Portal Breach: The Collision of Worlds :: v.4.0

Just a Little Play-Date~! ((Tag: Foxy Proxy))

Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Just a Little Play-Date~! ((Tag: Foxy Proxy))

Post by Zurg on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:15 pm

"Hmph....Spend time with Proxy..."

The Evil Emperor Zurg came stepping out onto the library's front stairway, glancing up at all the Gothic architecture with his signature scowl, as always. He had been told to spend some quality time with the robot, and seeing as how Jo insisted upon it he really had no choice but to try it. At least for a little bit. With a groan and a pop in his back, Zurg let out a sigh and a wince. Sheesh, talk about a rough sleep last night. He was sore all over! Blasted heatwave...

"Augh, let's just get this over with...."

With a snort and that tell-tale scowl he climbed over the steps and waited in the shade of the library's stone awning, checking his timecom as he waited for the robot to show up, wondering if he was going to be stood-up at the last moment.

"Well, wouldn't that be the x'sht...."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Just a Little Play-Date~! ((Tag: Foxy Proxy))

Post by Jo Pistonne on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:42 pm

"Good morning, Zurg-Emeperor."

Proxy ambled into view, walking on all fours. Though he could stand on just his hind legs, he found it easier to traverse long distances on all fours when he could not activate his flight-pack, like in the tight confines of the city. His electronic-sounding voice was clipped, still confused and in distress about their argument the previous night. But Jo had insisted that he ought to spend some time with Zurg and get to know "the real him"... and who was he to refuse her? Though he held no affection for the Evil Emperor, he did respect him, at least grudgingly, and he would do whatever Jo asked of him.

"Creator-Josephine let me off work to come spend 'some quality time' with you," he added, not entirely pleased by the prospect. He knew he'd have gotten in trouble for his attitude anyway... but a part of him had reveled in the recklessness. "I am here and ready. Are you?"
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:01 am

"Good morning....Proxy."

Drats, that robot didn't blow him off, after all. Pity.

Zurg snapped his timecom shut, and put on a cordial facade--which really was no different as he was still scowling, but his eyes weren't as fierce; as in I-will-incinerate-you fierce. He decided to keep that in check until Proxy made a grievous error. From his perch underneath the awning he watched the robot take its sweet time towards him, and the Evil Emperor did his best not to seem agitated. Craters, it was hard seeing as he was so sore!

"Well, if Jo wants us to spend some time together, who am I to object~?" He cooed sweetly, assuming a less threatening stance. "Shall we? Robots first~!"

At least he was gracious enough to give Proxy the first step! He better get brownie points for this.

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:24 am

Proxy's single eye winked momentarily as he stood erect on his back legs, focusing on the Evil Emperor. Though he could read and understand basic facial expressions, it was hard to read Zurg's. he was scowling, apparently angry, though his voice didn't sound threatening. Very peculiar.

"Thank you. How... considerate of you," he said, walking forwards and leading the way into the library.

But Proxy's sensors were sharp, and he noticed that Zurg was limping, though it was slight and would have been imperceptible to the naked eye. The robot tried to just brush it off, but he couldn't let it go, even when they had passed the front hall and the time had come to select a category to browse through.

"Did you injure yourself, Zurg-Emperor? How unfortunate." He couldn't keep the bite or anger out of his words as he said this, focusing his gaze on anything besides the Evil Emperor.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:29 am

"Any time, my dear." Ohhhh, Zurg's mocking coo was so sickeningly sweet you could just taste the cavity that came with it. And sure enough, as the robot halted before the browsing catalog, the Evil Emperor heard Proxy inquire a question. That's all this robot was good for, it seemed. Questions, questions, questions. Leave it to Jo to program her robots to be why-children. If he had to speak his mind, those who lived longest were those who didn't see the need to comment on everything.

"Yes, yes; unfortunate, indeed. See anything you like, Proxy, my dear?" He asked over the robot's hunched shoulder, curious about his tastes. "I'm sure they have a section that dabbles in the metaphysical or, better yet, a tome on the Twisting Nether--something Sitkaa monks favour."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:44 am

"How curious," Proxy clipped, slightly miffed that Zurg had dodged his question. He would bring it up again later at the right time.

