Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Trying to Learn

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:36 am

Proxy was sitting at a small corner table, piles of books placed around him in towers in some semblance of order that only the robot could tell apart. He opened one of the books, his single eye scanning the table of contents. Turning to the proper page, he then proceeded to read.

In Arabic, a genie (also jinn, jinni, djinni, from Arabic جني jinnī) is a supernatural creature which occupies a parallel world to that of mankind, and together with humans and angels makes up the three sentient creations of God (Allah). According to the Qur’ān, there are two creations that have free will: humans and jinn. Religious sources don't mention much about them; however, the Qur’an mentions that jinn are made of smokeless flame, and they form communities just like humans, and, just like humans, they can be good or evil.

The jinn are mentioned frequently in the Qur’an, and there is a surah entitled Sūrat al-Jinn. While Christian tradition suggests that Lucifer was an angel that rebelled against God's orders, Islam maintains that Iblīs was a jinni who was granted special privilege to live amongst angels prior to his rebellion. After the rebellion, he was granted a respite to lead humans astray until the Day of Judgment. However, Iblis has no power to mislead true believers in God. Although some scholars have ruled that it is apostasy to disbelieve in one of God's creations, the belief in jinn has fallen compared to the belief in angels in other Abrahamic traditions.

"Hmmm," he said to himself, pausing as he looked up from the book. "This raises more questions than solves my answers..."

Last edited by Jo Pistonne on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    Kev

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Trying to Learn

Post by Kev on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:51 am

Kev lurked around quietly in the comic section of the Library. He had come into the library many times to read up on anything he could, usually staying in the Nonfiction area. After hearing about the strange and interesting concepts of 'comics', he decided to research them too. A few of the comics he had grabbed weren't comics, so much as something called a 'Manga'. The art style was different from the others, but he was excited to read these too.

One of the comics he had in his hands was a comic with a muscular humanoid creature standing victorious, red cape flowing in the wind. Just a glance at the cover had relayed to him that this man was an alien, the last of his kind, and was dedicated to keeping Earth safe.

Another comic had a dark, gloomy looking man in a mask on the cover, fighting another man, who looked a lot like the Joker....Kev had shuddered when he saw the Joker on that cover. His last experience with the man wasn't exactly a fun one.

Kev looked around for a spot to sit and read his selection. His eyes looked around the library, but he couldn't find a free spot anywhere. Finally, he saw a spot over in the corner, and as he came closer, he noticed Jo's robot, Proxy.

"Greetings Proxy! Mind if I sit with you?" Kev asked, eyeing the various piles of books around the robot.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:02 am

Lost in thought, it took Proxy by surprise when he looked up to see Kev. "Oh! Hello Kev-Mak-Tarr. No, I don't mind at all. Please, have a seat."

He pulled the mound of books closer to him to make the Kryptonistanian some room, clutching the book he was reading to his chest. "How have you been? I trust you have been well?"

Last edited by Jo Pistonne on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:13 am

Kev nodded in thanks as he sat down in the open seat, gently placing his selection of comics down in front of him.

"Yes, I've been well, and yourself?" Kev asked. He glanced at the large piles of books again before speaking again. "Are you researching things too? You sure have QUITE a large selection of books." Kev remarked, resisting the urge to poke the piles of books on the table. He was impressed that Proxy appeared to be reading all of these books in just one sitting. He himself had to tiptoe his way through it, although then again, he had to learn how to read 'English', so that probably didn't help.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:46 pm

"I have been well. Somewhat... lonely," he admitted hesitantly, "but well."

He whirred, then attempted a nod, though his neck was not nimble enough for it to be a successful imitation. "Oh yes. After that talk in the sanctuary, I have been trying to find out more about djinn, comics and... love." His single eye blinked, and he even managed to look ashamed for a robot with no facial expressions.

"But you're probably not interested in all that," Proxy said then, closing his book. "What are you doing in the library, Kev-Mak-Tarr? Are you also researching? Perhaps I could be of some assistance."
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:09 am

Kev nodded sympathetically when Proxy mentioned being lonely. He himself was feeling a tad lonely. He hadn't seen Carrie or Zurg in a long while, Jo was on vacation, and Jana was acting disturbingly distant. He had Swindle and Overcast to hang out with, but sometimes they were a little busy with each other, and Kev didn't want to interfere with their time together.

"Djinn, comics and love, very diverse subjects. Sounds interesting~" Kev said, admiring the piles of books again. He nodded at Proxy's inquiry. "Yes, I'm researching comics as well. From what I've heard, they sound very interesting. And sure, you could help! Although I can't really think of any ways for you to help me at the moment." Kev said, rubbing the back of his neck.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:20 am

"If we are researching a common interest, I'm sure we can be of some help to each other. Perhaps not now, but later," Proxy pointed out, some of his previously-cold calculating self coming out again.

