Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Here for a diagnostic scan . . .

Post by Lawrence on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:17 pm

Now, this part of the vision, Lawrence had lived most of it. His dreaming soul didn't exactly have a choice in the matter, and so he viewed it anyway.

Orvus and the Zoni had known Nefarious was coming for quite some time. The asteroid landing on Zanifar, the takeover of that world and the surrounding sector, everything. As linked to time as they were, they could see nearly all possibilities. They could only prepare for the most likely, though . . . unfortunately the most likely timeline would result in Orvus' death, no matter what happened. Their duty was to protect the universe; if Orvus had to die in order to keep things stable, then so be it.

A contingency plan was made, and three robots were chosen to bear a Quantum Actuator, to be a potential heir of the Great Clock. The first was Clank, Orvus' son. The second was Sigmund, who would need one anyway for his job as Junior Caretaker. And the third, shockingly enough, was Nefarious's own butler, Lawrence. The Fongoids had to call the Zoni to repair the two villains anyway, so why not add another layer to the plan while the opportunity was there?

Luckily for all involved, the path with the least amount of collateral damage saw the Clock go to Clank, and then he passed on his duty to Sigmund. However, there was still one Quantum Actuator in play even if it was sealed, and that was left to its owner for reasons that Orvus told no one . . . well, not until now, anyway.

The vision faded, and Lawrence found himself standing on a floating platform in a place that sort of looked like the inside of a computer. Before he could get a decent look around, with a flash of light, Orvus appeared before him.

The leader of the Zoni floated there, not exactly smiling, but he still seemed fairly amused. "Well, it's about time, Lawrence; I thought I might never be able to discuss things with you."

The butler took a step back, looking a bit shocked. "Orvus. You... you're dead. I was there when Nefarious killed you." That got him to thinking of what seeing the dead might mean for his own continued existence, but quickly focused on the here and now as he had no interest in panicking. There was still a shake in his voice when he spoke again, though. "W-what do you wish to discuss?"

Orvus did smile a bit then, trying to reassure his somewhat unwilling audience. "Now, now; there's no need to fear. Your former master only destroyed the vessel I used to interact with the material world. You cannot kill energy, my friend. Unfortunately that limits my interaction with mortals to soul to soul contact like this, but I'm getting off the subject. I wish to discuss what you're currently having done to yourself . . . aren't you curious as to why you even have a Quantum Actuator in the first place?"

Lawrence did calm a bit at the Zoni's words, but as for his question, he didn't really have much time to think about it before shutting down. But now that he thought of it... "Yes, sir. It truly doesn't make sense given the other two choices, unless you have other plans for me."

The Zoni looked pleased at this, nodding eagerly. "Yes, that's precisely it! You really are rather bright, it's too bad you're so enamored with the dark side. But again, off the subject. I am the leader of the Zoni, and as such, I was able to see the end of our universe as well as the creation of the new one you now reside in. The timestream there will be very unstable for quite some time, so the Chronoscepter and someone able to use it are my gifts to that new universe. I do not mind that it has fallen to you, even though I'm aware that it's too much to ask not to use the Chronoscepter for evil. All I ask is that you try your best to maintain temporal stability in the Breach. If there are any rifts that the powers there haven't noticed, seal them, and so on. Now then, I'll just let you get back to 'sleep'; those mechanics out there will wake you back up soon enough."

Awareness faded before Lawrence had a chance to say anything else in reply.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:02 am

"Eeeeh, robot innards." The grubs made faces of squick but soon scrambled over, one climbing on top of the other to get a good peek inside. Hmm... Nothing really out of the ordinary as far as tech went. "He's got nice paneling." Was their first comment before shifting their buggy little eyes onto something... odd. It was tucked way back, but it was there. And it winked. Naturally little bug eyes were drawn towards it like moths to flame.

"He's also got a nice golden pocket watch in there. Kinda like circuity."

"Yeah, with blue, glowy bits!" The other added enthusiastically from the bottom.

Was that it? It also seemed to... tick.

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:19 am

"Hey, make some space so I can take a look too!" Jo pushed the two grubs apart, half-leaning on them, half-holding them, as she put her face between them and eyed Lawrence's insides. A strange mental image, but a necessary one for a mechanic all the same.

She whistled, eying the machinery up close and at hand. It was different seeing schematics and actually checking things out for yourself. Lawrence was an extremely well-made robot. But Jo also spotted something that seemed out-of-place, but still there. A golden pocket watch, as the grubs had described, only it glowed blue in some places, with gears that were immobile and wires leading off into unknown places, connecting the center with the rest of the robot's parts.

"So this is the Quantum Actuator...." Jo mused. It certainly lived up to its name. But it didn't seem to be working at the moment. No, it looked like the cables were.... blocked?

