Portal Breach: The Collision of Worlds :: v.4.0

Tracking Down a Nameless Witness (Tag: Prix)

Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Tracking Down a Nameless Witness (Tag: Prix)

Post by Hellboy on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:52 am

After Hellboy had gotten Jana's answers from Bonkers, he had set out in search of Smithson, but was now even more cautious than before. Jana admitted to Megamind not being involved, to the blue car being red instead, and to it having come from an entirely new direction. The demon didn't know who and what to trust now. Bonkers had at least given him a proper description of Smithson, so the demon had decided to go with his original plan. He would go find the six Smithsons he'd found, track them down, and fit the description to them or any family members. And if that failed, he would start asking around. Someone surely would have heard of him from somewhere. Especially someone who looked as memorable as Smithson.

Something nagged at Hellboy in the back of his head, but he didn't know what. He felt like he was missing something. He wasn't putting something together. The bus had claw and bite marks, the kind only a large predator could make. They had almost reminded Hellboy of Arrow's claw marks. But having been in a fight with Arrow the other month, Hellboy knew the marks were similar, but not the same. It would have to have been some other large predator, but who? Or what? That also didn't explain where the guns had come from. Guns didn't pop out of nowhere. The only thing Hellboy could think of was either the assailant in the red car had used them to silence more witnesses--which begged the question of how Jana and Smithson were the only witnesses, and seeing as how Jana had already been arrested for traipsing with Shadow Link, Hellboy wasn't sure if she would be considered a reliable witness, or reliable at all anymore--or the people in the bus were carrying them. But what for? Had the bus been full of terrorists? Hunters? Cult fanatics? Who knew...

But Hellboy was here to find out.
    Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Level : 46

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Re: Tracking Down a Nameless Witness (Tag: Prix)

Post by Prixlezub on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:53 pm

Prixlezub walked through the streets in his human form, not feeling like having to deal with the small streets in his natural form. Someone would always complain of his tail hitting something, or his horns would tangle in the power lines if he was not careful. And so he walked in Portal City in his human form, deciding to blend in with the other citizens. The demon wore a black winter hoodie with a demon skull on the front of it, underneath was a dark maroon shirt. Dark navy jeans kept his legs warm. While steel-toed boots kept his feet from getting chilled in the cold air. The demon even had a pair of sunglasses to hide the strange color if his eyes. The long red hair of the demon was left unbraided.

He may have the volcanic body temperatures in his natural form, but while in human form, some things get downscaled.

Prixlezub was on a street across from hellboy, seemingly waiting for a light to change so he could go across.

Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:41 pm

Hellboy had gone through three Smithsons already. He hadn't found anything useful, which was to be expected. He was probably looking at this from the wrong angle. He had a description and a name. But no name and no picture in the databases. That was pretty self-explanatory already. Either the individual was too new, having recently come to Portal Breach, or he had gone through great pains to keep himself hidden. The demon was more willing to go with the latter scenario. Call it intuition. Hellboy's gut feelings were usually right.

The light flickered green for pedestrians as cars groaned to a halt. A swarm of people began to cross the busy street from both ends, and Hellboy did too. However, as he reached the middle of the street, he felt like something was off. The hair on the back of his neck stood on end, and he was suddenly awash with a familiar feeling and scent that sent not a chill through his bones, but a flush of heat and warmth. Brimstone and bitumen and something like the roasting of marrow-rotted bones that might blacken but never fully burn...

Hellfire.

He turned, slowly, his hand going down to his holster, and in that instance he knew a demon was in his midst. Smithson would have to wait. Hellboy's eyes roved around the faces still around him, the world around him feeling as it it were coming to an abrupt stop; the noises around him faded into the background, things slowed down, and the wrenching feeling of wrongness was more acute than ever. But in that momentary stillness, his senses had managed to hone in on his target: a tall man wearing shades and a hoodie.

Reverting in mid-step, Hellboy turned to follow the man, fighting the sudden instinct to shout and tell him to stand down. Instead, he decided to go for subtlety and simply followed him, keeping his distance. The demon silently thanked Zurg for teaching him patience. In the past, he would have been brash in his decisions.

He would follow the demon, and see what he would discover.
    Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:31 pm

"Smithson" continued walking across the street, subtly glancing back a little upon seeing Hellboy stop in the middle of the crosswalk. However, the demon in disguise did not stop his stride, moving about the people. Prixlezub was not thinking of doing much today, perhaps explore the rest of the city. Later he would go to Ava to talk about some new armor.

That is, if he got rid of Hellboy first.