"However..." He tapped his fingers upon the cover of the book still clutched in his hands. "I could use some assistance now myself."

He turned to face the alien, hesitantly. "I must admit that the concept of... love completely eludes me." He tried to sound more casual about it, but it was difficult with a usually-monotone and electronic-sounding voice. "Do.... do you know what love is?"
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:25 am

Kev blinked a little at the question and tapped his finger tips together, contemplating his answer. Love was a very complicated thing to have to explain, not to mention, he wasn't exactly an expert in love.

"Well....I THINK I know it...Love is a complicated emotion Proxy, not something to consider lightly..." Kev started, hoping he wasn't losing the robot yet. "Love is usually when you feel a strong devotion, mentally and emotionally, to someone. And there are two types of love that I am aware of....There is Romantic Love, and Familial Love. Romantic love is centered around a single person, or maybe more if your culture has that type of thing......when you love a person romantically, you can't help but try to make them happy....moments you spend together are enjoyable and fun...romantic love is not something to take lightly Proxy....several people here have told someone that they loved them, and yet they departed so easily...." Kev explained. He left out the 'physical' part of love for two reasons. One, his culture never connected mating to love anyway, and two, Proxy was a robot, he probably didn't want or need to know about mating rituals.

"Now, familial love, is the type of love you'd either have towards close friends or family members. You are devoted to them and loyal, and you enjoy spending time with them as well. Like, you probably have some familial love for Jo right? Since she is your creator. Something to remember Proxy, is you should not be blindly devoted and loyal, and you shouldn't put people on a pedestal. Dani is a good person to use as an example. She loves Phantom like a brother, but she never realizes the kind of guy he is....I like the guy too, but I realize that he isn't exactly sane, and that he can do bad things. She doesn't. If he does something bad, it is NEVER his fault. As much as you love them, they are people too, and people are full of flaws. Its just the way it is." Kev shrugged. He stopped with his 'explanation', ready to answer Proxy's questions, hoping he could answer them without confusing the poor bot.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:46 pm

Proxy listened to Kev's words in earnest, taking in every word, his single blue eye intensifying at times as he was on the cusp of understanding, then dimming when he realized there was still plenty more to learn and that the answer wasn't sufficient.

"Kev-Mak-Tarr," Proxy said, placing his book on the desk and laying a large, broad hand against it. "I think I've understood the concept of love more properly now, but I must admit that you confused me with your descriptions. Romantic love and familial love sound very similar to me..."

He hesitated slightly, then ventured, "Despite someone's faults, if we love them, we will try to make them happy, no matter what.... is that not correct?"
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:02 am

Kev rubbed the back of his neck, slightly embarrassed when Proxy admitted to being a little confused by what he had said. Ah well, he knew it would probably happen.

"Sorry Proxy. I don't have much experience with love, so most of what I said is what I've been taught since I was young. At least you understood something though!" Kev said, before stopping to listen to what Proxy said next.

Kev nodded earnestly. "Yep! That's it in a nut shell Proxy~" Kev answered, happy Proxy had absorbed at least some of what he said.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:07 am

Proxy nodded, or at least tried to again. "Yes, you did help me immensely, Kev-Mak-Tarr, and for that I am grateful."

With a small whir that sounded suspiciously like a sigh, he then asked, "But... what about promises to those we love? We must keep them, no matter what... correct?"
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:13 am

Kev nodded and made a dismissive gesture, as if to say 'Any time'. He blinked a bit at what Proxy said and leaned forward curiously.

"Well Proxy...it depends on what this promise entails. If its something like keeping a simple secret, then yes, you keep the promise. But if its something that could harm someone...then you probably shouldn't keep the promise." Kev said, getting very curious about what this promise was.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:22 am

Proxy looked down at his hands, then at the books around him, then up at the ceiling. Almost as if he felt he was cornered and didn't know what to do.

He began to fiddle a bit with the binding of the book, perhaps even unconsciously. "What if... what if you think it can harm someone, but are... unsure? Yet your loved one insists on otherwise...?" He looked back at Kev. "Aren't promises important? Aren't you always supposed to keep them?" If you... love someone?"
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:33 am

Kev tapped his fingertips together, thinking. This was very...interesting and slightly confusing.

"I'm....not sure Proxy. Promises are important, especially if its to someone you love....but if you are uncomfortable with it, it might be best to listen to your instincts.....maybe I could be of more help if I knew?" Kev asked, concerned.
    Jo Pistonne
    Zettabyte

Zettabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Jo Pistonne on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:47 am

"I... I cannot tell you. I am sorry." He tore a corner of the binding off in his agitation, his single eye winking, as if wondering how he had done such a thing unaware. "I promised... not to say anything..."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:24 am