, must be a prank caller."

Click.

Well, that went smoothly.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:51 am

Before Jo could even speak, Ozma had hung up. Jo just stared flatly at the phone, but that wasn't going to let her give up. This time, she called Buzz's number. And she knew that he had been sleeping there right beside her, there was no mistaking his voice! And this time she was going to get a chance to talk before they hung up on her.

Even though she did feel bad for waking them up in the middle of the night. Guess the time-difference with Portal Breach really did make a difference. She would apologize, of course, but this was too important to leave for tomorrow! She only had eight minutes left!
    [ADPT.] Buzz Lightyear
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 47

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    55/55  (55/55)
    Health Bar:
    520/520  (520/520)
    Stamina Bar:
    94/94  (94/94)

Post by [ADPT.] Buzz Lightyear on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:59 am

That did it. The line picked up again this time with the unmistakeable voice of the pride of Star Command. "Nnnngh, Lightyear, here. Can I..." He paused to yawn. "...help you?"

There came some grunting from Ozma, who was probably turning around and putting a pillow over her head.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:01 am

"Buzz! Hi, it's Jo. I've got this major problem Dr. Furbanna can help me out in but she hung up on me before I could say a thing." She tried not to sound bitter about it, but her tone of voice was urgent. Seven minutes!

"Do you mind if I have a quick word with her? I promise I won't take up too much of your time."
    [ADPT.] Buzz Lightyear
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 47

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    55/55  (55/55)
    Health Bar:
    520/520  (520/520)
    Stamina Bar:
    94/94  (94/94)

Post by [ADPT.] Buzz Lightyear on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:05 am

Jo? "Oh! Hello, Miss..." He yawned again. "Miss Pistonne. An urgent problem, you say, and one Ozma can help with? Hang on." Shuffling could be heard and a woman's voice grunted.

"You just couldn't say 'no', couldn't you."

"It's for a good cause, and she sounds like she needs immediate help. Just this once won't kill you, Ozma."

"Nnngh, fine, but you owe me, Lightyear."

"I'll make it up to you after dinner." There was a light smack like the sound of lips kissing someone's skin, and Buzz returned to the call with full attention. "Jo, you still there? Ozma will speak to you in a moment; she's just, ah, waking up, first. Shouldn't be too long."
    [ADPT.] Ozma Furbanna
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    70/70  (70/70)
    Stamina Bar:
    12/12  (12/12)

Post by [ADPT.] Ozma Furbanna on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:07 am

True to Buzz's word Dr. Ozma Furbanna's icy voice replaced his and the renowned scientist spoke gruffly. "I don't know who you are or what you want, but Buzz thinks I should talk to you about something bad enough to wake us up in the middle of the night. Get talking, or else I hang up again and go back to sleep."

Charming, really.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:15 am

Ouch. This woman was like spitfire. Guess the whole opposites attract thing counted true. For the both of them. Moving on, now!

Jo decided to not go with the customary greeting and get right to the chase. "Dr. Furbanna, though I'm really sorry for calling you this late and waking you up, a poor creature's literally six minutes away from turning into paste unless...." And here came the hard part. "....Unless I could persuade you to take it into custody instead."

Oh, way to go, Jo. That sounded amazingly swell.

"Before you say anything, please hear me out. It's an experiment, but it's a failed experiment, and if you can't take it in, the poor thing will be killed. I really don't want that to happen, but I have no other alternative and no one else to ask for help." She hoped she could appeal to Ozma's soft spot for animals, she really hoped so.

She looked at the clock again. Five minutes.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:18 am

Meanwhile, Zurg was too busy watching intently. "Oh, this is priceless!" The Evil Emperor whispered, his cheeks puffing out from his smiling. "Please, please! Tell me you're getting all this!"

A trio of grubs not far off gave him the thumbs up and kept the camera rolling. "Getting all of it, Your Evilness!"

Ugh, now if only they had some popcorn!

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    [ADPT.] Ozma Furbanna
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    70/70  (70/70)
    Stamina Bar:
    12/12  (12/12)

Post by [ADPT.] Ozma Furbanna on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:22 am

Was this woman for real? Experiments being turned to paste? What!?

"Are you saying that you have some 'failed experiment', for the lack of a better term, going to be turned into paste? Lady, just how stupid do you think I am?" Classical Dr. Furbanna; skeptical to the bitter end. "Who in their right minds would have a failed experiment just laying around to turn into glue? I mean, really. Buzz, did you know about this? Is this some sick, twisted game you're playing?"

"Ozma, really! You know I wouldn't mess around, harming innocent animals! I know Jo and she's not the one to lie, honest!"

"Know her, huh."

"Ozma, don't look at me like that."

As juicy as this was to listen to, Jo didn't have the luxury of time at her disposal. The clock was ticking and it waited for no one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:15 am