"I did not know you were interested in the metaphysical, Zurg-Emperor." Perhaps he could be of some use, after all. Jo had said to be polite and include him in his research. "What would you suggest for reading material?" he asked politely.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:48 am

"Why, my dear, I am a man who has his fingers, you could say, in all the pies." He emphasized that word heavily, clutching his talons into the robot's shoulder with a tight squeeze before letting go with a soft, gentle chuckle. Let's see how the robot liked that for spite.

And thus, did Zurg tap a grim tooth, pondering and musing over Proxy's suggestion that he give a course for their ill-fated voyage throughout the day.

"Hmm...If it were up to me, which it is..." He began, placing a hand upon his chest, eyes closed. "I would suggest we browse the...coping section. They probably have a great selection for citizens like us~!"
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:08 am

Proxy ignored the squeeze, whirring angrily, his single eye momentarily flickering red before he composed himself.

He couldn't understand what Jo saw in the man. Simply couldn't! Though he had seemed sincere, briefly, during their last conversation, Zurg only confused him more with his attitude. It was as if he had no steady personality, as if he fluctuated from one facet of his character to the other. It was hard to pinpoint something steady.

"...How apt," Proxy murmured to his suggestion. "But who am I to say no? I do believe the psychology section is this way."

He pointed down a random aisle, then offered, "Royalty first," his voice smug.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:21 am

Ohohoho, just look at that robot splutter~! Zurg caught the red flash of Proxy's optics, and he simply winked back, smiling now. Oh, how delicious this day would be~!

"Ahhh, you flatter me, my dear Proxy!" The Evil Emperor led the way as he cooed, wrapping a bit of his cape proudly over an arm as he effortlessly glided across the rows and rows of books and holo-records; for the more technologically apt, much like himself. "But please, it's just a title to flaunt and earn respect. I've discarded the more customary value long ago. Ah! Coping with a C! I do love alphabetical order~!"

He peered down the aisle cautiously, and pleasantly hummed a small tune as he pretended to admire a few titles.

Proxy should know the tune real well by now~!

Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:31 am

"So your title is merely to make others respect and fear you... I see," Proxy quipped, peering down the aisle himself; he did like alphabetical order.

He heard Zurg start humming a familiar tune and his eye flashed red again, but it only lasted a few seconds.

"...Creator-Josephine ordered me to show the utmost respect to you," he reminded him coolly as he pulled down a book about anger management, implying the fact that he didn't fear Zurg. Mistrust him, yes, but never fear him. "I expect you to do the same if you wish for this meeting to run smoothly and be over quickly and painlessly."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:40 am

"Ah, such a clever robot you are! Nothing but high hopes~!" Zurg didn't bother to explain his title any more than that, and he plucked a book. What about, he hadn't a care to know; he was just down this aisle to see the robot's reaction. To size him up, if you will.

He did notice, however, that Proxy seemed to be fixated upon a book about anger management. So, the robot was angry with him, hmm? Oh, how our movements could betray our thoughts!

"Why, I am hurt, Proxy!" The Evil Emperor feigned a wounded expression and even went so far as to look shocked, a hand once again upon his chest to signify a bleeding heart. Yes, he was dramatic; and no, he frankly didn't care. "The fact that you are insinuating me being rude on this most joyous and special trip cuts be straight to the core!" He ended with a sullen nod.

Without warning, he was suddenly upon the robot, both hands upon his shoulders as he leaned forward, trying to glance at the side of Proxy's head with a most sinister, smug smile.

"That said...I do like a little pain now and then~! And so does your creator..." He whispered, chuckling as he pulled away to leave the robot some space. "After all, masochism is something people have ingrained and programmed into them. Evolution, perhaps. Here's a thought!" Zurg held up a firm finger, a figurative light bulb going off. "Since we're in the psychological department, why don't we explore the nether regions of sadism and masochism? I do love a good read on Schadenfreude~! Who knows? You may even grasp another side--a darker side--of organic thought. Mmm, tantalizing..."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:11 am

Proxy tried his hardest to ignore Zurg, focusing on the book gripped tightly in his hands, feeling an emotion he couldn't rightly explain though knew for anger. He reread the same passage for the fourth time already, reading and comprehending the words but not taking them in.