Upon walking past a bus-stop shelter, he noticed the red demon's reflection in the glass, making the prince wonder about his intentions. Hellboy had been going the opposite direction the last time he saw him, why had he turned around? This seemed suspicious to the demon prince, and so he decided to try something.

Prixlezub continued his current pace, before swiftly walking into an alleyway and turning himself invisible with a simple spell. The demon took refuge behind a dumpster as well, the odor of the rotting garbage inside hopefully masking his own sulfuric scent. The alleyway was typical, a shady looking door was on the building opposite of the dumpster. Above the hiding demon, a fire-escape stairway.

Perhaps this little game of hide-and-go-seek could give the demon knowledge on his follower's intentions. If he passed by, then the whole thing would have been for nothing. However, if Hellboy decided to follow Prixlezub into the alley, the demon would question him.

And now to wait.
    Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:24 pm

Hellboy kept his distance from the man, but kept his eyes trained on his back so he wouldn't lose him. Hellboy was luckily tall enough to not miss him slip into an alleyway. Well, this was more than just suspicious, and it only confirmed Hellboy's worst fears.

He quickly drew out his gun, replacing the bullets with his specially-crafted silver bullets that incorporated holy water and garlic, among other things. Crouching low, he made his way towards the alleyway, slinking in. The only thing the demon would probably see would be Hellboy's yellow eyes, glimmering in the dark.

"Come on," he muttered. "I know you're in here somewhere." He could feel it in his bones, like a dull ache or an itch he could not quite reach. "Show yourself..."
    Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:38 pm

Ah ha. So he was being followed, this day would be very interesting then. Prixlezub decided to stay in the shadows of the dumpster, still invisible. The demon did not want to give away his position just yet. The yellow eyes of the officer caught his attention, and also giving away where Hellboy was as well. The hiding demon was curious of Hellboy's intentions, and so decided to experiment with his follower.

The fellow demon may not be able to see him, but what about hearing him? Prixlezub scooted a little more behind the dumpster, in case this turned out to be a confrontation instead of a conversation.

A low, deep, chuckle echoed from the walls of the alley, making it seem like the person was everywhere. A little magic involving voice throwing helped to accomplish this feat.

"Well, well, well. I applaud you on your tracking skills. You have followed me all the way here." The demon said, still throwing his voice."Care to explain why you were following me?"
    Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:04 pm

The voice seemed to be coming from everywhere, but Hellboy was left unmoved. This was one of the oldest tricks in the book and tricks were for kids. Gun still at the ready, Hellboy took another few steps into the alleyway. He knew the demon was somewhere close, he could feel it.

"It's pretty unusual to see a demon in broad daylight. And in a human disguise, no less." Sounded like a shapeshifter of sorts. Those could be dangerous. "Just curious to know what you're planning. A little curiosity never hurt."
    Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:23 pm

'Smithson' listened to Hellboy's words, grinning a little. So he was curious, hmm? Well then, why not tell him what he was doing. After all, the demon had nothing to hide. Except the destruction of a bus, of course. The demon knew Hellboy was on the police force, same as the agent he talked with earlier. With the last police agent coming to him for information on the bus incident, he had a feeling Hellboy was here for similar information.

The demon officer had seen through his disguise, and knew he was a demon. However, he did not seem to figure out which demon he was. If Prixlezub could play this right, he could still have the advantage.

"Well, then if that is all you want, I will be happy to tell you." The demon prince purred."I am new here, as such, I have decided to explore my surroundings. Is there anything unusual in that?" the demon explained, sounding respectful.

Prixlezub crossed his non-visible arms across his chest, reclining against the brick wall.

"And how is simply taking a stroll in a form that would not intimidate anyone unusual? I simply am being courteous and blending in so that I don't make the humans feel strange. The time of day is irrelevant as well, or am I not allowed to walk whenever I wish?" The demon questioned.

"Speaking of courteousness, I believe it would be polite if I knew who you were." Prixlezub lied, he knew who Hellboy was.

For now however, he was Peter Simthson. A newcomer to Portal Breach.
    Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:13 pm

"No," Hellboy said slowly. "But the vibes I'm getting off of you sure as hell are unusual." Hellboy didn't remember ever having sensed anyone with such a strong demonic aura before. To a priest the invisible smell it would have been sickening, but to Hellboy it had the complete opposite effect. Another remnant of his goddamn birthright.

But he had to admit, he had overreacted. Maybe the demon was simply exploring. His experience here had taught him that not everything was always what it seemed. But his instincts were screaming at him that something was very wrong. And Hellboy's instincts were usually right.

