Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Trying to Learn

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:19 am

"I thought as much," Proxy said, and wished he could smile... it must be nice to smile.

Focused on the comic at hand, he hadn't realized that Kev had finished his until he spoke. ""Oh... Batman is defeating his arch-nemesis, the Joker." He paused for a moment before adding, "It seems satisfying.... I can relate."

He peered at the other comic Kev held. "What is that? It looks different from these comics." More smooth and rotund than the sharp crisp lines and bright colors of Batman and Superman.

Last edited by Jo Pistonne on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
    Kev

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:29 am

"Ah, good for Batman~ The Joker is a creepy man..." Kev said, shivering a little bit. Jack in the boxes with heads in them...only a very disturbed man would think those up. He looked back at Proxy questioningly. "Hmm? OH! I found this in another section of the comics called 'Manga'. It looks so weird doesn't it? Nice, but weird." Kev said, opening it up to the first page, keeping it on the table so both of them could see it.

Strangely enough, the first scene in this book was a scene with two people embracing each other in a kiss. Kev blinked in confusion. "That's a strange way to begin a comic....and is that a man and a woman? Or two men? Or two women?" Kev asked, inspecting the picture closely. Both of them had long hair, and neither one had much of a bust. One of them was in a skirt though, and the other had pants, but even then he wasn't quite sure.

As for the strange beginning, Kev had failed to realize a note on the page next to that scene had a note reminding readers that in Japan, these Mangas were read from right to left, and thus began at the end.

Last edited by Kev on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:38 am

Proxy peered over Kev's shoulder at the comic, and even he had a hard time deciphering the genders. "They look male, but perhaps the one in the skirt is female and is young...?" he suggested tentatively. If there was one subject proxy was unsure of and had no intention of researching anytime soon, it was biology. Especially the biology of organics. He knew some things, but didn't want to think of some others.

"Ah, this is the end of the book," he said, pointing out the small box of text to Kev. "Strange. Organics read books both backwards and forwards?" Very curious indeed.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:52 am

Kev nodded at what Proxy said, it made sense after all.

"This is the end? Huh..strange...I never knew some people read books backwards...how weird.." Kev said, reading the box and flipping to the last page and beginning there. In the beginning was the female in a skirt that was at the end, although she was sitting down at a table eating some food. Thanks to that box, they knew to read the text from right to left. Although so far, Kev was getting bored. He had flipped through to the 5th page, and all the two had done was talk about their relationship. The male was in love with the female, who couldn't admit her feelings just yet.

"This one is boring......all it is is two people talking about love and friendship." Kev said, putting the Manga down on the table. Indeed, after reading the action packed Superman, reading a calm Manga about love was rather uninteresting.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:39 am

"...Perhaps it gets better later on?" Proxy wasn't one to judge, but he didn't think love and friendship were bad subjects to talk about. Merely elusive.

"What kind of stories do you like reading then?" the robot asked curiously.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:14 am

(LOL Jo, I just reread my previous post, and I'm sorry it sounds so disjointed xDDD I was half-asleep at the time xDDD)

"Maybe it does.....although it DID end with a kiss, so I guess the subject matter doesn't change much." Kev shrugged. He tilted his head a bit. What kinds of books DID he like to read?

"Hmm...well comics like the Superman one, I do like. I think that genre is called action? I mean, it IS an exciting subject~ A duo of enemies doing battle, a journey in search of a valuable item!! A long, savage war between countries finally put to an end by a mysterious stranger! Its more fun to read then love. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing a couple in love, but reading it, it just sounds too forced or rehearsed." Kev explained earnestly, eyes bright with excitement when he explained the different action topics.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:09 pm

(( It's alright, I got what you were trying to say. XD ))

"True," Proxy admitted. "But I think it would be interesting to read. Not every relationship is the same, is that not correct?"

He thought about shrugging, but realized his shoulders were not properly fashioned for such an action. "I think a good story is a story that holds one's interest," he decided. "Just as you said, you feel these stories about love are forced. And perhaps they are," he admitted--though Proxy still wanted to read about it and see for himself.