Anger is "an emotional state that varies in intensity from mild irritation to intense fury and rage," according to Charles Spielberger, PhD, a psychologist who specializes in the study of anger. Like other emotions, it is accompanied by physiological and biological changes; when you get angry, your heart rate and blood pressure go up, as do the levels of your energy hormones, adrenaline, and noradrenaline. Anger can be caused by both external and internal events. You could be angry at a specific person (such as a coworker or supervisor) or event (a traffic jam, a canceled flight), or your anger could be caused by worrying or brooding about your personal problems. Memories of traumatic or enraging events can also trigger angry feelings.

But before Proxy could keep reading on, Zurg suddenly swooped upon him, leaning over him in what was supposed to be an intimidating matter. Though it didn't frighten Proxy, it did slightly unnerve him, and he wondered just what the Evil Emperor was up to... until he spoke.

And that's when Proxy lost his shred of composure for the first time since coming on-line.

He hurled the book he was clutching at Zurg, then lunged at him and gripped him by the front of his robes, slamming him against the bookcase, shrieking, "Don't you dare speak about Creator-Josephine like that!!" His limbs trembled slightly, though not because of Zurg's weight. "And don't you dare touch her again!!" he added, his single eye now flashing a steady red, such was his rage and fury.

No, after such a despicable statement, insinuating such... such... Proxy didn't even want to think about it... he wouldn't let him near her again. Though he feared it was too late to correct the damage the Evil Emperor had done...
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:33 am

Of course, Proxy's reaction was what the Evil Emperor had been expecting and as the robot came upon him, Zurg's body slammed and braced upon the bookshelf in a most ungraceful and calamitous manner. He waited for the robot to finish shrieking and the books to cease falling, glad for once there was no spittle involved. Awful feeling, spittle...But regardless of the battery upon his person, the Evil Emperor simply felt his teeth contort into a smile. He wasn't afraid. Why should he be? After all, was not the robot under a directive? Yes, yes...Proxy, as much as the robot most likely wanted to tear him limb from limb, could not. That would be against everything a robot stood for.

Such was the fate of a machine restrained under zeroes and ones.

"Anger...A very destructive emotion if not gauged regularly." His voice was unusually calm, almost smug. "While it is excellent fuel for drives of any sort, it is also a very heavy flaw. And I see it is one you have fit well into. Well, regarding me, that is."

And as fast as Proxy had lunged upon him, the Evil Emperor was just as fleeting to enact his own authority. With a brief fluttering of his hands, he tapped all the right servos and piston points of the robot, firm yet not damaging. And as the robot's iron-tight grip loosened, Zurg dove into the robot's body and slammed him into the opposite bookshelf, causing just as much a racket as Proxy's.

SLAM!

From there did the Evil Emperor keep the robot pinned. While not strong enough to imprison a machine who was capable of lifting perhaps a ton, Zurg did know first-hand about mechanics and engineering; after all, his empire was dominated by machines. During his counter-assault, he quickly had dug his hands into Proxy's rotary sockets, locking the robot's gears and essentially making his arms weak enough to where they would be useless. That was something for Jo to perhaps adjust later.

"Tell me, Proxy....Do you like your new set of emotions? The ones you have experienced that is?" It was a rhetorical question as Zurg began to examine the robot's face carefully. Eye to eye at last. "I see you've learned anger, jealousy, concern. Perhaps guilt and anxiety. Each of those are very important, but you know what I think is the most important?" And as he asked his question, he squeezed Proxy's gearing tightly, causing the robot's arms to whine and sag.

"Fear." The Evil Emperor whispered, pressing his advantage. "Fear is what keeps us alive, keeps us ahead of the game. It teaches us, guides us, even betters us. It's the reason why are ultimately here; alive and in one piece. That, or boredom. Whichever suits the personality."

After a moment of silence, Zurg found it fitting to continue and he seemed to muse things over.

"But I suppose...After thinking just now...That there are other emotions that are worthy, if not better, than fear. And do you know what they are? Tell me, you're a bright robot. I'm sure you've been observing for yourself." He smiled gently, crookedly with half-lidded eyes.