"The name's Hellboy." Oh, how the demon would scoff at him for that name. They always did; humans too, sometimes. Hellboy just hoped the demon didn't pull any 'your real name is so-and-so' bullshit on him. Then he'd get pretty mad, zen thing or no zen thing.

"What's yours?"
    Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Prixlezub blinked. Vibes? What did he mean? The demon was not used to such strange terms. However, the demon prince continued to play along.

The invisible demon grunted and shifted his weight behind the dumpster,"Vibes? Is that how you tracked me?"

"Interesting, I have a feeling your real name is not Hellboy though. it sounds too...human." 'Smithson' said, giving a disgusted look at all the rust on the back of the dumpster.

"As for my name, I go by many." Prixlezub lied, "But if you want an exact name, I will be happy to go by Peter Smithson. My name as well sounds human, but I assure you, it is only for blending in here."

The demon placed his arms behind his head, settling in between the wall and the dumpster. This was going to be like the conversation with K, he bet. Long winded and requiring some creativity with lying on his part.
    Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:10 pm

He seemed to be old-fashioned. Good. Most demons Hellboy faced were like that. He supposed one of the advantages of living amongst humans was being up to speed with the times. "I can feel you. Well... smell you. You can't hide your demonic aura from another demon." Something Hellboy probably didn't know was that lesser demons didn't have that ability. But ignorance was bliss, after all.

"That's what it is. Don't like it, don't care." He shrugged simply, gun held a little loosely, but at the ready for anything.

...And bingo. Hellboy's hunt was over. "So you're the Smithson I've been looking for. Shoulda figured." And he also should have figured that the demon wouldn't have revealed its true name to him. Knowing one's true name was having power over him, after all. It was for the best that neither knew the other's real name.

"I have some questions to ask you about an investigation you were witness to."
    Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Prixlezub blinked, an aura? How could Hellboy sense auras and he could not? When this was over, the demon would have to look into this, it could prove useful. Perhaps it was another thing that would be kept from him until he was a King demon.

"Interesting ability, Hellboy." 'Smithson' nodded."So then, how accurate is your smell? I am curious about this."

The demon was stubborn, if he wanted his name while in a human guise to be Peter Smithson, so it shall be. However, the demon's stubborness probably landed him in more trouble than he could handle right now. After all, there were no MIB or Hellboy in his home world. This little adventure would be a challenge for his wits.

"Is that so? And now more questions? This place truly is strange." The demon chuckled."Well then, ask away. I am not hostile towards curiosities."

Prixlezub grinned from behind the dumpster, resetting a strand of hair that he felt fall over his face.
    Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:46 pm

"Accurate enough to know when other demons are around," Hellboy answered warily. He didn't know himself, to be honest. Hellfire was just a smell he could tell apart from other smells easily. Another part of his birthright, he surmised. But it wasn't like he'd tell Smithson that.

Hellboy decided not to ask what he meant by 'more questions' and instead focused on the task at hand. "You and Jana were bith present at a bus accident. My colleague already questioned you, but I need some more answered.

"Just how much did you see of what was happening for starters?"
    Prixlezub
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    510/510  (510/510)
    Stamina Bar:
    92/92  (92/92)

Post by Prixlezub on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:00 pm

The demon hummed thoughtfully. The ability to sense demon auras would definitely prove useful to him if he could harness such an ability. Prixlezub grinned in his thoughts, wondering about what it would be like to sense, or smell another demon. Prixlezub pondered a moment and took the time to actually smell himself, sniffing at the sleeve of his shirt. It smelled like him: smoky, sulfuric, and like burning flesh with a metallic undertone. Perhaps that is what Hellboy meant by being able to smell him. Prixlezub shrugged and listened to the fellow demon's questions.

"Your colleague? Hmm.." The demon, acted as if he were trying to remember. "Who is this colleague? I don't think I remember. Same with this Jana person."

The demon shifted again and poked at a loose piece of asphalt with a clawed finger. "However, the bus accident, as you call it, was most memorable. I had came there from outside of a shop, The place had some interesting items that I decided to look at. However, I digress, you likely want to know about the bus of course, hmm?" The demon said. "I saw the bus flying into the building, along with the vehicle that hit it driving away. However, it did happen quickly, my facts may not be as straight as someone else's views."
    Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:09 pm

"A bobcat... goes by the name of Bonkers." As for Jana, Hellboy didn't comment on that Jana had said she hadn't met Smithson before, so they'd probably barely remember each other... if she were telling the truth.

"Did you see the driver at all? Or the car's brand or nameplate?" he asked, mildly curious. He decided not to mention the discarded weapons just yet. First, he wanted an answer to this simple question.

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 pm