Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

A New Sword for a Young Hero

Post by Link64 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Link stopped Epona outside the shop belonging to Jo. The Kokiri Sword on his back had served him well, but it wasn't a very powerful blade. He once wielded the master Sword, the blade of evil's bane, and while he could not wield it as a child, he knew that if he planned to fight the monsters here, to stop Skull Kid, he'd need a stronger sword.

And so he'd asked Jo, because he'd heard she could create armour, if she could reforge his blade, or just make a new blade for him to use, something stronger. She'd said to come by her shop, and so here he was. The young Hylian hopped off Epona, petted her as if to say 'I'll be back' and then he left her outside as he walked into the store. it was still strange to him that he could ride her around town, the guards hadn't let him bring her into Clocktown or Hyrule Market.

"Hello?" He called, looking around. He was worried about he would pay for the sword, since he had no job, but it was important, and if Jo would let him, he'd work for her to pay it off.
    [INACT.] Zeb Brooks
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 1

Re: A New Sword for a Young Hero

Post by [INACT.] Zeb Brooks on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:44 am

As soon as Zeb heard a customer come in, he wiped his hands off on a handkerchief he carried around and shoved it in his back pocket before appearing . "Hello?" He looked around before noticing the kid. Hey, wasn't he one of them orphans that ran around here? Shame. Kid could probably use a good mother. Then again, the women around here were strangely nice to kids, despite being frightening. How very, very peculiar.

Yeah...this greeting customers thing would take some getting used to, but at least he wasn't freaking out about them being communists anymore. He smiled and waved at the kid, trying to recall his name. Eesh, he should spend more time in the sanctuary. "Can I help you? You're...Link, right?"
    Link64
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Link64 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:08 am

"Hello Mr. Zeb." Link said happily, walking over to the man, who he recognized from adding everyone to his Bomber's Notebook. It had gotten very long. "Jo said she could make me a better sword. Is she here?" Link didn't know Zeb very well, only that he had seemed rather jumpy about being here, But who could blame him? Most people weren't used to falling into other worlds, let alone hearing their own had been destroyed. This place had so many strange things in it that even Link, who'd traveled in time, was baffled by parts of it, especially the technology.

"Do you work here?" He asked. This might have been a dumb question, since he certainly looked like he did, but maybe he just lived here, who was Link to assume things?
    [INACT.] Zeb Brooks
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 1

Post by [INACT.] Zeb Brooks on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:15 am

Oh, Miss Jo was quite the busy woman. Zeb nodded at him, indeed she was. Probably working herself half to death, such a hard worker! "Yes, Miss Jo's in the back, I'll go get her for you." He started to step away before hearing the next question. Chuckling, he nodded again.

"Indeed I do, Miss Jo was kind enough to give me a job when I arrived." He was catching onto the technology rather quickly, though some things still confused him. His time's stuff was so much more simple! "Wait right here," he motioned for Link to stay before stepping into the back.

Knocking before entering one of the back rooms, Zeb peeked in, wondering if his boss was hiding out in here. "Ma'am? Link's here. Something about a sword."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:45 am

Jo looked up from working on a miniature probe of sorts. In theory, it would be able to pick up every microscopic device in a vehicle--but she was still trying to work out a few kinks and it wasn't exactly working out for some reason.

"Oh! Link!" That boy was punctual! Had to give him props for that. "Sure thing, I'll be down in just a second!"

Jo slipped her tools back into her belt, carefully pushing the miniature probe onto a clear corner of her work table, before getting up and heading into the main room.

"Hi, Link!" Jo leaned over the counter. "Got your sword for me again so I can take the measurements?"
    Link64
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Link64 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:33 am

Link smiled at Jo and nodded, taking the Kokiri sword out of it's sheath and laying it on the counter. It was very small for a sword, definitely a blade made for a child to wield. But since the Kokiri were all children, this made perfect sense. Link, however, needed a new sword, one that would be more powerful, and one that was longer too, something he wouldn't outgrow in a few years.

"Do you have anything I can do for you as payment?" Link said, still feeling ashamed that he had no money. He'd be glad to do anything he was asked to do, and he'd work as long as it took to pay off the sword.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:42 am

Jo drew out her measuring tape. It looked like a pen, but it recorded measurements just fine. "So, tell me how you want this sword to be like again. The same size and hilt design? She seemed to remember him saying something about a similar yet different sword, but it would be best to get everything down from the start.

And Jo had thought about maybe allowing Link to run some errands for her, but she really didn't have much he could do for her. "Maybe we could do it this way," she suggested. "You could pay a small amount every month until you pay me back for the sword. I'm estimating the final price to be somewhere around 200 to 500 credits. But I'll only know once I've made it. You could pay me 50 or 20 a month, whatever you feel will be easier for you. What do you think?"
    Link64
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Link64 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:09 am

Link watched as Jo measured the sword, using a strange thing he'd never seen before, and while he wasn't really sure she was measuring, the motions sort of seemed like she was. He wondered if she would need to measure his arm too. His experience with sword making was rather limited. He had a broken blade he'd received fixed and he'd had the sword that now lay on the table in front of him sharpened. In both cases, the blades already existed, so no measurements had been needed.

