Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

It's Good To Be Home

Post by Hellboy on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:17 am

Hellboy whistled a merry tune as he strode into the familiar surroundings of what was Planet Z's centre of power. He was back from the dead, so to speak, after having been trapped in the Underworld for so long with that accursed task Nergal had set him with. But he had finally managed to escape at long last, helping XR out in the process, more than ready to find all his friends and tell them the good news. But despite his euphoria, his brow wrinkled, his expression darkening.

He recalled how Nergal had been reluctant to give him the specifics about how he had died--all he had told him was that he had turned into a zombie and had to be put down--he wondered what kind of consequences that would have. After having appeared ghost-like in the sanctuary--an experience he hoped never to repeat again--and finding out how devastated Liz had been--he felt an ache in his chest just thinking about it--he was more than ready to sweep her up in his arms and give her a good, hearty kiss, among other things... and he hoped Xenon and Zurg we all right too.

No one had been home, so he assumed Liz had brought the twins here, probably because Eona wanted to see Zurg and Trevor wanted to see Xenon. How odd that his twins had found favourites in his two closest friends in the Breach already. He chuckled under his breath, shaking his head as he made his way to--where else?--the throne room.

Pushing open the door, the wide grin faded from his face as he was met with nothing but the vast empty chamber. His hoofs echoed hollowly against the walls as he walked inside. He had been sure that he'd find everyone here... where else could they be? Maybe Zurg had taken them on a tour somewhere and would be back later or something. but the demon found it slightly disconcerting, now that he thought about it, that he hadn't encountered anyone on his way here. He had clearance to come and go whenever he pleased, but he had expected to see a grub or a brainpod, hell, even a hornet. But so far, he hadn't run into anyone, nor anything.

Settling down at the foot of the throne, he pulled out the bottle of wine Nergal had supplied him with and uncorked it with his teeth, taking a long draught. That sure hit the spot, he decided, smacking his lips. But it did little to dissuade all the little thoughts creeping on the inside of his head like spiders, wondering, worrying, doubting...
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: It's Good To Be Home

Post by Zurg on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:48 am

"He's not in."

The voice came from a lonely brain pod, the number 11, and it rolled up to the red fellow in a most casual and carefree manner; its artificial brows cocked slightly in both curiosity and suspicion.

"I would suspect you are here for visitation, yes?" Brain pod 11 inquired, doing a little circle around the man before parking in front. "I mean, who would honestly in their right mind come up into the throne room all willy-nilly with a bottle of booze and expect a hearty, warm welcome?" The brain chuckled, a bit quirky and nerdy at the same time.

"Do you need help or assistance with anything?"
    Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:57 am

"Uh... yeah. Visitation... right," Hellboy said slowly, cocking a brow at the brainpod in puzzlement. He recalled 42 saying how most pods were so immersed in their personal projects that they barely registered what happened around them, so it was rather... surprising that the pod knew Zurg wasn't in, yet didn't seem to recognize the demon who spent most of his time here anyway.

Unless... he had been gone for far longer than he had originally thought.

He scoffed at the way his mind jumped erratically to the silly conclusion. It hadn't seemed like a very long time when he'd been welcomed back in the sanctuary with open arms. He tilted his head to the side, half-opening his mouth to tell the pod that he was in no need of assistance, when an epiphany struck him, and they were so rare that he usually heeded them.

"Yeah, actually, maybe you can help me," the demon said, recorking his bottle. "Do you have any idea where Zurg is? And everyone else too, for the matter?"
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:00 am

"Ah. The Evil Emperor has recently returned from the hospital--but why he would spend time at a local hospital when our technology is far superior is beyond me." The brain muttered off to the side before it readdressed the red man. "However, I have no knowledge to say what happened of the other...guests."

And at this, 11 was referring to both Xenon and Liz--both women the brain knew nothing about.

"But if you want to see his Evilness, he is currently making some last preparations in the med bay. Can I assume that you are able to find the elevator yourself, or shall I accompany you to it?"
    Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:11 am

"Wait! Did you just say hospital?" Hellboy jumped to his feet so fast that he forgot the wine bottle in his haste, not that it mattered at the moment. His brain was running at high speed, a million thoughts rushing through his head all at once.

"Uh--yeah, I know where the elevator is," the demon mumbled distractedly, running out of the throne room and leaving the bemused brainpod behind.

He ran down the corridor and skidded to a stop in front of the service elevator, hastily pressing the button a few times as he fervently hoped that the elevator was already on the same level... and bingo, it was. Quickly slipping inside, he punched the button that would take him down to the medbay's level, shifting his weight from one foot to the other as he paced inside, wishing the damned thing would go faster.

After a few minutes--which had felt like an eternity--the doors groaned open, and Hellboy darted outside, running down the hallway with his coat flapping erratically behind him until finally reaching the large medbay doors, which he slipped through as they slid open, too impatient for them to open all the way.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:17 am

"Hmph, what's his hurry..." 11 mumbled before rolling off.

Further down the palace's interior, a familiar red-and-white Beetle, now resigned only for health care, rumbled lethargically around the amply-named "med bay"; attending the sole patron for today.