Tell me.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:14 am

Proxy sorely wished he could tear Zurg apart limb from limb... it would be endlessly satisfying to wipe that smug smirk off his face. But he knew that Jo would be furious with him and that he might even get in trouble for succumbing to his anger. Even now, he was bending the order Jo herself had given to him. But the thought of Zurg being anywhere near her, talking with her, touching her made him angry enough to do things he wouldn't normally do.

Proxy should have foreseen the attack, but he hadn't expected Zurg to be so quick and strong as he pressed at all his weak spots and slammed him, in turn, in the opposite bookcase. Proxy strained against him, but Zurg was gripping his rotary joints too hard and he whirred in pain, his arms hanging limp and useless.

"I do not fear you," Proxy hissed, his eye still gleaming red. "I only fear what you'd do to Creator-Josephine... or have already done." Jo hadn't been straight with him for the last few days, and that worried him. She was avoiding some subjects with him, and though Proxy was not a paranoid individual, he could put together all the clues and telltale signs... and it sickened him.

"And I know very well what emotions are better than anger... and anger is a weakness, not a drive," he added, focusing his single eye upon him. That feeling of anger, and perhaps jealousy, was starting to eat at him again and he felt a sudden urge to strike Zurg where it hurt.

"...I had doubts about you. I thought I had misjudged you. But I see now that I was right all along." If he could, he would be smiling smugly himself. "You don't care about Creator-Josephine at all. You're just using her to feel better about yourself. Feeding off of her affection for you, your... sadism, as you put it. And when you've had your fill you'll just throw her away like trash, won't you?" he ended with a snarl.

"You and I are similar in one thing and one thing only," he continued, preparing to leave the killing blow. "We don't understand love. Never can and never will." He paused for a moment, letting the words sink in. "Just as you said yourself, no?"
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:54 am

And then, as the robot finished his retorts, the Evil Emperor burst into sudden, unrestrained laughter. It sounded maniacal at first, like the ones common when he was currently plotting about an evil scheme. But as the laughter went on, it lessened and lessened, growing quieter by the second until...he finally ceased entirely, looking upon the robot with disappointed, weary eyes.

"You really think I'm that bad...don't you...That I'm so callous as to abuse something so...so..." The Evil Emperor didn't finish his words and he slowly relinquished his hold upon Proxy's body, removing himself with a few steps back, eying the robot from afar. From this distance did he begin to analyze, bit by bit, what the robot had so boldly thrown at his very feet.

Proxy thought he was going to abuse her; to use and cast her aside like garbage, as the machine had put it. While this was indeed true for other things, such a cruel act was not valid here. Yes, the Evil Emperor was cynical, selfish, manipulative and uncaring of others, but...

But...

"I see..." Zurg cast his eyes downwards, slightly nodding as he strode over towards the book Proxy had thrown and bent over, picking it up to show the robot. "Do you take us like this book, Proxy?" He again asked, rotating the object with a face devoid of any readable features. It neither scowled, nor smiled; it simply was. "Do you think, that like this book, we are easily read without opening the cover?"

He turned to the hole in the bookshelf and slid the book in carefully, not upsetting anything else as he did so, facing the robot once more.

"Proxy...I'll be honest with you." The Evil Emperor stated. "You haven't even so much as opened the cover to my book. You've just glanced the synopsis; the overall summary the author wants you to know beforehand. And likewise, to you, I have yet to open your own tome. But..." He paused with a slight gesture. "I suppose that is inherently my fault. I do like to press buttons and tease; my sadism, as you said. My nature; my genre."

The Evil Emperor ended that moment with a shrug and a sigh.

"But also try to understand, Proxy, that like that book we have our slots to belong in; our place we like to call home." And for once, during this entire encounter, Zurg was being sincere, not a drop of sarcasm in his voice. "For you, home is with your creator; a sense you covet for security and affection. For me, home is....is complicated. And like that book, two cannot occupy the same space. It would just make the librarian upset, no? So...I guess that explains why we are here, then. Two books--you and I--wanting the same space. Do you understand? Whereas you see me as a horrifying science fiction, I am really not as scary or cruel as my synopsis leads you to believe."

And here he waited for the robot's reaction, wondering if he had made any difference at all by this point.

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:03 pm