"So, tell me how you want this sword to be like again. The same size and hilt design?"

He blinked. He hadn't thought about this at all. He'd never had a sword made from scratch for him, he'd always used other swords. "It doesn't really matter what the hilt looks like, just as long as it fits in my hand." He said, realizing this was not helpful but not sure what to answer. "And it can be longer." As valuable as the Kokiri sword was to him, it wasn't much longer than a dagger.

Link listened as Jo explained her payment plan. 500 rup- er, credits was a lot. He had found a few credits while exploring the town, though, so maybe he could get enough that way. Maybe. And he could work jobs for people, there had to be someone in town who needed a ten-year-old boy to do a job for them.

"I'll try to get that much each month." He said, determinedly. "And I promise you'll get the money, and I won't take the sword until I've payed you."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:58 am

"Okay, I'll use the basic scheme of this hilt then." Jo took a few more measurements. "And a little longer? Say.... up to here?" She indicated a few more inches and looked down at him, seeking confirmation.

"Oh, no! The point of this payment plan is that you'll get the sword and pay me for it even though you'll have it. Sometimes, things are so expensive they take years to pay off." Kind of like Barry's armor. Teryllium was pretty expensive, but it was the best of the best. "So do you want to go with 20 or 50 a month?"
    Link64
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Link64 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:25 pm

Link nodded at the length she was suggesting. That would be good, long enough that he wouldn't outgrow it in a few years, but not too big for him to use now. Tatl was floating around watching everything as they talked, but not saying anything. He doubted she knew anything about sword making either, because if she did, she would certainly have said it by now.

"Oh, no! The point of this payment plan is that you'll get the sword and pay me for it even though you'll have it. Sometimes, things are so expensive they take years to pay off. So do you want to go with 20 or 50 a month?"

Link hoped it wouldn't take him years to pay for this sword. Money had been so much easier to come by in Termina, he really wished he still had all the rupees he'd saved in the bank there. "I'll try to pay you fifty a month but if I can't I'll go with twenty." He said, hoping that would reasonable. He could at least manage 20 a month, that wasn't much at all, he could probably find that much on the street.

"This is embarrassing! You need to find a job and get some money, I can't have to begging for everything!" Tatl hissed in his ear. He brushed her off a little, trying to focus right now on talking ot Jo about the sword. He'd go look for a job after he left the shop.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:29 am

"Sounds good to me!" Jo scribbled his name and order down on a piece of paper and stuck it on the bulletin board behind her, amidst more notes and tools.

She turned back to him, pulling on her gloves. "Fashioning a proper sword takes a while. Anywhere from one to two weeks, or even to a month. Judging by the commissions I already have, I'd guess one to two weeks for yours. Maybe even just one."

What else was she forgetting....? Oh, right!

"Do you want your sword to be made out of a specific kind of metal?" She didn't bother mentioning teryllium. Even though it was the strongest substance and she'd made Barry's armor completely out of teryllium it was freakishly expensive. Link barely had any money as it was and he looked like the kind of person to feel bad about a sword like that.
    Link64
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Link64 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:55 pm

Link nodded. He was eager to get his new sword, be he would wait as long as it took. Maybe even the longer the better, maybe he could save up a lot and make a big first payment.

"Do you want your sword to be made out of a specific kind of metal?"

Again, a question he didn't have a prepared answer to. Ugh, this was embarrassing. Metals, well, he knew of steel and iron, and that was all he could think of. He'd definitely had a sheltered childhood in Kokiri forest. They didn't use metal there, everything was wood!

Tatl flew down and looked at the Kokiri Sword that was still laying on the table. "...You're sword right now is made of steel." The fairy said, talking kind of slowly like Link was an idiot. "And your old shield was made of that too." She added. Link guessed she'd seen the uncertainty on his face, but he wished she were so snippy about everything.

"Maybe steel, or something stronger, I want to be able to stand my ground against monsters, and all the new things here." Well, the things that were new to him probably weren't new to Jo, but some of the creatures and things here probably were, so she'd understand what he meant. He felt so inferior here, he was a child in everyone's eyes, and for all the damage he could do with the Kokiri Sword compared to everyone else, he might as well be playing knight.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:03 am

"Steel's a good, solid choice," Jo agreed. She still wondered whether a child bearing a sword was a good idea, but he was some sort of hero back in his world and he looked like he knew how to use it. At least he wouldn't be swinging it around recklessly like it was some child's plaything.

"Okay! I'll stat work on it ASAP and you can come by in a week to see if it's ready," Jo told him, jotting something else down on the piece of paper. "Or, if I see you in the sanctuary before that, I can tell you when you should come by again and how much it costs by then."

She grinned. "Sound good?"
    Link64
    Stock Pot Inn Staff

Stock Pot Inn Staff

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Link64 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:05 pm

"Alright! I'll be back in a week, unless you say otherwise." He said with a nod, smiling excitedly. He'd get the money, he would. A new sword... he couldn't wait!

He picked up the Kokiri Sword and sheathed it. "Bye! And thank you!" He added, waving, before running back out to Epona.

(I fail epically and ending threads, sorry xD;;)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:07 am