She took out a pen-like instrument from her toolbelt, which turned into a magnifier of sorts. She placed it over the opening, stretching her arm as far as she could reach inside without jostling anything, and examined the cables. Yep, just as she'd suspected. There was something blocking the cables. That was probably why this area had come up as a blank in the scan.

"Okay, boys...." She drew back her hand and put the tool away. "This'll require some finesse. I'll need something to jumpstart it and cable crimpers. I think I've got some crimpers on the table. Got anything to jumpstart it after we free the blocks?"
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:28 pm

"On it!" The grubs saluted sharply.

Rolling to the sides, one grub purposely bumped into the table holding the crimpers and got them to jumble off neatly into its hands while the other went scampering into the back room once again. As the first grub lay waiting near Jo's side, the second could be heard huffing and puffing from the hall.

"This! Is! Heaveeeeee!" There was suddenly a loud thud and the grub wiped its exoskeleton, resting about a big ol' brick. But it wasn't a brick, of course. It was an old battery the grubs had taken an interest in earlier. This would provide ample energy to jump start, no? Lifting it again with wobbling knees and grimacing, the grub hobbled it over and dropped it near Jo's feat with another loud thud.

"One battery--" Said the left.

"--And a pair of crimpers--" Said the right.

"Ready to go!" They ended in unison with another proud salute.

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:58 am

"Great!" Jo patted each grub on the head and scooped up the crimpers. "Shine me a light so I can see what I'm doing and not mess up."

Carefully, she stuck her hand inside again and clamped one of the crimpers around a bolt. She squeezed the bolt tightly and twisted very carefully. She couldn't find an edge for the bolts to come off naturally, but it snapped in two from her efforts. Jo's muscles tensed, but she managed to catch both pieces in the crimper. Years of practice had served her well. She withdrew the crimper, deposited the pieces on the table beside her, then examined her handiwork. The cable was free, and it seemed to glow with a faint light.

"So that's how we do it...." Jo picked up the crimper again and proceeded to do the same thing to the rest of the bolts. One by one, they snapped off. She was careful about the pieces, but in the rare cases that she might lose a couple, she had her other hand cupped underneath to catch them. Which made for more awkward work, but it was safer, in the end.

Once all the bolts had been removed, Jo straightened. "Alright, boys. Time to jumpstart it." Shrugging, she took the large battery from them and connected it with wires to the golden watch. She flicked a switch, and after a few moments of nothing but silence, there was a shower of sparks and a loud buzzing sound, and the glow surrounding the gears seemed to intensify before dimming. When Jo stooped down to check on it, the golden gears were in motion again. How they could move on their own accord without power when Lawrence was shut down was beyond Jo, but she removed the wires and closed Lawrence's hatch, screwing the metal plate back into place.

"I think we're done here. Our mission was a success!" She wiped the sweat from her brow. "Now let's wake him up, if he hasn't already from the jumpstart."
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:20 am

The extra jolt of electricity did indeed begin Lawrence's bootup sequence, though it was delayed due to his panels still being open. Once Jo put the last bolt into place, the boot sequence started running, though it would take a bit longer this time.

GADGETRON OS ver. 9.39596 REBOOTING
    NEW HARDWARE DETECTED; SEARCHING FOR DRIVERS.....
    1 FILE FOUND; INSTALLING............... DONE.
    SYSTEM START IN 10 SECONDS....

All of the lights on Lawrence's frame lit up again, including his optics, and then he blinked. He noted Jo and the Grubs looking at him expectantly, but the first thing he said had nothing to do with the Quantum Actuator. "I... I was dreaming? That's not possible."

He shook his head as if to clear it. "But that's not important now; from the looks on your faces, I take it you found the Actuator? When is it going to activate fully . . ."

The butler trailed off, soon realizing just how much more aware of the flow of time he was. Yes, he had an internal chronometer, but that was only the attempt of a mere mortal designer to keep track of time. With the Quantum Actuator now active, he felt in tune with the eternal rhythm of the Breach and could sense its pattern in everything. For a robot that needed at least some order to be calm and who was well aware of its rarity, this was unbelievably comforting. Lawrence closed his optics for a few seconds, just allowing the flow of the universe to embrace him, and a faint smile formed on his metal lips. "I wonder if this is what Clank and Sigmund felt? It's so beautiful."

Lawrence found he could push away that feeling just as easily as he'd called it, though it would always faintly be there. Not wanting to waste another second, he opened his optics again and called the Chronoscepter out from his internal storage. The butler had never been aware of its power before, but now he could feel the quantum energy pulsing from it, also in time with the Breach. After a brief flicker of light around its center, all of the Chronoscepter's moving parts started up again, and he stared at it in wonder.