"...I think that stories that are fluid and realistic are the kinds of stories that deserve to be read," he finally decided. "But then again, people have different likes and dislikes. Tastes... correct?"
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:38 pm

Kev nodded a bit thoughtfully.

"Yeah, thats true...everyone has vastly different likes and tastes. Keeps us all from being the same boring blob~" Kev said, leaning back in his chair a bit. He was going to give his eyes some rest from reading. He looked at Proxy curiously. "What kind of genres do you find most interesting?" Kev asked.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:04 pm

"I... I do not now yet." What did Proxy like? Most of the reading he had down had been research. he had barely read anything simply for the sake of reading.

"Perhaps you have something to suggest? Besides action, I mean?" he asked.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:31 pm

Kev tapped his mouthless chin. Hmm...What Seemed the most like something Proxy would love? Think think think...He attempted and failed to snap his fingers, before deciding against that and just turning to Proxy.

"I have a few genres in mind you might like! One is mystery!! Let me grab one, give me just one second!" Kev said, dashing away towards the mystery section. he skimmed past Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, and snatched up a book about Sherlock Holmes. While he was near here, he went searching around in suspense/thriller and grabbed a book he'd heard of called Shutter Island. He walked back to Proxy's table and set them down in front of him. "I grabbed a psychological thriller too~"
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Proxy waited for Kev to return, then glanced down at the books he had brought him.

"...Sherlock Holmes?" he asked, turning the book over in his hands. So this was a mystery book. Did it speak about ways to solve mysteries? The thought process involved? Or was it merely for entertainment?

He looked at the other book too, titled Shutter Island. "What exactly is a psychological thriller?" he asked.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Kev nodded.

"Yep! Sherlock Holmes, he solves mysterious for others, with his smart...smartness." Kev answered, before thinking on how to explain a psychological thriller. He couldn't find any good explanations, so he grabbed up a dictionary, look up the term, and read it out loud.

"A Psychological thriller is a specific sub-genre of the wide-ranging thriller genre. However, this genre often incorporates elements from the mystery and drama genre in addition to the typical traits of the thriller genre. Also, occasionally this genre will border into the also wide-ranging horror genre.

Generally, thrillers focus on plot over character, and thus emphasize intense, physical action over the character's psyche. Psychological thrillers tend to reverse this formula to a certain degree, emphasizing the characters just as much, if not more so, than the plot.

The suspense created by psychological thrillers often comes from two or more characters preying upon one another's minds, either by playing deceptive games with the other or by merely trying to demolish the other's mental state.

Sometimes the suspense comes from within one solitary character where characters must resolve conflicts with their own minds. Usually, this conflict is an effort to understand something that has happened to them. These conflicts are made more vivid with physical expressions of the conflict in the means of either physical manifestations, or physical torsions of the characters at play.
    " Kev read from the book. He wiped his forehead a bit. "Wow, that was long."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:58 pm

"...Sounds familiar," Proxy noted dryly, but he did draw the book towards him. "But perhaps reading something fictional instead of delving constantly into facts might do some good."

He tilted his head at Kev. "Do you read more for pleasure or for research?" he asked.
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:18 am

Kev watched as Proxy took Shutter Island. He hoped Proxy would like the twist~ And the multiple possible endings. When Kev had read it, his head spun just trying to figure out what was real and what wasn't.

"Well, when I first came here, I read mainly for research. After I researched what I thought I needed to, I browsed through the shelves and discovered the fictional section! Now, unless I need to research anything else, I usually read for pleasure."
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:30 am

That was a plan. Perhaps Proxy's problem was that he kept trying to learn everything at once and didn't sit back to relax a bit himself.

"I think I will follow your example," he decided, adjusting the piles of books he had gathered and adding the other two Kev had given him to them, "but because there is so much to learn, I shall take a break and read something simple for the sake of reading it."

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:19 am