"Yes, yes, they didn't stick me with nickel, Dolores." A familiar, dual-toned voice sighed before grumbling. "What? No, I do NOT remember being injected with intravenous flui--Well, what does that supposed to mean?!"

The Beetle began to lecture in a series of low mechanical beeps and boops, leaving a rather miffed Evil Emperor to cross his arms and look away with a pout.

"Well yes, that's why I'm here. I don't trust those people down below, on the planet. You know my quirks and habits! I trust you more than those peace-loving, tree-hugging Rhizomia---?"

Conversation stopped as the med bay doors opened, and Zurg felt his eyes glow. Didn't he specifically say no guests!? Didn't he say that!? He was quite certain he did! Ohhhh, how he hated having visitors when he wasn't looking his best! It only added for gossip and other ill-aligned concepts!

"Who are you and what do yo--" He stopped halfway in his bark, and felt his voice completely cut off as he saw who it was.

"...................Red?"
    Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:27 am

Hellboy realised that he probably looked ridiculous, having nearly lost his balance in his haste to get inside, half-hunched over with his tail sticking up rather awkwardly. He straightened and flexed the appendage, rubbing the back of his neck with a hand.

"Uh, hi, Zurg," he said meekly, with a small wave. "A brainpod told me I'd, um, find you here..."

Now that he was actually face-to-face with Zurg, he felt pretty self-conscious. He couldn't even recall what their past encounter had been like--damn that Nergal and his evasiveness--but Zurg looked downright... well damn. He looked absolutely horrible. His face was covered in large black splotches, parts of it swollen here and there--and if his face looked that bad then his body covered by his classic battle regalia was probably way worse.

"Damn..." Hellboy breathed. "How did--what happened to you?"

A sinking feeling in the pits of his stomach told him that he probably already knew the answer, but damn it all to hell he just couldn't remember anything. His mind was a complete blank. A complete and utter blank. He couldn't be the cause of all that, could he?
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:32 am

"So that flower-growing, coffee-drinking demonkin of yours didn't elaborate the situation, did he? I can tell because your face is rather amusing right now. Dolores, do you mind excusing us? I have some business to discuss with my agent."

The Beetle did as it was told and rumbled off into a far corner, entering hibernation mode and leaving the presence of the room entirely as the Evil Emperor, now free to do as he pleased without the robotic caretaker, hunched over a tad and slightly hovered over a table for support.

"This brace she put on me is almost downright murder..." He winced, shaking his head as he tried to remain standing. "The old girl is sure to punish me this time for seeking aid from a foreign hospital first. But let's get down to why you're really here."

The Evil Emperor, taking a bold chance, decided to approach his agent to the best of his current ability--his feet heavy and his gait slow as he practically limped from increment from increment; baby bit by baby bit.

"You're here to know what happened, aren't you."
    Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:46 am

Hellboy could only gawk in mute horror as Zurg began to limp over to him. "Jesus, Zurg, just sit down!" he exclaimed, rushing forward to guide the emperor to the nearby stretcher. "Don't try to be macho around me." Not when you look like you'll break to pieces, he added silently to himself.

The demon let out his breath explosively, scratching at the bald spot on his head dazedly, still fretting over Zurg's condition before his words finally managed to sink in. His posture slumped as he shook his head, shifting his hand from his scalp to his brow as he exhaled explosively, massaging his temples.

"Well, I came here to find you all and tell you that I was back," he admitted, his tone turning more sullen with each word. "Nergal and everyone else at the sanctuary I encountered were being very... evasive about the events that led to... my demise." He shrugged expansively. "All they'd tell me was that I'd turned into a zombie and had to be put down, and that Liz was devastated. Which is understandable--hell, I'd be a wreck if anything happened to her too. But you? No one told me about you..."

He stopped pacing to take in the emperor's battered figure, a lump forming in his throat. It was some time before he finally managed to utter "...Did I do all that?"
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:54 am

"No, no, no; I will not sit down." The Evil Emperor refused firmly, pushing the agent's hands away. It wasn't that he didn't want the man's help--Craters, it would be foolish to reject the hand that provided your defensive support--but Zurg really wanted to remain standing, so that he could practice getting used to the pain of Dolores' confounded treatments.

And also because it was a matter of pride, and he, like everyone else, had a dash of it.

"I already knew you were back." Zurg replied dryly, dismissing a hand airily at the demon. "We're both portal whatevers, so we feel when people depart, you could say." Hmph, this magic stuff was more creepy than useful. At least in his opinion.

The Evil Emperor listened to Red speak, however, and slightly shook his head at the entire story.

"By the sounds of it, they told you what you needed to know. You became a zombie, you rampaged, destroyed a few pieces of probably expensive property that will not be coming out of my insurance..." He gestured on and on as he rambled.

And stopped, as he quickly picked his head up to stare at the demon with one, long good look.

"You shouldn't be here, Red. It's like they said: Liz was devastated. You need to go see her first before you see me." Zurg grumbled in that petulant voice of his. Did he really want to send Red on his way? No! Of course not! He wanted to stay on talk! To wrap things up! But the better half--and it truly was annoying--whispered in his horns to inform Red about his bonded's state.