A few seconds later, the butler tried to clear the fog from his mind again, and finally managed to really focus on Jo and the Grubs. "I-I apologize if I seem to be acting strangely . . . this is just a lot to process at once, though I think I'm all right now. Thank you very much for helping me."

Last edited by Lawrence on Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Yeah, kinda overdid it, I think . . .)
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:25 pm

While the battery sparked to life and jolted Lawrence's insides, the grubs winced and covered their heads. Light bulbs and other electrical appliances whined and groaned as the mysterious Quantum Actuator within the robot thrummed to life, something indeed happening. They didn't know what, but soon Lawrence came back online after a rebooting sequence and they looked at him with wide, buggy eyes.

"Hmm. He seems okay." One remarked, going over to move Lawrence's arm up and down gently. "No sign of metal fatigue."

The other grub was more fascinated at the golden-whacky thingy and it tapped its chin. "Seems Lawrence is now attuned with his component. Shall we tell him of his tab now, oh Painful One?"

Together the grubs looked over expectantly at Jo, wondering if she would allow their request.

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:11 am

Jo frowned a bit at Lawrence, but she understood that he'd probably be feeling more than a little woozy after the rejoining process. "It's alright, Lawrence. As long as you feel fine. I could always run another check-up on you if you need it. Just to make sure everything's working alright."

She nodded at the grubs. "Go ahead. I think Zurg'll be paying, but.... I'm curious to hear what you've tallied up." She bit on her lower lip to keep from snickering, wondering what they'd say.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Lawrence pulled his arm away from the Grub who'd just moved it, and glared at him a moment before looking to Jo again. "Thank you for the offer, but it's unnecessary for the moment. My systems are usually quite quick to stabilize after being modified, and this case seems no different. If anything changes, I'll be sure to come back right away, though."

At the mention of a tab, the butler looked a bit embarrassed. "Well, Zurg will be paying, as I haven't managed to acquire employment yet. Depending on how the raid goes, I think I may end up working for him, though."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:52 pm

"Uh-huh!" The grubs scampered about Lawrence, almost seeming to dance around his pudgy girth. "In return for helping Lawrence unlock his timely duties, the Evil Emperor Zurg has tasked Lawrence for joining in on the raid and aiding in the fight to take Carrie's lab! Once the lab is done, His Evilness has stated that he has a very evil surprise for the robot. Yes, yes!"

They clapped a few times, positively giddy and relaying something so evil, and they turned to Jo. "He also hopes that Her Evilness didn't have a hard time with helping Lawrence, and wishes to say that he wouldn't have trusted anyone else with the delicate task. Lots of love! No, wait. Delete that! NO! Stop recording that! Stop that! STOP, YOU NO GOOD, LITTLE--!"

Apparently the grubs had gotten carried away with the message and one enacted out being the Evil Emperor while the other was the messenger grub, the former strangling the latter.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:41 am

"Works for me," Jo said, nodding. That was state-of-the-art technology right there and the mechanic looked Lawrence up and down once admiringly. he was truly a remarkable build of robot. She might examine what scans she'd made of him to get ideas on how to improve her own robot-building skills. Learning about new ways to construct robots would be very useful for the future.

"Oh, I think I know what Zurg's surprise will be~" But she kept it to herself. She had a feeling that Lawrence would be pleased with it.

She grinned and had to stifle her laughter at what the grubs said next. "Alright, boys," she finally said, still snickering. "Tell His Evilness that I didn't have a hard time, am honored that he would trust me with something so important, and that I send him lots of love and kisses right back." She extended a foot to nudge them away from each other before they got too carried away and one of the grubs collapsed from lack of oxygen.

"Well, Lawrence, I'd say that's that." She winked. "Enjoy your newfound sense of time and space and drop by for a visit whenever you're in the mood for another check-up or just general chitchat!"
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:52 am

Lawrence would have arched an eyebrow if he had one at the mention of a surprise. "A surprise? Well, I suppose that's something to look forward to after the raid . . ."

When the Grubs continued their message, he snickered a bit at the 'lots of love' part. He quieted at Jo's reply to them, though. So, Jo and Zurg were more than just friends, eh? He'd have to keep that in mind if he ended up working for Zurg . . . he would take orders from her too, it was only proper to listen to the Empress as well as the Emperor.

Finally, his visit seemed to be over. "Well, thank you again, and it would be my pleasure to stop by again later, for repairs or just pleasant conversation."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:28 am

The grubs giggled at the foot nudge, rubbing their dirty little sides. When they heard Lawrence state his desire to leave they jumped up and down, waving. "Good bye, fat robot known as Lawrence!" They squeaked happily, excited that he didn't shoot at them.

"We hope you come back!"

"Yeah! We like you!"

Oh, the horror for the poor robot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 am