"She needs you more than I do right now. What everyone said was decent of them--it's all that needs to be said. Sufficient, enough, filling. Go see her at the hospital on Portal Breach. That was the last location I saw her."
    Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:09 am

"Yeah, having those portal doohickeys is a real pain in the ass sometimes," he griped, scuffing at the ground with a hoof.

But some of that good old temper of his was beginning to rise with each word Zurg uttered. "Dammit, Zurg, I went there first. I went home and no one was there. Which was why I assumed you were all here.

"And no, it's not sufficient or filling enough," he spat as he started to pace again. "I need to know what happened. How can I face her knowing I probably did something terrible, only I don't remember what?"

He came to an abrupt stop and about-faced. "Hell, I could barely face you the second I saw just what the bloody hell I did to you!"

And then his blood ran cold and he felt as if the world had begun to spin. "She's in the hospital?" he croaked. If Zurg had already been discharged, and he was limping like that... just what the hell had he done to Liz? He clutched at his face, fingers trembling, almost forgetting how to breathe.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:19 am

"Oh, don't be so hard on yourself..."

Zurg threw out another hand, while his dominant reached out to grasp the gurney for support. At this rate, he was going to be doing an awful lot of sitting with what Dolores did to him.

"It was a hard battle and...things had to be done in order to achieve minimum...casualties." The Evil Emperor said the last word slowly, letting it dangle on his tongue a bit before he continued with a slight change of tempo. "That said, Liz is fine. She's just feeling a bit of psychological hardship. When you died, the bond was a bit severed. I...I wouldn't really know as outsiders have never been tested, but I'd imagine with your resurrection, it will come back in due time and she will slowly recover."

At least, he hoped so.

"We're fine; all of us. Xenon survived, Liz, Lightyear, Scoot got a nasty infection but he'll pull through. And me, well, you've seen it for your own, two eyes." The Evil Emperor went on, this time finally giving in and seating upon the bed with a wince as he clutched his stomach. "Ugh, this is going to ruin my self-image, you do know this."

And he normally charged for those kinds of boo-boos, too!

"Anyway...." Zurg spoke after a few silent, awkward moments. "I...have something of yours. Over there." He pointed with a shaken finger towards a locked, reinforced teryllium crate. "I...had it stored here, in case you came back for it, so when you're ready, go ahead and take it. It is yours, after all."
    Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:45 pm

The demon clenched and unclenched his fists, then clenched them again, repeating the procedure mechanically, each word Zurg spoke weighing heavily upon his conscience like a boulder. He moistened his lips, before finally croaking, "So I did do this to you. I... lost control." It wasn't a question, but a statement.

Losing his mind as a zombie when he had been trying so hard not to succumb to his more demonic side was a damned way to lose control. Zurg probably didn't even want to look at him let alone talk to him after whatever the hell he did to him. Hellboy shook his head, gritting his teeth. He had thought that things could go back to normal once he came back. They'd laugh about it, crack a joke or two, then everything would be all right... or so he had originally thought. No wonder no one had been forthcoming with answers. He... he must have been... monstrous.

"Anyway.... I...have something of yours. Over there. I...had it stored here, in case you came back for it, so when you're ready, go ahead and take it. It is yours, after all."

The demon looked up at Zurg, then focused his gaze upon the crate. Though his consternation far surpassed his curiosity, he strode over toward it and broke the lock with a sharp tug, drawing open the lid.

There, nestled inside, was his trusty revolver, the Samaritan. Hellboy felt a lump form in his throat as he lifted it up in his hands, his eyes roving over the nasty blood splatter along the size. He trailed his fingers along it delicately, his gut churning.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:55 pm

"I tried to clean it as best I could, but bleach can only do so much when you're dealing with demon blood and all that supernatural jazz."

Seeing the demon's reaction only made him sigh, and the Evil Emperor decided to hobble on over towards the shocked henchmen. A depressed agent wasn't a good agent at all, nor were they very productive!

"It's in the past, Red." Zurg remarked casually, clapping a hand upon the demon's shoulder for both sentiments and support. Hey, Red was a great cane to use! And inconspicuous, too! "We didn't like it, I didn't like it, you didn't like it; but it had to be done. What matters is that you're back now, alive and well, and things can resume as they once were. Maybe not quite the same, but they can resume."

His eyes drifted down to the blood splatter and the Evil Emperor let out a wry grin.

"You know, I can almost see why you like firing projectile weaponry. If not for putting you down--which I didn't quite enjoy--I wouldn't have realized that simple guns such as those have quite a kick!"
    Hellboy
    Inactive Account

Inactive Account

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Hellboy on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:15 pm

"You really think so?" Hellboy asked, turning around to look at him. "That we can pick up where we left off?"

He looked him over; black bruises, swollen skin, cracked teeth, doubled-over in his pain, then looked away. "Jesus, Zurg, I'm sorry," he croaked. "I... well, if it's any worth to you, if I'd been conscious of my actions I would've never beaten you up so bad."

He did manage a small smile, however, at Zurg's joke. "Yeah..." he said, holstering the gun.

"So... Liz is at the hospital?"

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:19 am